The Netherlands
✟68,226.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ok I'm going to open up a can of worms here. I'm sure I'll get lots of opinions, theories and scriptures quoted (probably out of context lol), but here goes. Okay, Christians often say that inappropriate contentography is a sin to look at or watch. And no, I'm not advocating it but I also don't know if I see the harm. Let me qualify that statement before everyone flips out on me: I definitely can see the harm it does to married couples if one person is into it and the other is not. It's degrading and shameful for the couple and it denigrates God's gift of sex. There's no question of that.

But what about for the single? Most Christians (who are married) condemn it for the single. But my question is, why? Yes, we know what Jesus said in Matthew 5:28, but the word He used there was "adultery" not "fornication", which would logically imply that either you who are lusting, or the object of your lust, if not both, are married. If both parties were unmarried, he would not have used the word we translate as "adultery." So I don't think it applies, based off of the text.

And I say this for a few reasons. Most single Christians I know would rather be married. In fact I don't know any that wouldn't. God's not going to magically remove someone's god-given libido any more than He will remove your desire for food. It's built in. So what is the single person to do? 'Resist temptation' some might say, ok. But if it's not a sin, then the question is WHY is he resisting it? Let's say God has called you to live a life devoted to Him and He forbids marriage. Some will say, "You should get married because Paul says it's better to have marry than have unfulfilled lust or passion." Fair enough, but the Bible is clear that marriage is a lesser state for man and one is further off remaining single to serve the Lord. So, how exactly would a man or woman being 'sinning' if they are doing God's will by remaining unmarried, yet they look at inappropriate content? That's the question.

So commence opening can of worms...

Dear SullivanZ,

Maybe it is already mentioned for I didn't had the time yet to read the whole thread. But besides the topic has anybody considered the pain and suffering a lot of inappropriate content actors are experiencing due to the fact that most actors are not voluntarily doing this. Think of human-trafficking, making drug dependant, extortion, rape, physical and mental abuse by pimps and traffickers? By watching and participating (masturbating) in this you become part of this system. This is absolutely no attack but how I learned to see this. I mean this with best intend and hope it's helpful. I'll pray to God to help all fighting this addiction to inappropriate content.

Best regards and God bless,
Richard

Reactions: Poppyseed78
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A friend told me that sexual repression is a downside when it comes to the extremely religious. (Born Catholic myself)...but, some seem tie sexual repression and winds up having Christians perverse sex as opposed to embracing the human side of it.
Repression is kinda like that game of "Whack a Mole" my kids used to play. You bash it down in one place and it pops up somewhere else, knock it down there and it pops up in a 3rd place, and so on.

The problem with sex is with every iteration it gets increasingly more bizarre or perverse.

Just as the highest incidences of alcoholism are among communities that have an absolute prohibition on alcohol consumption, those who try to suppress all sexuality also have high incidences of inappropriate content use and addiction, and inappropriate sexual behavior.

Reactions: Poppyseed78
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But my question is, why? Yes, we know what Jesus said in Matthew 5:28, but the word He used there was "adultery" not "fornication", which would logically imply that either you who are lusting, or the object of your lust, if not both, are married. If both parties were unmarried, he would not have used the word we translate as "adultery." So I don't think it applies, based off of the text.
In biblical usage, "adultery" meant the WOMAN was married. Since it was legal to have more than one wife, that did not apply to married men.

And the word "lust" (epithumeo) just means any strong desire, good or bad.** In the LXX it was used to translate "covet" in the 10 commandments. And Matt 5 is our Lord going over the 10 commandments and the Rabbinic extensions thereof. So when He says to look at a [married] woman to lust after her, He was talking about coveting. You have to have HER and not anyone else. You have a strong desire to take her away from her husband so you can possess her. One former pastor of mine said it is raised almost to the level of idolatry.

** This verse has 2 forms of epithumeo - noun and verb; and shows the good side of it. I have added "lust" for each:

[URL='https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+22:15&version=NASB']Luke 22:15 KJV[/URL]
And he said unto them, With desire [lust] I have desired [lusted] to eat this passover with you before I suffer:​

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Erotica (written inappropriate contentography) - simply erotic words/literature. Absolutely no imagery.
inappropriate contentography comes from 2 Greek words: inappropriate contentas and Graphos.

inappropriate contentas = a class of slaves in ancient Greece put into the sex trade - prostitutes.
Graphos - writing.

"inappropriate contentography" literally means the writings of prostitutes.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I don't find inappropriate contentography wrong unless it comes to the point where it's an addiction. When someone is addicted to inappropriate content, they start to see human beings as physical objects.
Interesting statement. I am not quite sure I would put it that way, but it does show some thought. A good start.

I would say that whether something is inappropriate content or not lies in the eyes and attitudes of the beholder. If you objectify the person (real or not) and their actions as a source of erotic entertainment, (to intentionally make you aroused) then it becomes inappropriate content. That means 2 people can see the exact same image and to one it can be information and teaching, to the other it is inappropriate content.Ant to a third person, it may be just art. (like classical nude paintings and sculptures)
My point is that watching something like inappropriate content may seem harmless, but like all venial sins, when it becomes a habit it can become a mortal sin. Also it is a lustful act which is a deadly sin.
Here you kind of reversed yourself from what you said in your first sentence. Where do you see that that particular break away point is? (going from venial to mortal sin)

I do see your point about how are single men supposed to control their sexual desire. This is also a problem for many priests.
I do not know many priests; and those I have known, we have never had a conversation on this topic or anything even in the same time zone.

I have heard that they are intensely vetted to ensure they have the charismatic gift of celibacy - which means if they truly have that gift, this is not an issue for them.

As to single men and women dealing with their sex drives, it is of UTMOST importance to make sure it does NOT become your enemy. When you get married, you will want it fully on line and embraced. It should be your FRIEND, as all of God's good gifts should be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Handlotion

Dec 12, 2017
Muskego
✟16,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Interesting statement. I am not quite sure I would put it that way, but it does show some thought. A good start.

I would say that whether something is inappropriate content or not lies in the eyes and attitudes of the beholder. If you objectify the person (real or not) and their actions as a source of erotic entertainment, (to intentionally make you aroused) then it becomes inappropriate content. That means 2 people can see the exact same image and to one it can be information and teaching, to the other it is inappropriate content.Ant to a third person, it may be just art. (like classical nude paintings and sculptures)

Here you kind of reversed yourself from what you said in your first sentence. Where do you see that that particular break away point is? (going from venial to mortal sin)

I do not know many priests; and those I have known, we have never had a conversation on this topic or anything even in the same time zone.

I have heard that they are intensely vetted to ensure they have the charismatic gift of celibacy - which means if they truly have that gift, this is not an issue for them.

As to single men and women dealing with their sex drives, it is of UTMOST importance to make sure it does NOT become your enemy. When you get married, you will want it fully on line and embraced. It should be your FRIEND, as all of God's good gifts should be.
I think it becomes a mortal sin when it becomes an uncontrollable addiction. When the sin comes out of your control, it can take you. The more vices (bad habits) you do, the less control you have over your own actions. At one point (if habitually done) your sin may take over you. This may sound crazy but just hear me out. I learned that the more you practice virtues, the easier it is to be virtuous and the more you have control over yourself. And on the other hand, the more you practice vices, the less control you have over yourself.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it becomes a mortal sin when it becomes an uncontrollable addiction.
As not being someone who grew up with the venial/mortal sin distinction, I am in no position to judge that call. But I would say that it becomes sinful well before that point. When it becomes primarily a source of arousal is where I would put the "sinful" point.
The more vices (bad habits) you do, the less control you have over your own actions.
the more you practice virtues, the easier it is to be virtuous and the more you have control over yourself.
Quite true on both points.
the more you practice vices, the less control you have over yourself.
Self-control is listed by Paul as part of the "fruit of the Spirit." (Galatians 5:22) Interestingly, he does NOT mention that as a remedy for sexual need. Instead, he says "It is better to marry than to burn with passion. (1 Corinthians 7:9)

"Burning with passion" is something most everyone over 13 or 14 years old has experienced at some point in their life; and it is what can turn something God-designed and God-given (and therefore a GOOD thing) into our enemy.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
inappropriate content is sexual immorality. It is pure [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ing and there is no love in. inappropriate content will kill your marriage, make you shy away from real conversation with girls and your habit will get worse and worse and more and more hardcore. inappropriate content will never satisfy your needs in the sense that you will always think there's better women out there, you will undoubtedly cheat on your partner and it will leave scars in your mind forever even if you manage to quit. inappropriate content is a vice, not a silly habit you can stop.
The 4 main vices are smoking, drugs, gambling and sex. Getting hooked up with any of these will destroy your life.

God knows our sexual desire, but insists it be kept for marriage. inappropriate content is not from God, it's from the devil. You see Satan knows we have a sexual need so all he has to do is present the temptation to us and walah. For years I watched inappropriate content so I know first hand the damage it has done. Even after being set free from it, the temptation is still as strong as ever and I have fallen to its power from time to time. It is a filthy thing to watch inappropriate content, not because I enjoyed it but because it grabs hold of you and will be almost impossible to shake off. Fasting for days and prayer is what set me free. " some demons can only come out by prayer and fasting" Mark 9 29

I too tried to justify myself by watching inappropriate content. When I hadn't access to inappropriate content, well I had access to any woman walking down the street. I used go out and gets numbers from different girls although my fiancé was at home with our unborn child. If I saw a girl I liked, I would go home and watch a inappropriate contentstar that looks just like her and fantasise doing to her what I was watching. When the bible says run from sexual immorality, it says it for a reason. All other sin is outside of the body and can be stopped more easily but with sex and since its part of our nature it has easy access and can destroy us from within.
DONT [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] AROUND WITH inappropriate content, I SAY, DONT [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] AROUND WITH inappropriate content

As for resisting temptation, again I say fast. When the mind controls the body, it's easier. I would definitely recommend you start fasting without any food. The body will naturally cry out for food but when the mind tells the body when it wants to eat, you start controlling your body and are able to keep it in check and pleasing to God more eas.

REMEMBER, DONT MESS AROUND WITH inappropriate content, IT WILL KILL YOU MENTALLY AND MOST DEFINITELY SPIRITUALY

Upvote 0

Dan61861

7 days without God, makes one weak.
Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is much better to humble ourselves before the Lord, than it is to excuse our sin. inappropriate content is a sin, it is Lust of the flesh. Each of us sin, there is none that doesn't. It is how we handle our sin that's important. A righteous man falls seven times and gets back up. We take our sin to the Lord, cleaving unto Him. Knowing within ourselves there is no righteousness, Jesus is our righteousness. Jesus is our goodness. He has defeated sin, something we all fail to do.

God forbid that we do sin, yet when we do...we have Christ.

In Christ
Daniel

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I haven't read all the posts, so this may be redundant, but here's the crux of it. God doesn't want us to do anything that hurts others, if we can help it. No matter your marital status, inappropriate content hurts the girls and guys who are photographed and videotaped. Even if they are consenting to participation, do we really believe that sort of exploitation was their dream when they were 5 years old and looking at the life ahead of them? Do we believe it is the dream God had/has for them. I don't see any way we can justify inappropriate content. Someone along the way is always hurt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handlotion

Dec 12, 2017
Muskego
✟16,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
PLEASE DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS COMMENTS. I have since learned that not only inappropriate contentography but also masturbation are both mortal sins. (Thomas Aquintas’ Summa Theologica) We should avoid them at all costs if we want to remain in a state of grace and enter the kingdom of Heaven!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok I'm going to open up a can of worms here. I'm sure I'll get lots of opinions, theories and scriptures quoted (probably out of context lol), but here goes. Okay, Christians often say that inappropriate contentography is a sin to look at or watch. And no, I'm not advocating it but I also don't know if I see the harm. Let me qualify that statement before everyone flips out on me: I definitely can see the harm it does to married couples if one person is into it and the other is not. It's degrading and shameful for the couple and it denigrates God's gift of sex. There's no question of that.

But what about for the single? Most Christians (who are married) condemn it for the single. But my question is, why? Yes, we know what Jesus said in Matthew 5:28, but the word He used there was "adultery" not "fornication", which would logically imply that either you who are lusting, or the object of your lust, if not both, are married. If both parties were unmarried, he would not have used the word we translate as "adultery." So I don't think it applies, based off of the text.

And I say this for a few reasons. Most single Christians I know would rather be married. In fact I don't know any that wouldn't. God's not going to magically remove someone's god-given libido any more than He will remove your desire for food. It's built in. So what is the single person to do? 'Resist temptation' some might say, ok. But if it's not a sin, then the question is WHY is he resisting it? Let's say God has called you to live a life devoted to Him and He forbids marriage. Some will say, "You should get married because Paul says it's better to have marry than have unfulfilled lust or passion." Fair enough, but the Bible is clear that marriage is a lesser state for man and one is further off remaining single to serve the Lord. So, how exactly would a man or woman being 'sinning' if they are doing God's will by remaining unmarried, yet they look at inappropriate content? That's the question.

The things you subject yourself to will come back to haunt you in your thoughts. inappropriate contentography is still considered lust and is considered a sin. Adultery is not only cheating on your spouse but engaging in premarital sex. By watching inappropriate contentography you have already committed adultery in your heart.

“For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.”
‭‭1 JOHN‬ ‭2:16-17‬ ‭NASB‬‬

“Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.”
‭‭ROMANS‬ ‭13:13-14‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Upvote 0

Handlotion

Dec 12, 2017
Muskego
✟16,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Personally, I don't find inappropriate contentography wrong unless it comes to the point where it's an addiction.
CORRECTION: inappropriate contentography is a mortal sin because it removes the marriage act from within the sacramental sanctity of marriage, perverts sex, and is gravely contrary to charity. The church also teaches that masturbation is a mortal sin because sex has two main purposes that must be sought in the marriage act: reproduction and unification.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why is it a "sin"? For everyone, anyway?

It's a sin TO YOU, yes. I don't think anyone should violate his or her conscience, but to everyone else... how can you say that it's a "sin" to everyone on planet earth, including those whom God has demanded remain single for life??? :confused:

I don't follow that logic.

You mentioned that you view inappropriate content because you wanna satisfy your sexual desires, but sex was made for marriage so by biblical standards you're already perverting it by getting involved in it outside marriage and this is a sin

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why is it a "sin"? For everyone, anyway?

It's a sin TO YOU, yes. I don't think anyone should violate his or her conscience, but to everyone else... how can you say that it's a "sin" to everyone on planet earth, including those whom God has demanded remain single for life??? :confused:

I don't follow that logic.

You mentioned that you view inappropriate content because you wanna satisfy your sexual desires, but sex was made for marriage so by biblical standards you're already perverting it by getting involved in it outside marriage and this is a sin

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

So I'm the single guy, that generally prefers to be single. For whatever reason, my desire for women, is somewhat low I guess.

Regardless, the answer is really simple.

If you have a problem with your sex drive, get married. There is only one solution given throughout the entire Bible for a sex drive.... get married.

Yes, looking at other people's wives, or women you are not married to, is sin. Don't do it.

It's that simple. I didn't say easy. I know some men have a hard time with it. But it is that simple.

Upvote 0

kjv5738

May 4, 2019
Dalton
✟7,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is a quick reply. Just to let you know I hear what you're saying. but let me also let you know,the only person who had that kind of calling was Jesus Christ himself. God NEVER asks anyone to stay single that wouldn't be able to do it! This is where the Roman Catholic Church got it wrong & enforced it on their priests & nuns! That would be a personal choice as Paul pointed out. He said for its not Gods will but mine. [In the beginning God created them Male & Female] He also said to Adam it is NOT good for man to be alone. Now on the inappropriate contento thing? I'm not judging anyone who gets caught up in it but just knowing what i know about it? says we should stay away from it weather we are un-married or committing adultery or not? I say this NOT because sex is evil, but but because of the images it produces in our minds.
He also told us to protect our eyes & only see good things because if we allow darkness in? it will darken our hearts... Much of whats done in inappropriate contento is dark stuff.. Its not just a man loving a woman. Also if you ever DO get married you WILL STILL struggle with the desire. I hope I answered this in a Godly fashion? I've tried. I'm not perfect & my eyes have seen bad movies, listen to bad music etc.but I can tell you many of times as I've gotten older? when Jesus told us to protect our hearts? I hear him loud & clear. The young man is a fool...

Upvote 0

kjv5738

May 4, 2019
Dalton
✟7,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also,

yes I know there are youngsters who MAY see this? but i think in a-lot of ways, post's like this should be allowed in some form or fashion? inappropriate contento is a huge struggle facing many Christians today. Much of the church & Christians suffer from the lack of knowledge. and I'm sure MANY have thought the same things this guy has thought. the ONLY way we can help each other is-to have discussions about it...

Upvote 0

Benjajredman

Jan 20, 2020
Salt Lake City
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been struggling with this question a while myself. I find all the verses in the Bible about this topic to be very vague not give a clear answer. But to anyone else who may be wondering about this too. The best answer I can come up with is that it is wrong for a person who is single to watch inappropriate contentography. And my reasoning is, the Bible calls us to be productive. Perhaps you've heard the saying, "Idle hands do the Devil's dirty work." Or something along those lines. I believe that watching inappropriate content isn't being productive and in that sense means you shouldn't watch it. You should do more productive things with your time.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,617.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hello Sullivan. It depends what is meant by inappropriate contentography.

I would agree that the smut on TV shows or promoted on the internet is wicked. Much of it promotes homosexual sex, adultery, sexual violence. The story could just as easily go along without scenes of extreme nudity or graphic sex.

However I'm wondering about the likes of the Vatican which has many frescoes and paintings with erotic, often extreme erotic content. Granted that it is almost exclusively from past centuries and much of it is valuable. But why is old and expensive graphic erotica not seen as sin when more modern, cheaper forms are? Indeed I would think that the Pope would have a hard job walking the Vatican corridors without seeing displays of flesh? Indeed even the Sistine chapel has graphic nudity.

Why is some erotica seen as acceptable? is it a double standard by the church? Where is the border between erotic material and inappropriate contentography?

God Bless :)

Upvote 0