inappropriate contentography and the single Christian

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
Read the bible and learn it from Jesus instead.

I have.

Jesus never specifically addressed this issue. The closest thing we have is in Matt 5:28. And that speaks of married people, not singles. Jesus never said much of anything about singles except that they can be eunuchs for the kingdom's sake. Paul elaborated on that in 1 Cor. 7.

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
I know that. But how do you know what sexual immorality refers to? it may only be another name for adultery.

The word in Greek is 'inappropriate contenteia' - very similar to where we get the word inappropriate contentography (doesn't mean it's the same thing).

It refers to harlotry and often, temple prostitution.

As far as the Jews, God bless them, were concerned the answer to sexual immortality was to get married. If a couple had premarital sex, they were married, or told to marry. There was no big sin or death penalty for that, as long as they were not engaged.

But the view elevating celibacy is a New Testament / Greek teaching that is possibly rooted in Gnosticism. Nevertheless, Paul taught this to the church and God expects us to choose Him over marriage. Amen.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I can't answer FOR God, because I am not God. And I don't want to be either.

I don't know if I see the harm, necessarily. Logically speaking, anyway. How I 'feel' about it is a different issue.

I am most likely called to service in the church. I have had words spoken over me of the sort. I have a calling on my life.

The problem with part of your statement, for me, is that lust; i.e. sex drive, is innate to all people and based off of my knowledge on the subject, is not sinful. Why Christians spend so much time battling their own 'inner demons' which are natural and normal, instead of feeding the hungry, teaching the ignorant, clothing the homeless and visiting the sick and imprisoned is beyond me.

Jesus didn't teach people to be scared of sin. He taught us how to love one another and act out of that love to help a dying world.

being called into the service of the church does not necessarily go hand in hand with celebacy. Paul was not married, Peter was married. Both were called into the ministry, but the calling itself was different.

Paul was called to spread the gospel to the gentiles who then became Christians, and was given an apostolic ministry of starting churches and visiting them. Peter was married, with a household to consider, and was given a pastoral ministry, that he might care for and nourish new Christians and the ministers under his care. Each of them was in the ministry, each of them had differing talents and abilities, and each was given responsibilities comensurate with those talents and abilities--including whether or not they were married and thus responsible for a household.

and remember 1 Peter 1:13-16. we are called to holiness, not the ways of the world. If you follow the ways of the world, how then will they know you are a Christian?

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
Why is inappropriate content bad for singles? Well for starters how are you supposed to love and pray for someone when you are looking at them lustfully?

?

You could say the same about your spouse.

The inappropriate content industry is an insidious business made up of women who have been sexually abused in some way. Do the research. What inappropriate content actresses have to do (medically) to stay employed is an eye opener. Its all about the dollar bill and the industry is just abusive. Since I'm typing on my blackbeery I haven't even scratched the surface. There is tons more of why inappropriate content is dangerous to the mind.

True.

But you could say the same about the dangers of fast food or smoking on the believer. Heck, look at alcohol and yet how many Christians drink?

Just because we don't agree with something doesn't give us the right to condemn everyone who has no other option in their life (especially in any issue that has nothing to do with you).

I think there are a lot of reprehensible things about that industry. It's sick.

But that doesn't automatically make it 'all' bad, does it? Or, it doesn't automatically make all who have looked at it bad either. Or does it?

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
Honestly, I have yet to see the bible specifically rebuke inappropriate contentography, Maturbation, etc. Instead, the bible stresses on adultery. This is an area that i need to do research on, so i have no verdict on the matter. However, it is clear that according to the Bible, adultery is sin. The problem is deciphering what constitutes as adultery.

Adultery is sex with someone else's spouse.

That is all.

Upvote 0

BlondieLashes

Finally a butterfly...
Aug 1, 2005
Standing right behind you! ;)
✟19,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well then, that would be adultery!

I'm not advocating adultery.

What are you advocating then? Did you read Shelley's site? no- I am not going to let it go because many lives are being destroyed by the industry.

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
What are you advocating then? Did you read Shelley's site? no- I am not going to let it go because many lives are being destroyed by the industry.

Well, I don't advocate or promote "the industry" so don't lump me into that category, thanks.

If you go out of it, good! I'm glad for you.

My heart goes out to people who have to do things they don't want to for money. Of course, many people are stuck in jobs they hate, though obviously not as bad as doing something like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BlondieLashes

Finally a butterfly...
Aug 1, 2005
✟19,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I don't advocate or promote "the industry" so don't lump me into that category, thanks.

If you go out of it, good! I'm glad for you.

My heart goes out to people who have to do things they don't want to for money. Of course, many people are stuck in jobs they hate, though obviously not as bad as doing something like that.

Oh my goodness...you don't realize that by viewing inappropriate content you do promote the industry? If there was no demand for it by people that view it it wouldn't be there.

People don't just get into the industry for money. You clearly haven't read Shelley's site yet. Another good one is Treasures.

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
Oh my goodness...you don't realize that by viewing inappropriate content you do promote the industry? If there was no demand for it by people that view it it wouldn't be there.

People don't just get into the industry for money. You clearly haven't read Shelley's site yet. Another good one is Treasures.

Well, you are pontificating on what people should not be doing morally, but you offer nothing to them in its stead.

Here's a key point in human behavior: You can't stop doing anything - without replacing it with something else.

So you can tell people to stay away from it as much as you like - and that's fine. But what do you propose they do in its stead then?

Upvote 0

BlondieLashes

Finally a butterfly...
Aug 1, 2005
✟19,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I'm done here until you actually do some research into the industry and what it entails for those involved. If you want to promote that it is your choice, but promoting something that harms others in many ways is not Christlike!

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
I think I'm done here until you actually do some research into the industry and what it entails for those involved. If you want to promote that it is your choice, but promoting something that harms others in many ways is not Christlike!

You could say the same about fast food, smoking, drinking, watching TV / movies or not exercising regularly.

Upvote 0

BlondieLashes

Finally a butterfly...
Aug 1, 2005
✟19,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well we posted at the same time. I say if you are struggling that much with your singleness and call to celibacy and inappropriate content viewing that you may need to seek Christian counseling to get it sorted out.

I really do need to log out now. Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
True.

But you could say the same about the dangers of fast food or smoking on the believer. Heck, look at alcohol and yet how many Christians drink?

Just because we don't agree with something doesn't give us the right to condemn everyone who has no other option in their life (especially in any issue that has nothing to do with you).

I think there are a lot of reprehensible things about that industry. It's sick.

But that doesn't automatically make it 'all' bad, does it? Or, it doesn't automatically make all who have looked at it bad either. Or does it?

are you trying to justify inappropriate contentography here, or are you trying to justify the use of it in the case of single Christians?

first, everyone does have an option of whether or not to live a Christian life, whether they are married, single, widdowed, widdower, slave or free.
No one is forcing you to be a Christian.

secondly, Our lives are supposed to glorify God and we are to let the light of Jesus shine thru us. So can you tell me how inappropriate contentography would glorify God or Christ? Can either God or Christ be joined to a harlot?

NO! Christ is the Bridegoom of the Church, His spotless Bride.

the choice in all of this is yours, of course. But please don't say that you haven't been warned of the dangers that you are letting youself in for by persuing inappropriate contentography.

Upvote 0

GodsHandiwork

Nov 15, 2010
✟7,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The innate problem with lust is that it is based on self and devoid of love. Lust is about selfishness...love is about selflessness. As it is devoid of love, it is not of God for God is love.

When someone looks at inappropriate content, are they watching it with the love of Christ or are they using it to satisfy their own lust? Would a person be looking at the people involved in the inappropriate contentography in light of their eternal salvation...or only in what the actions of these people can do for them? Is it okay for a follower of Christ to abstain physically from sexual immorality yet view the sexual immorality of others to use it to satisfy their own lusts? How do you think the Holy Spirit would feel about that? To put it another way...would it be okay for a Christian to condone someone else stealing to provide them with money for an all expense paid vacation to the spot of their choice...or would the Christian be just a culpable as the thief?

We are souls that posses physical bodies...not bodies that have souls. There is little to nothing that we do in the physical that doesn't have spiritual ramifications. But, the inverse is more important. You speak of self control. Self control is not physical...it is spiritual...it is a gift of the Spirit. A deed begins with a thought...and if a person immerses themselves spiritually in the sexual immorality of others it will eventually manifest itself in the physical. One doesn't start with the physical and work backward to the spirit. The process begins with the spirit and the physical follows.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
first, everyone does have an option of whether or not to live a Christian life, whether they are married, single, widdowed, widdower, slave or free.
No one is forcing you to be a Christian.

You're right; no one is forcing me to be one.

So, what is your suggestion then; don't be a Christian anymore?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Didn't Jesus say of the Pharisees, that 'you put heavy burdens on men and do nothing to ease them'?

sexuality is not a burden, it is a gift from God When used properly it can bring untold joy to a union. It is only a burden when used selfishly and improperly. did not Jesus tell the woman caught in adultery to 'Go and sin no more'??

she knew perfectly well that she was guilty of the sin with which she was charged, and so did Jesus.

But His message to her was a clear one. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0