inappropriate contentography and the single Christian

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
Ok I'm going to open up a can of worms here. I'm sure I'll get lots of opinions, theories and scriptures quoted (probably out of context lol), but here goes. Okay, Christians often say that inappropriate contentography is a sin to look at or watch. And no, I'm not advocating it but I also don't know if I see the harm. Let me qualify that statement before everyone flips out on me: I definitely can see the harm it does to married couples if one person is into it and the other is not. It's degrading and shameful for the couple and it denigrates God's gift of sex. There's no question of that.

But what about for the single? Most Christians (who are married) condemn it for the single. But my question is, why? Yes, we know what Jesus said in Matthew 5:28, but the word He used there was "adultery" not "fornication", which would logically imply that either you who are lusting, or the object of your lust, if not both, are married. If both parties were unmarried, he would not have used the word we translate as "adultery." So I don't think it applies, based off of the text.

And I say this for a few reasons. Most single Christians I know would rather be married. In fact I don't know any that wouldn't. God's not going to magically remove someone's god-given libido any more than He will remove your desire for food. It's built in. So what is the single person to do? 'Resist temptation' some might say, ok. But if it's not a sin, then the question is WHY is he resisting it? Let's say God has called you to live a life devoted to Him and He forbids marriage. Some will say, "You should get married because Paul says it's better to have marry than have unfulfilled lust or passion." Fair enough, but the Bible is clear that marriage is a lesser state for man and one is further off remaining single to serve the Lord. So, how exactly would a man or woman being 'sinning' if they are doing God's will by remaining unmarried, yet they look at inappropriate content? That's the question.

So commence opening can of worms...

Four Years

Apr 26, 2011
✟1,051.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

As a Single Christian Male who is currently struggling with this, I can say with 100 % certainty that it IS a sin...even when you're single.

If you love God, you will obey His word.

Really re-think your question and ask if this is a question a MATURE Born Again Jesus loving man would ask.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: riesie
Upvote 0

Tannic

Dec 29, 2007
✟1,300.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If God wants commands you to be single then that's how it is. As for inappropriate content, Its more along the lines of inviting unclean spirits into you. It's ok to lust after your wife/husband but I believe its not ok to lust after everything you want due to the weakness of the flesh.

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
Hi,

As a Single Christian Male who is currently struggling with this, I can say with 100 % certainty that it IS a sin...even when you're single.

If you love God, you will obey His word.

Really re-think your question and ask if this is a question a MATURE Born Again Jesus loving man would ask.

Why is it a "sin"? For everyone, anyway?

It's a sin TO YOU, yes. I don't think anyone should violate his or her conscience, but to everyone else... how can you say that it's a "sin" to everyone on planet earth, including those whom God has demanded remain single for life??? :confused:

I don't follow that logic.

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
If God wants commands you to be single then that's how it is. As for inappropriate content, Its more along the lines of inviting unclean spirits into you. It's ok to lust after your wife/husband but I believe its not ok to lust after everything you want due to the weakness of the flesh.

Well, I think it's pretty cruel of God, or His followers, to make unrealistic demands on people in this fashion. Desiring someone because you have a (an evidently) God-given sex drive, is not a sin.

It's more unrealistic and unfair for God to demand people remain single, then as if that was not enough, then Christians have the audacity to say that He expects you to not have a sex drive at all (as though the mere possession of this allegedly god-given desire is evil). Honestly.

Upvote 0

Four Years

Apr 26, 2011
✟1,051.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I think it's pretty cruel of God, or His followers, to make unrealistic demands on people in this fashion. Desiring someone because you have a (an evidently) God-given sex drive, is not a sin.

It's more unrealistic and unfair for God to demand people remain single, then as if that was not enough, then Christians have the audacity to say that He expects you to not have a sex drive at all (as though the mere possession of this allegedly god-given desire is evil). Honestly.

You sound like someone who just wants to view inappropriate content and/or touch and nobody can tell you otherwise.

Why else would you make this thread?

You say "Christians" as if to distinguish yourself from them.

I assume you're not a believer then?

It's pointless trying to reason with someone who doesn't have the Holy Spirit in them.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Tannic

Dec 29, 2007
✟1,300.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Having a sex drive isn't a sin because you need that in marriage. Desiring to married isn't wrong, I believe you start getting into adultry when you look at a woman and all you want to do is have sex with her. You're not fornicating but your heart is commiting adultry. I believe this is where inappropriate content becomes a problem because it projects the image in your mind and it sticks. Like glue on paper.... Its there for a long time and it will be hard to let it go because of our god given sex drive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
You sound like someone who just wants to view inappropriate content and/or touch and nobody can tell you otherwise.

Why else would you make this thread?

You say "Christians" as if to distinguish yourself from them.

I assume you're not a believer then?

It's pointless trying to reason with someone who doesn't have the Holy Spirit in them.

Now you resort to personal attacks, rather than answering a simple question? Lovely.

You would be assuming wrong, friend. I am most definitely saved and a follower of Christ, sorry to disappoint you.

My motives are not in question here, but to alleviate your concerns, I made this topic because it is interesting how Christians, or some anyway, add to the Bible with their own dogmas that are not rooted in the word.

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
Having a sex drive isn't a sin because you need that in marriage. Desiring to married isn't wrong, I believe you start getting into adultry when you look at a woman and all you want to do is have sex with her. You're not fornicating but your heart is commiting adultry. I believe this is where inappropriate content becomes a problem because it projects the image in your mind and it sticks. Like glue on paper.... Its there for a long time and it will be hard to let it go because of our god given sex drive.

You can't commit adultery if you are not married. Adultery, by definition, implies someone is MARRIED.

I'm not saying it's ideal, but Christians, or some anyway, are very quick to condemn all things related to sex, yet they are placing a burden upon people that cannot be carried.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
inappropriate contentography is a classic device that satan uses to tempt us thru the lust of the eyes, by revealing what should be kept hidden to all except the husband or the wife. the reason that the husband or wife is excepted is because thru marriage, they become one, thus each one owns the body of the other.

the temptation to sin thru the gate of the eyes, and thru the gate of the ears began in Genesis 3:6. Satan appealed to eve by the desire to possess what was denied to both her and to Adam; what looked good--thus the appeal to sin thru the eye gate.

At that stage it was only temptation, and both Adam and Eve could have resisted. But instead they willingly entertained the idea of sin, justified it to themselves, and followed thru with the act of sin. Does that sound familiar?

this is where inappropriate contentography comes in.
for singles the act of sex is forbidden because they do not have the right of possession of another person's body thru marriage.
As in what happened to Adam and Eve, the temptation enters the eye gate via the image of what is tempting and desirous, but forbidden.

If at that point you turn away from the temptation, then no sin is committed.
But if you entertain the thought in your mind and act upon it, then it is a sin.
(Ref. Galatians 5:19-21)

so what is the answer? be vigilent, be aware of situations that could put you in a compromising situation, and take positive actions to avoid being compromised, both for the good of your Christian testimony, and for your soul.

• Winner
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

realtruth101

Jan 26, 2011
✟903.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm sure you will be able to get a crowd together, that will tell your itching ears what they want to hear, you should change the line under your tittle, "seeking His face" to _______________fill in the blank......I deleted my saying, because it was truthful, and truth doesn't always fly so good on this website

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
I'm sure you will be able to get a crowd together, that will tell your itching ears what they want to hear, you should change the line under your tittle, "seeking His face" to _______________fill in the blank......I deleted my saying, because it was truthful, and truth doesn't always fly so good on this website

Personal attacks...

You know, a lot of Christians need to learn how to walk in love, as Jesus taught, and act civil toward their fellow man and believers.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
inappropriate contentography is a classic device that satan uses to tempt us thru the lust of the eyes, by revealing what should be kept hidden to all except the husband or the wife. the reason that the husband or wife is excepted is because thru marriage, they become one, thus each one owns the body of the other.

the temptation to sin thru the gate of the eyes, and thru the gate of the ears began in Genesis 3:6. Satan appealed to eve by the desire to possess what was denied to both her and to Adam; what looked good--thus the appeal to sin thru the eye gate.

At that stage it was only temptation, and both Adam and Eve could have resisted. But instead they willingly entertained the idea of sin, justified it to themselves, and followed thru with the act of sin. Does that sound familiar?

this is where inappropriate contentography comes in.
for singles the act of sex is forbidden because they do not have the right of possession of another person's body thru marriage.
As in what happened to Adam and Eve, the temptation enters the eye gate via the image of what is tempting and desirous, but forbidden.

If at that point you turn away from the temptation, then no sin is committed.
But if you entertain the thought in your mind and act upon it, then it is a sin.
(Ref. Galatians 5:19-21)

so what is the answer? be vigilent, be aware of situations that could put you in a compromising situation, and take positive actions to avoid being compromised, both for the good of your Christian testimony, and for your soul.

That's true and you have a good post.

But what do you do when God is calling you to lifelong singleness?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
That's true and you have a good post.

But what do you do when God is calling you to lifelong singleness?

*IF* God is calling you to life-long singleness, then He will also provide a way that you can accomplish that, AND He will have made you with a nature that will not be as tempted towards lust as someone else might be.
in other words, it will be easier for you to turn away (or not be attracted in the first place) than it might be for someone else, because your mind and your body would not naturally lean in that direction towards either sex.

the gift of deliberate singleness for the purpose of serving the Lord unhindered by worldly cares is one given by God, not something to be physically determined by men. In essence the person is wedded to God, thus their body belongs to God. Naturally it would follow that their body could not be joined either to an unbeliever, a harlot, or a temple prostitute. So that prohibition also takes care of the issue of inappropriate contentography and lust.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Why do you think God is calling you to lifelong singleness? And that, in the context of what you are accomplishing in this call, inappropriate contentography is okay?

In traditional Christianity, people called to celibacy were usually called to celibacy for the service of the church or as an ascetic endeavor (ie, to live the angelic life and battle the passions (lust being one of them!!!)). The first one, too, entailed battling the passions. Lust being one of them. So that's the answer to the question.

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
Why do you think God is calling you to lifelong singleness? And that, in the context of what you are accomplishing in this call, inappropriate contentography is okay?

In traditional Christianity, people called to celibacy were usually called to celibacy for the service of the church or as an ascetic endeavor (ie, to live the angelic life and battle the passions (lust being one of them!!!)). The first one, too, entailed battling the passions. Lust being one of them. So that's the answer to the question.

I can't answer FOR God, because I am not God. And I don't want to be either.

I don't know if I see the harm, necessarily. Logically speaking, anyway. How I 'feel' about it is a different issue.

I am most likely called to service in the church. I have had words spoken over me of the sort. I have a calling on my life.

The problem with part of your statement, for me, is that lust; i.e. sex drive, is innate to all people and based off of my knowledge on the subject, is not sinful. Why Christians spend so much time battling their own 'inner demons' which are natural and normal, instead of feeding the hungry, teaching the ignorant, clothing the homeless and visiting the sick and imprisoned is beyond me.

Jesus didn't teach people to be scared of sin. He taught us how to love one another and act out of that love to help a dying world.

Upvote 0