• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

inappropriate content addiction

JakeBakes

Nov 14, 2017
Missouri
✟8,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been a christian ever since I can remember but in the last few years I have become addicted to inappropriate content. Every time I try to stop, I stop for about a week but end up looking at inappropriate content again. I feel like God has led me to come here and ask for some one who will once a week <staff edit> to help hold me accountable, or maybe even several people. This is the fist time have come out about this and I already feel better getting it out there. So if one or a few of you would do this for me I would be so blessed and encouraged by it. Thank you so much! I'm going to head to bed for the night, I will be back in the morning. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

John Goodness

Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2017
Chicago
✟50,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi, I struggle with the same. You are brave to seek help. I'm going through a 12step recovery program at our church. I highly recommend you check nearby churches if they have same programs as well for you to join.

Upvote 0

SamanthaMathis

An Amateur Consummate Traveler
Jun 26, 2015
Northeast
✟27,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is great you are getting it out there! Yes, talking about it makes discussing it less stigmatized, easier to talk about, easier to manage, and may be overcome. If you have questions, people here are always willing to lend a hand and help!

Upvote 0

Ryan McCabe

Jan 18, 2018
Portland
✟16,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Celibate
I have been a christian ever since I can remember but in the last few years I have become addicted to inappropriate content. Every time I try to stop, I stop for about a week but end up looking at inappropriate content again. I feel like God has led me to come here and ask for some one who will once a week <staff edit> to help hold me accountable, or maybe even several people. This is the fist time have come out about this and I already feel better getting it out there. So if one or a few of you would do this for me I would be so blessed and encouraged by it. Thank you so much! I'm going to head to bed for the night, I will be back in the morning. Thanks again!

Hey Bro,
It is a struggle a lot of us have. Paul encourages use to remove the sinning part of the body. while there are some extremes to this :p there are moderate ways to handle it. Think of inappropriate content like a drug. If you were addicted to drugs could you keep them in the house or have any access to them? So the same with inappropriate content, yes we all need to grow in our ability to say no and develop self control but until then you need to make barriers for yourself. one barrier can be accountability, and its awesome that you are seeking it out. The second barrier is using the restriction options on your phone or adding k9 blocker to your computer. You can place restrictions on your phone to restrict certain apps, or even certain websites. once you have set it up you allow someone youre close to set a four digit pin and you lock it up. This of course isn't the end all but it allows you space from your sin to get your mind clear.
It is awesome that you want to leave this sin behind it shows the Spirit's work in your life! message me if you want to discuss more

Upvote 0

Andy The Wizard

Mar 23, 2018
Atlanta
✟16,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

This has been something I have struggled with as well. What has helped me stay away from inappropriate content is the beauty and sublimity of my Orthodox faith. The liturgy makes the things of Earth go strangley dim. God knows I'm still a sinner, but the foretaste of Heaven really helps.

Upvote 0

SamanthaMathis

An Amateur Consummate Traveler
Jun 26, 2015
Northeast
✟27,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
look John 14:13-14 and pray daily for God's help. I did the same and now I'm free.
Thank you for sharing, it is truly an inspiration for me. Not many people, especially women, are open about their difficulties with it, but glad to see you have overcome this daily struggle.

Upvote 0

Spherical

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2016
US
✟111,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know that the OP is old and all, but my take is use whatever means helps you best: spirituality, physical excercise, active practice of charity, deeper connection with other people, the arts, journaling, talking, cutting off and/or staying away from the occasions of sin (a must), etc. The path is not easy, but the ways are many. As long as you rely on the grace of God, believe it, and do your “homework” in Him, this will be a win battle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums