inappropriate content ADDICTION - Why do so many struggle?

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I honestly don't keep up with the real statistics of this sort of thing, so I have no idea. Are there any reliable statistics that show this? Although I can imagine it may be true, I just like data and proof. Otherwise, it's opinion, IMHO
LMGTFY

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Ok, so you have no data to back up that women are watching more inappropriate content from a qualified, reliable source, so you want me to Google and spend the time researching to prove you right or wrong?

So, it's your 'opinion' and you are not saying something proven, per se, but your thoughts.

Got it.

So I think you may be right, but you may be wrong.

Moving on .....

Discussing opinion, is not my thing. I'm fact driven. Much time is wasted discussing opinion with people uneducated in a topic. I'm not down for that.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the replies - Is there any good advice that you have seen work - To help people genuinely break this addiction and turn away from inappropriate content?

There are Christian groups that meet that specialize in this found mostly in the larger cities.

The bounce technique has been working fine for a long time. Don't believe everything you read in books.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are Christian groups that meet that specialize in this found mostly in the larger cities.

The bounce technique has been working fine for a long time. Don't believe everything you read in books.

M-Bob
If it really worked, you would not keep on having those desires resurfacing all the time. It is our mind (thinking) that is the problem, not our eyes. Do you have to look away from a bank to keep from thinking about robbing it? Of course not. The same thing applies to women..... there is still something very wrong if we have to look away from them to keep from thinking inappropriate thoughts about them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If it really worked, you would not keep on having those desires resurfacing all the time. It is our mind (thinking) that is the problem, not our eyes. Do you have to look away from a bank to keep from thinking about robbing it? Of course not. The same thing applies to women..... there is still something very wrong if we have to look away from them to keep from thinking inappropriate thoughts about them.

You don't understand and yet you give advice.

There's much more to it then you mentioned or think.

The 3 second rule can be used with many different things in mind or we may say in heart.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't understand and yet you give advice.

There's much more to it then you mentioned or think.

The 3 second rule can be used with many different things in mind or we may say in heart.

M-Bob
We're not talking about counting to ten when you get mad. We are addressing inappropriate thinking about women that keeps on reoccurring on a regular basis. Frankly, a person is playing with fire if they have to depend upon averting their eyes to control their thinking.

Having facilitated Sex Offender therapy classes for 24 years, I actually do know a tiny bit about this.

Reactions: Ruien
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Frankly, a person is playing with fire if they have to depend upon averting their eyes to control their thinking.

I have been around the block a few times and yes, I also know that to be true.

But, for some it may be a good starting point?

M-Bob

Upvote 0

quidam65

Mar 19, 2018
DFW
✟11,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is it simply the fault of the individual?
Or is there a demon/spirit constantly tempting the individual?
And - How do people genuinely break this addiction and turn away from inappropriate content?

Internet availability makes it so much easier.

I follow a sports message site and people there are bragging about how they find nudes of (insert name of favorite celebrity) on the Internet, along with their favorite (free) inappropriate content sites.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I follow a sports message site and people there are bragging about how they find nudes of (insert name of favorite celebrity) on the Internet, along with their favorite (free) inappropriate content sites.

There is a problem their favorite p*** site. Not a place to hang out.
M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan61861

7 days without God, makes one weak.
Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I cleave unto the Lord. Whenever I find myself in a sin that just hangs around. I pray, Lord I can not do this, I am weak. I give this to you. As you say, come unto me all you who labor and are burdened and I will give you rest. It is not my righteousness that I have hope in, it is His righteousness that is upon me. Christ has already died for the sin that troubles me...there is true rest in Jesus.

In Christ
Daniel

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This isn't an evaluation on a book I haven't read yet, but:

If it really works, then the church has desperately been in need of it - why has it been out for six years and this is the first I've heard of it?
Maybe too many people don’t want to really give it up, but would rather occasionally slip

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is it simply the fault of the individual?
Or is there a demon/spirit constantly tempting the individual?
And - How do people genuinely break this addiction and turn away from inappropriate content?
Watching these types of videos releases endorphins into the body. I've read studies which say that watching inappropriate content releases something like three times as much dopamine as conventional sex does.

So it's easy to understand why people enjoy it so much.

Who would promote this sort of thing? Well, it's all public record. The producers and distributors are people and these people have names. Do some checking, find out who the big name purveyors of inappropriate content are and then find out what most of them have in common with each other.

There's your answer.

For people who struggle with inappropriate content addiction, pray, repent and seek professional help as necessary. These days, it's probably impossible to completely avoid it so don't feel too ashamed. Anybody who would pillory you over your problem is probably a total hypocrite.

Repent, pray and seek professional help if you need it.

• Winner
Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0

tkolter

May 8, 2018
Saint Petersburg, Florida
✟22,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is going to sound odd but well I'm disabled and was all my life, never had hopes of marriage first I could barely work enough to support myself and the second I'm a man competing with others with far more to offer plus a smaller pool only wanting a good Christian woman ... such companionship as was Bible blessed was not really an option for me. I'm not unique. So perhaps the occasional use of such outlets as this grants is better than no outlet at all we are sexual by nature and men visual and women not but have their outlets in adult media. I'm not saying its good but as a human being and one prone to sensuality fighting is often too hard and outlets for ones needs are perhaps best used in moderation. What other options are there to be sexless that is a lot to ask, to see prostitutes maybe but then your not just imagining or watching but acting which could be a bigger sin or accepting the small failing and accommodating it on occasion. This was a bigger issue when I was younger now at 52 and my health failing me a bit more its not as big a priority but for me when I was twenty say I had the normal needs of a man and saw years of not having anyone like a wife to share that with in the Biblical way.

I know as a Fundamentalist its odd but I also try to be realistic right now I'm seeing a Fredrick's of Hollywood add on my computer here with a scantily clad model and now more and your asking me to not notice? :oldthumbsup: So perhaps the enjoyment of such can be seen in some cases as an outlet not ideal or Biblically sound but one can see as better than alternatives.

I said perhaps an odd sounding position to consider but moderation is important and intent if your a young man and can marry you should, same for a young woman, then one can have their sexual needs met in marriage. But for some of us without that the occasional enjoyment of the sensual with the intent of meeting a biological imperative called sex God gave us and now in a sinful world need to live with releasing of this outside of marriage could be forgiven, until God removes such a need from us.

Does this make sense? :scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is going to sound odd but well I'm disabled and was all my life, never had hopes of marriage first I could barely work enough to support myself and the second I'm a man competing with others with far more to offer plus a smaller pool only wanting a good Christian woman ... such companionship as was Bible blessed was not really an option for me. I'm not unique. So perhaps the occasional use of such outlets as this grants is better than no outlet at all we are sexual by nature and men visual and women not but have their outlets in adult media. I'm not saying its good but as a human being and one prone to sensuality fighting is often too hard and outlets for ones needs are perhaps best used in moderation. What other options are there to be sexless that is a lot to ask, to see prostitutes maybe but then your not just imagining or watching but acting which could be a bigger sin or accepting the small failing and accommodating it on occasion. This was a bigger issue when I was younger now at 52 and my health failing me a bit more its not as big a priority but for me when I was twenty say I had the normal needs of a man and saw years of not having anyone like a wife to share that with in the Biblical way.

I know as a Fundamentalist its odd but I also try to be realistic right now I'm seeing a Fredrick's of Hollywood add on my computer here with a scantily clad model and now more and your asking me to not notice? :oldthumbsup: So perhaps the enjoyment of such can be seen in some cases as an outlet not ideal or Biblically sound but one can see as better than alternatives.

I said perhaps an odd sounding position to consider but moderation is important and intent if your a young man and can marry you should, same for a young woman, then one can have their sexual needs me in marriage. But for some of us without that the occasional enjoyment of the sensual with the intent of meeting a biological imperative called sex God gave us and now in a sinful world need to live with releasing of this outside of marriage could be forgiven, until God removes such a need from us.

Does this make sense? :scratch:

Your post touched me in a very deep way prayers sent out for you from up top the mountain today at 10:39 a.m. have a blessed day Bob

Upvote 0

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
inappropriate content is hard for single guys to avoid. I know this problem because I am 26 years old and I get lonely at times and the worse thing is that God cursed us with a sex drive even if we cannot fulfill it. I have tried to quit inappropriate content many times and keep failing. Not until recently have I really started to make progress with quitting it.

The worse thing about inappropriate content is it makes me feel too ashamed to approach God so it makes me feel distant from God. It is not fun wondering if God can forgive.

You can make all of the excuses you want, I know I have but the ultimate reality is we are sinning when we do it.

Upvote 0

tkolter

May 8, 2018
Saint Petersburg, Florida
✟22,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
inappropriate content is hard for single guys to avoid. I know this problem because I am 26 years old and I get lonely at times and the worse thing is that God cursed us with a sex drive even if we cannot fulfill it. I have tried to quit inappropriate content many times and keep failing. Not until recently have I really started to make progress with quitting it.

The worse thing about inappropriate content is it makes me feel too ashamed to approach God so it makes me feel distant from God. It is not fun wondering if God can forgive.

You can make all of the excuses you want, I know I have but the ultimate reality is we are sinning when we do it.

I never said otherwise I just said for a man with no outlet that's Biblical as in being married due to exceptional cases being very disabled and on government welfare so they cannot meet their Biblical obligation to provide for a family, there is going to be failings in men sexually regarding inappropriate content. I never had that issue due to pain levels and other issues and am now old enough to be above that kind of thing. So sinning is going to happen in some men due to God and society making marriage among the more disabled impractical. You do know if many of us marry we lose half or all our benefits now a woman their role in marriage is supportive they can be dependent on a man and fit their gender role Biblically. A man has a man's role if your going to not be able to provide for a wife and children you have no moral or Biblical standing to marry.

Upvote 0

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I never said otherwise I just said for a man with no outlet that's Biblical as in being married due to exceptional cases being very disabled and on government welfare so they cannot meet their Biblical obligation to provide for a family, there is going to be failings in men sexually regarding inappropriate content. I never had that issue due to pain levels and other issues and am now old enough to be above that kind of thing. So sinning is going to happen in some men due to God and society making marriage among the more disabled impractical. You do know if many of us marry we lose half or all our benefits now a woman their role in marriage is supportive they can be dependent on a man and fit their gender role Biblically. A man has a man's role if your going to not be able to provide for a wife and children you have no moral or Biblical standing to marry.

Yes we have no moral right or need to marry but we are still forbidden from sexual immorality.

Upvote 0

AKWarrior

"...Today shalt thou be with me in paradise."
May 13, 2018
Anchorage, AK
✟13,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Having been guilty of this sin myself in the past (though not in the addictive sense; praise the Lord), I can tell you that it can be a struggle because it presents a fantasy (or fantasies) that you crave to see as reality. This can especially be true if you're chronically single (like me) or in an unfulfilling marriage (like so many others). Or it can just be that you're easily given over to cravings of the flesh no matter the case. Regardless, it's a difficult besetting sin to break away from because, putting it bluntly, it just feels so good. How to overcome this? I can only speak for myself, but limiting/removing temptation devices (laptop, internet, etc.) and shifting your perspective to other things, especially spiritual ones, eventually help lead you away from fleshly temptations.

Upvote 0