• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pope's letter to Argentine bishops on 'Amoris Laetitia' part of official record

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Michie

Michie Perch Perkins. Catholic reporter. ;) Supporter

+17,856
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Describing them as "authentic Magesterium," Pope Francis ordered the official publication of his letter to a group of Argentine bishops and their guidelines for the interpretation of Amoris Laetitia, his apostolic exhortation on the family. According to a brief note by Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Vatican Secretary of State, Francis wanted his letter and the bishops' document to be published on the Vatican website and in the "Acta Apostolicae Sedis," the official record of Vatican documents and acts.

Continued below.
    Pope's letter to Argentine bishops on 'Amoris Laetitia' part of official record

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,330
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    This is indeed news.

3. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+2,754
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  4. Michie

+17,856
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  5. LivingWordUnity

LivingWordUnity Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic

+10,476
    Catholic
    Married

6. Michie

+17,856
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Why do you keep putting periods in threads? Just curious...

7. LivingWordUnity

+10,476
    Catholic
    Married
    It's when I type something and then decide to delete it. This website won't let you save a post that is totally blank. So I leave the period so that it lets me save the deletion.

• List
  8. Michie

+17,856
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Oh ok. Makes sense. Been meaning to ask you for awhile now. :)

9. The Grouch

The Grouch Well-Known Member

+506
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Married
    Authentic magesterium... does this suggest it is being raised to being binding on the faithful.

If this is the case then what does it mean since it is a direct contradiction of our lords proclaimation on marriage. This raises serious alarm as it maybe of a supreme serious nature beyond just mere error for it may call into question the divine nature of the church herself.

If the pope has refused to answer the dubia has disregarded the correction earlier this year and countless persons of high standing expressing concern over the orthodoxy of such an interpretation does this mean the pope is in formal heresy or is that decided by other means?

Or does it mean the church is not divine and the whole thing for 2000+ years has been a lie

I see no other possibility but i welcome and indeed i am eager to hear other explinations that may calm my saddend heart

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. LivingWordUnity

+10,476
    Catholic
    Married
    "The Church to be Catholic must be universal in time, and to be universal in time it must be ancient; antiquity then is a property of the Church."
    - St. Francis de Sales, The Catholic Controversy, TAN Books, p. 149

"The meaning that Holy Mother the Church has once declared, is to be retained forever, and no pretext of deeper understanding ever justifies any deviation from that meaning."
    - The First Vatican Council (as quoted in Pope Paul VI’s encyclical Mysterium Fidei)

"Let it be far from anyone's mind to suppress for any reason any doctrine that has been handed down. Such a policy would tend rather to separate Catholics from the Church than to bring in those who differ."
    - Pope Leo XIII, Testem Benevolentiae Nostrae

"Thus, we do not say that the Pope cannot err in his private opinions, as did John XXII, or be altogether a heretic, as perhaps Honorius was. Now when he is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as S. Peter did, Let another take his bishopric."
    - St. Francis de Sales, The Catholic Controversy, TAN Books, p. 225

"Let no Christian therefore, whether philosopher or theologian, embrace eagerly and lightly whatever novelty happens to be thought up from day to day, but rather let him weigh it with painstaking care and a balanced judgment, lest he lose or corrupt the truth he already has, with grave danger and damage to his faith."
    - Pope Pius XII, Humani Generis

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. LivingWordUnity

+10,476
    Catholic
    Married
    Source

12. LivingWordUnity

+10,476
    Catholic
    Married
    "...the application of the term 'absolute monarch' to the pope in reference to ecclesiastical affairs is not correct because he is subject to divine laws and is bound by the directives given by Christ for his Church. The pope cannot change the constitution given to the Church by her divine Founder, as an earthly ruler can change the constitution of a State. In all essential points the constitution of the Church is based on divine directives, and therefore it is not subject to human arbitrariness." - Collective Declaration of the German Bishops in Response to the Circular Letter of Chancellor Bismarck, 1875

• List
  13. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,330
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    Well, the Sedevacantists will tell all that the chair of Peter has been vacant for decades now, but that option will not calm you. I do not know how the SSPX folks will explain this change, but no doubt they will not be pleased. I have not given this matter a lot of thought, but enough to understand the concerns of some. Though a non-Catholic, I do think the world of Pope Francis. My guess is that he is trying to show compassion to some divorced and remarried Catholics who are caught in a most difficult situation. I guess the question is, exactly what kind of circumstances might qualify for an exception to the rule? I suppose there could be the unusual situation where maybe the spouse is disabled and unable to now have sexual relations. Perhaps then the Catholic seeking an exemption is living a celibate life, despite being remarried? This is the only situation that has come to my mind that might be accepted, but perhaps there are some others?

I have read about some statements made by Pope Francis recently which were a little surprising. One had to do with the death penalty not being in accord with the Gospels. I totally agree with him there and my view of him only increased when I read that. The more surprising statement had to do with judgment after death, but I have not yet verified that one. I think we have seen enough to know now that the pre-Papal election reports that the Archbishop of Buenos Aires being described a "moderate" were apparently correct.

14. Michie

+17,856
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  15. chilehed

chilehed Veteran

+492
    Catholic
    Married