Pope says it is abuse to accessorize with the Crucifix

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Maybe he's talking about people who aren't Catholic but who wear a crucifix for fashion.

I agree, but I always like to read the comments on an article to gauge what people hear.

This has been talked to death but maybe he could have been clearer.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dude, we quote secular sources all the time. Secular sources are not inherently evil or wrong.
They are close to 100% wrong when it comes to the pope or Catholicism in general.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Cross as fashion accessory is quite common, and it really not exclusive to Christianity anyway.

The crucifix with the Body of Christ is ALWAYS more than a fashion statement, even when worn sacrilegiously, like one might suppose that Madonna might be doing in the picture on the page with the article. I associate her more with the Black Mass crowd than with Catholicism.

Positive or negative, the crucifix is just too powerful of an image for it to express nothing but fashion.

When I see a stranger wearing a crucifix or on the dashboard of the car, I presume the stranger is a Catholic, just as much as when I see the pope himself with that crucifix.

Crosses are not inherently religious symbols. The crucifix is inherently Christian. As such, people using the crucifix outside of a religious context are few and far between.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
IMG_0014.JPG
I wear an Irish Penal cross.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wear a very small crucifix on a chain with a miraculous medal on the outside of my shirt. On the inside I have a chain with a few medals and a JP II crucifix.

I am positive Francis was speaking about people who wear them as a fashion item. I think this is something we can all actually agree with Francis on!?!??!

Upvote 0