Pope reportedly intervened to lift excommunication of sexually active, abusive Jesuit priest

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fr. Marko Ivan Rupnik is alleged to have committed psychological and sexual abuse of religious sisters. Pope Francis is reported to have instantly pardoned Rupnik for an automatically incurred excommunication.

VATICAN CITY (LifeSiteNews) – Pope Francis has reportedly intervened to swiftly lift the excommunication of a notable Jesuit, who was automatically excommunicated and found guilty by an ecclesiastical court of absolving in confession a woman with whom he had sexual relations.

Italian news outlet Left.it recently reported that Father Marko Ivan Rupnik S.J. had been accused of psychologically and sexually abusing religious sisters. Rupnik, a prominent Jesuit and director of Rome’s Aletti Center, had been accused by a number of nuns in Slovenia of “psychological abuse and sexual violence,” reported Left.

The accusations themselves dated back to the early 1990s and involved the community of nuns which was founded by a nun to whom Rupnik was both a friend and a “spiritual father.”

After allegations were made against Rupnik, the bishop of Ljubljana removed the Slovenian Jesuit from the diocese in 1992-93. Since just prior to then Rupnik has been based in Rome at the Centro Aletti.

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Fr. Marko Ivan Rupnik is alleged to have committed psychological and sexual abuse of religious sisters. Pope Francis is reported to have instantly pardoned Rupnik for an automatically incurred excommunication.

VATICAN CITY (LifeSiteNews) – Pope Francis has reportedly intervened to swiftly lift the excommunication of a notable Jesuit, who was automatically excommunicated and found guilty by an ecclesiastical court of absolving in confession a woman with whom he had sexual relations.

Italian news outlet Left.it recently reported that Father Marko Ivan Rupnik S.J. had been accused of psychologically and sexually abusing religious sisters. Rupnik, a prominent Jesuit and director of Rome’s Aletti Center, had been accused by a number of nuns in Slovenia of “psychological abuse and sexual violence,” reported Left.

The accusations themselves dated back to the early 1990s and involved the community of nuns which was founded by a nun to whom Rupnik was both a friend and a “spiritual father.”

After allegations were made against Rupnik, the bishop of Ljubljana removed the Slovenian Jesuit from the diocese in 1992-93. Since just prior to then Rupnik has been based in Rome at the Centro Aletti.

Continued below.
Yet another sexual abuse unforced error catastrophe for our pope.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Not necessarily an error on the part of the Pope.
Not if the Church believes in forgiveness, that is.

Sometimes I wonder which is more important to Catholics these days:
Sin or forgiveness?
Pointing fingers, or hugs?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Not necessarily an error on the part of the Pope.
Not if the Church believes in forgiveness, that is.

Sometimes I wonder which is more important to Catholics these days:
Sin or forgiveness?
Pointing fingers, or hugs?
Forgiveness would be good.

I don't see much of that. Bishops get sacked, priests get sacked, often after spectacularly scandalous breaches in trust. Some then get mysteriously rehabilitated while some priests and bishops seem to be canceled for odd reasons. Some scandals are allowed to continue without being addressed. Fr. McRae is still in prison. It's all a mystery. Is there zero tolerance or total tolerance depending on who you are?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Forgiveness would be good.

I don't see much of that. Bishops get sacked, priests get sacked, often after spectacularly scandalous breaches in trust. Some then get mysteriously rehabilitated while some priests and bishops seem to be canceled for odd reasons. Some scandals are allowed to continue without being addressed. Fr. McRae is still in prison. It's all a mystery. Is there zero tolerance or total tolerance depending on who you are?
I honestly believe it is who you are or the connections you have. Then there is always how far one is willing to bend..

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I honestly believe it is who you are or the connections you have. Then there is always how far one is willing to bend..
This priest was convicted of confessing a person he partnered with in an ecclesaistical crime. That appears to be the reason for the excommunication. And it's one thing to have an excommunication lifted. But does he still get to hear confessions routinely?

The Grindr priest is back in a parish in LaCrosse. But Fr. Altman of that same diocese is canceled. I guess it is who you know, and how you coincide with their vision, whatever that is.

Upvote 0

whatisinausername

Nov 23, 2022
America
✟3,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Psychopaths.
This priest was convicted of confessing a person he partnered with in an ecclesaistical crime. That appears to be the reason for the excommunication. And it's one thing to have an excommunication lifted. But does he still get to hear confessions routinely?

The Grindr priest is back in a parish in LaCrosse. But Fr. Altman of that same diocese is canceled. I guess it is who you know, and how you coincide with their vision, whatever that is.
Every priest knows they are not allowed to do that and she is free to receive the sacrament anywhere. I am less bothered by a priest acting on lust. This is just arrogance from a dangerous individual.

Upvote 0