Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Fr. Z seems to be on to something. And as such, we should be calm and wait and see. This 'correction' seems an ominous undoing of pope saint John Paul II's Liturgicam authenticam, which was a return to sanity in liturgical translations. But maybe it's a bit more complex than that. If cardinal Sarah is soon demoted, we'll know one thing. If not, another. In the mean time I suspect Fr. Z will have a semi-inside track to what is actually happening. So I'll be patient. Or try to be.

In the mean time I extra highly recommend Sarah's 'God Or Nothing'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Fr. Z seems to be on to something. And as such, we should be calm and wait and see. This 'correction' seems an ominous undoing of pope saint John Paul II's Liturgicam authenticam, which was a return to sanity in liturgical translations. But maybe it's a bit more complex than that. If cardinal Sarah is soon demoted, we'll know one thing. If not, another. In the mean time I suspect Fr. Z will have a semi-inside track to what is actually happening. So I'll be patient. Or try to be.

In the mean time I extra highly recommend Sarah's 'God Or Nothing'.
Here's a rough illustration of what I think has happened to the Church:

The Direction the Church.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think that the straight line parts have never been straight very long. The Arian thing, for example, was a huge zag in the road.
It's a straight line because Rome didn't become Arian back then, and the heresy lost its popularity after the Church condemned Arianism. The situation now is that the heresy of modernism, which Pope St. Pius X called the synthesis of all heresies, is gaining ground even in the Vatican.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It's a straight line because Rome didn't become Arian back then, and the heresy lost its popularity after the Church condemned Arianism. The situation now is that the heresy of modernism, which Pope St. Pius X called the synthesis of all heresies, is gaining ground even in the Vatican.
Ok. But your post with the timeline referred to the Church and not to the Vatican. True that Arianism didn't take hold in Rome. But do consider the bad popes, not that they messed with teaching on faith and morals, but that they were failures to live that faith and morality. That too was a series of zigs and zags. Point is, bad as the current situation is, and as much as my heart is breaking now, it's not the first ever situation of that line being crooked.

In addition, I think the lines have shifted farther immediately after Vatican II, and been partially restored under JPII. I even appreciate Paul VI more now than I did for restraining as much as he was able.

And Modernists are a tenacious breed, digging in, promoting their own in the bureaucracies, hard to pin down. I would have thought that after JPII and Benedict that they should have been almost extinct so I am surprised at how they are grabbing power now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums