Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yea, I read this this morning. What surprises me is that some people seem offended by this, as if it were new news. If we are in ecumenical talks, I think it is important that these issues are clearly and succinctly drawn out.

Thanks for the post!

Reactions: nestoj
Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is the best news I've heard in ages. It's about time the leadership of the Roman Church had the stones to stand up and proclaim what they ACTUALLY believe rather than spouting their typical touchy-feely ecumenical garbage (lies). The only way to have fruitful dialogue is if both parties approach the table with honesty. It doesn't work if one or both party just tries to sweep the issues under the rug.

Reactions: Protoevangel
Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

I'm certainly glad to see the same wishy-washy nonsense thrown out the window. Not that I care that he thinks Christ's Church is 'defective.' (If he thinks we're 'defective,' I would hate to see his idea of 'working order'!)

Now, could someone please obtain a copy of this, highlight the word 'defective', and stick it in the EP's nose?

Upvote 0

Rowan

You are my brethren ♥
Apr 13, 2006
Allendale, MI
Visit site
✟16,998.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is the best news I've heard in ages. It's about time the leadership of the Roman Church had the stones to stand up and proclaim what they ACTUALLY believe rather than spouting their typical touchy-feely ecumenical garbage (lies). The only way to have fruitful dialogue is if both parties approach the table with honesty. It doesn't work if one or both party just tries to sweep the issues under the rug.

I agree! I kinda like this traditionalist Pope.

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One thing that I've learned about old people of German or Slavic decent: they are honest. They will speak their minds.:)
Let's start then: I never trusted bishops of Rome. That changed with this one - I'm CERTAIN that he is telling what he thinks and that is a good thing for a change. I just hope EP will adjust his position in light of this event.

nestoj
God helps

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Okay, coming from a Catholic background, I never really kept up with stuff... I take it the pope and the ecumenical patriarch (that's what EC stands for, isn't it?) have been in discussions, but what are they discussing? I mean, the churches have been in schism for nearly 1000 years, so there's no way either side's beliefs are unclear to the other. Or is that not true?

Upvote 0

Shubunkin

Antiochian Orthodox Christian
Jun 18, 2005
✟17,565.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yea - saw that. **yawn** :)

The document said Orthodox churches were indeed “churches” because they have apostolic succession and that they enjoyed “many elements of sanctification and of truth.” But it said they lack something because they do not recognize the primacy of the pope — a defect, or a “wound” that harmed them, it said.

That's the rich part....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yea - saw that. **yawn** :)

That's the rich part....

:D

Let's not forget to enjoy our "many elements of sanctification and truth" next Liturgy.

Macarius said:
It's no different than what we'd say about them. Good job to the Pope for having the courage.

I think it's a little more complicated than that. There are Orthodox who'd hold a like view of them, I'm sure, but there are stronger views among Orthodox as well, ones that would call for stronger terms, such as one in particular that starts with an H.

"Defective", to me at least, sounds a little too much like "parasynagogue".

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This pope just a few days ago sanctioned the Latin mass. The latin mass would appeal to the hardcore rc and sspx. Likewise this statement would appeal to the same group.

I'm wondering whether this pope has finally come to terms (something other christian leaders need to do as well) that Europe (and the west in general) is now post-christian and beyond saving.

Perhaps going back to traditional ways for the remnant.

Hopefully the Orthodox ecumenists will wake up and uphold True Orthodoxy in the light of this.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Sothron

Humble Orthodox Christian
Nov 28, 2006
Columbus, Ga
✟16,708.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This pope just a few days ago sanctioned the Latin mass. The latin mass would appeal to the hardcore rc and sspx. Likewise this statement would appeal to the same group.

I'm wondering whether this pope has finally come to terms (something other christian leaders need to do as well) that Europe (and the west in general) is now post-christian and beyond saving.

Perhaps going back to traditional ways for the remnant.

Hopefully the Orthodox ecumenists will wake up and uphold True Orthodoxy in the light of this.

I sadly agree with this. I do not think it is possible without a true miracle to reverse the slide in the Western world.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.