Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was going to add this in with my previous thread from yesterday but it seems to have disappeared. :scratch:

"On this point, I want to say – indeed, to repeat – what Saint Paul VI said in his day: We are ready to accept any proposal that is made together."

Both the Catholic and the Orthodox Churches have spoken about resolve to find a shared date for Easter, and it seems that this goal might be closer than ever.

This November 19, Pope Francis received in audience His Holiness Mar Awa III, Catholicos-Patriarch of the Assyrian Church of the East, which has its See in Iraq.

The Pope thanked the Catholicos-Patriarch for assuring his desire to find a common date for Easter.

For Catholics, Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon following the spring equinox. While there are various factors that cause the divergence of dates with the Orthodox – including the use of the Gregorian vs Julian calendar – one aspect is that the Orthodox Churches abide by a previous requirement that said the Pascha must take place after the Jewish Passover in order to maintain the Biblical sequence of Christ’s Passion.

Learn more about the divergent dates here.

Continued below.

Reactions: pdudgeon

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,584,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The one I posted yesterday:
1,700 Years After Nicaea, Ecumenical Patriarch Says 2025 May See Historic Catholic-Orthodox Easter Date Agreement...

I don't think the Lord minds how we do it.

I understand the dilemma of the first councils over this.

St John the Apostles followers said it should be this way, and mind you this occurred after all the Apostles passed away, they resolved to celebrate not just weekly but annually the Resurrection.
Everybody made some great points but what was lost was that St John would have deferred to St Peter in this matter if it existed in his time.

But the query presented itself after St Peter's death and the the followers - second generation from St John - made their case.

Either way, the Lord's not scrupulous with His Church on times and dates but the PURPOSE behind the Memorial. IMHO

Upvote 0