Pope intervenes in Nigerian rift, orders priests to write letters of apology or face suspension

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I understand how grave things have gotten. I just don't know what issue is driving it. Why doesn't the diocese want the bishop that has been appointed? Is it because he teaches something they disagree with? Is it because he is the wrong ethnicity? Is it because they had someone in mind from their own diocese and won't back down from that? Is it because he has a reputation for vice or corruption? Is it because he is mismanaging the diocese?

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I understand how grave things have gotten. I just don't know what issue is driving it. Why doesn't the diocese want the bishop that has been appointed? Is it because he teaches something they disagree with? Is it because he is the wrong ethnicity? Is it because they had someone in mind from their own diocese and won't back down from that? Is it because he has a reputation for vice or corruption? Is it because he is mismanaging the diocese?

I think the article touches on it.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Peter Ebere Okpaleke, an outsider who doesn't belong to the Mbaise ethnic group that dominates the diocese. That produced a strong backlash from the clergy in Ahiara, who suspected tribal bias and demanded that one of their own be named.

Continued below.
Three ironies about a dramatic show of papal muscle in Nigeria

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't understand why
  • priests from this diocese have been neglected for ordination to bishops or auxiliary bishops (even if it's not in their own diocese).
  • the current bishop won't confirm anyone
  • the current bishop won't ordain anyone to the priesthood
  • the pope is coming down so heavy handed on this while Cardinal Pell still isn't being tried by the Vatican
  • the choice for bishops can exclude input from the local diocese

Upvote 0

NewLove

Jul 11, 2017
Indiana
✟18,598.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So the Pope will come down hard on priests who have a problem with their Bisop but not on so called Catholic politicians who support abortion?
This is like saying church hierarchy is more important than innocent life

Not sure if my leg is being pulled here, but yeah, the Pope is going to "come down" harder on disobedient clergy then on lay people.

Upvote 0