Pope Francis to parents of L.G.B.T. children: ‘God loves your children as they are

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Pope Francis told a group of parents of L.G.B.T. children yesterday that “God loves your children as they are” and “the church loves your children as they are because they are children of God.” He did so in a brief encounter with some 40 Italian parents (both mothers and fathers) of L.G.B.T. children after the public audience in the Renaissance courtyard of San Damaso in the Vatican.

Pope Francis to parents of L.G.B.T. children: ‘God loves your children as they are.’

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
In a sense, that is true. It's wide open to interpretation tho. The Holy Father's critics are having a field day with that tho.

Exactly. So was it said that way purposely to allow various interpretation?

Yes God loves us as we are but not our sinful nature.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. So was it said that way purposely to allow various interpretation?

Yes God loves us as we are but not our sinful nature.
President Trump does that. He will speak in vague terms to allow himself flexibility later on. It's a good political tactic.

But I don't think it's a good pastoral technique at all. The Holy Father really should be clearer about these things. Yes yes yes, the news media (for want of a better expression) will call him all kinds of meanie-head names but truth is truth, yes?

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know my attitude is probably selfish, childish and maybe even hypocritical... But when I see stuff like this I get irritatated that I'm struggling against my sins, I feel shame when I sin and rightly so. I want to restore the relationship with God I have broken.

I just feel a bit unfairly treated when other people's sin is seen in someway acceptable. I know it's not offically condoned or accepted but I can't describe it another way.

The rainbow flag is also called the pride flag. Being proud of a sin is sort of a double whammy.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I know my attitude is probably selfish, childish and maybe even hypocritical... But when I see stuff like this I get irritatated that I'm struggling against my sins, I feel shame when I sin and rightly so. I want to restore the relationship with God I have broken.

I just feel a bit unfairly treated when other people's sin is seen in someway acceptable. I know it's not offically condoned or accepted but I can't describe it another way.

The rainbow flag is also called the pride flag. Being proud of a sin is sort of a double whammy.

We are all called to pick up our crosses daily and follow Christ. There will always be gals teachings.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are all called to pick up our crosses daily and follow Christ. There will always be gals teachings.
I just find it hard to understand why that isn't also part of the message given in your link.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Pope Francis is an easy target for the media. His words get twisted and misinterpreted all of the time. But, he could be a lot clearer in his messages on occasions.
If you know your words will be misinterpreted you have a responsibility to be absolutely clear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus spoke in parables remember. ;)
And his audience (just like the Disciples) had the responsibility to ask for clarification.
When asked, Jesus always clarified.
And in these days we still have His words of clarification to refer to any time we like.

So if there is any question about what the Holy Father said, we can easily refer to Jesus who has all the right answers.

Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Jesus spoke in parables remember. ;)
And parables have punchlines. They are not so obscure once you have been hit on the head with the point. Francis, OTOH, is pretty obscure. Does he mean God loves LGBT people just the way they are, which is what he said, or that he loves them just the way they are but wants them changed by the experience? Am I loved enough to keep on sinning and it's all good? What can I get away with if God loves me? What can you get away with if God loves you? What does Francis say?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I just find it hard to understand why that isn't also part of the message given in your link.

The reason why it isn't a part of the message, is because The Pope has chosen a different pathway than previous Popes, he lives in a different residence than previous Popes did, and he entertains different World religions.
When you add all that up, it's not surprising that different words would come forth from his mouth.

• Agree
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,161.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And his audience (just like the Disciples) had the responsibility to ask for clarification.
When asked, Jesus always clarified.
And in these days we still have His words of clarification to refer to any time we like.

So if there is any question about what the Holy Father said, we can easily refer to Jesus who has all the right answers.

Matthew 13:10-15
10 Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” 11 And he answered them, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For to him who has will more be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 With them indeed is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah which says:

‘You shall indeed hear but never understand,
and you shall indeed see but never perceive.
15 For this people’s heart has grown dull,
and their ears are heavy of hearing,
and their eyes they have closed,
lest they should perceive with their eyes,
and hear with their ears,
and understand with their heart,
and turn for me to heal them.’

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
The reason why it isn't a part of the message, is because The Pope has chosen a different pathway than previous Popes, he lives in a different residence than previous Popes did, and he entertains different World religions.
When you add all that up, it's not surprising that different words would come forth from his mouth.

But it is the meaning of those words which are in question. The Pontiff can surely tell gay youth they are loved and maybe he could tell the them about the Courage Apostolate that helps them live chaste lives.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
But it is the meaning of those words which are in question. The Pontiff can surely tell gay youth they are loved and maybe he could tell the them about the Courage Apostolate that helps them live chaste lives.

Certainly he could tell them those things.
But the point here is would that make a difference:
an Eternal difference?

Or would it only serve to make them comfortable, and lull them to sleep like a frog in a pot of warm water that slowly boils them to death?

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Certainly he could tell them those things.
But the point here is would that make a difference:
an Eternal difference?

Or would it only serve to make them comfortable, and lull them to sleep like a frog in a pot of warm water that slowly boils them to death?

Are you familiar with the Courage Apostolate ? They are approved by the church . They absolutely make a difference.

Upvote 0