✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Pope Francis on Trump's threat to DACA: That's not "pro-life"

Pope Francis on Monday said those who support the separation of families through restrictive immigration laws cannot describe themselves as “pro-life.”

“A good pro-lifer,” Francis said, “understands that family is the cradle of life, and that its unity must be defended.”

Then he talked about climate deniers.

As Hurricane Irma continues to bear down on Florida in the United States, the pontiff also had some sharp words for climate change skeptics, saying that anyone who doubts it’s real should “speak to a scientist.”

“A university, I don’t remember which one, said we only have three years to reverse course or the consequences will be terrible,” Francis said. “I don’t know if three years is true or not, but if we don’t go back we will go down, that is true.”

Italians, instead, asked about why some are taking so long to become conscious of the impact of climate change. To this, the pope answered with an old saying from the Psalms: “Man is a stupid and hard-headed being who doesn’t see.”

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I wonder how being for DACA repeal is against a pro-life agenda...and I wonder how being a man-caused climate change denier shows that we don't believe climate changes?
We can be against DACA and still be for the humane treatment of DACA folks. Fact is, most of them are adults now, anyway. And understanding that the climate changes, you can also know that it's not primarily caused by mankind.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What if we believe the Dream act should be law, but that Congress should pass it and not the President using executive orders to go against existing immigration law? Is believing in the separation of powers not a pro-life position, according to the Pope? Or does he only care about the ends, not the means?

The Pope also appears to not understand the situation regarding the end of DACA (he even says as much in the article, that he isn't familiar with the law). There will be a six month window before any enforcement action can happen with DACA persons, so there is plenty of time for Congress to do it's job and pass the DREAM act. Pres. Trump has also said that if Congress does not act within six months, that he will reconsider the status of DACA (much to the consternation of Steve Bannon and his followers). So it's not like anyone new is going to be rounded up and deported because of the ending of the executive order. Most likely, the Pope was given a slanted rundown of the situation and he responded accordingly. Hopefully, once he familiarizes himself with the situation, he will urge Congress to do their jobs and pass the DREAM act.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Methinks y'all doth protest too much, but if you like, you can always write him and tell him why he's wrong--in your POV, of course.

I think he's saying things that have needed to be loudly proclaimed for years.

And respectfully, tallguy, six months isn't long enough. We'll need until January 2019 when we have a new, improved--God willing--Congress.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Before we say, 'all Congress has to do is pass it', it might be worth reviewing what happened in 2010 (GOP filibuster needed 60 votes to overcome, only 55 were recieved)
When I look at the key players in that action blocking DACA, like Sessions, I am not optimistic.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that one of the things I like best about Pope Francis is that if I--or anyone else--wrote him a letter respectfully disagreeing with his point of view on DACA or climate change that he (or his staff) would read it respectfully and without judgment. He would try, as much as possible, to treat communications as Jesus would.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Methinks y'all doth protest too much, but if you like, you can always write him and tell him why he's wrong--in your POV, of course.

Or preface their posts with "With all due respect to the Bishops". :priest:

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Before we say, 'all Congress has to do is pass it', it might be worth reviewing what happened in 2010 (GOP filibuster needed 60 votes to overcome, only 55 were recieved)
When I look at the key players in that action blocking DACA, like Sessions, I am not optimistic.
If Congress can't or won't pass it, then it won't be the law. Still isn't the President's job to circumvent immigration law with executive orders.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tallguy- thanks for the sanity but moderates are not all that popular. You must take a side. Addressing each issue as it comes without the blinders is just not in vogue. You tow the line when it comes to politics. Got to be partisan!
So the President should just do whatever he wants with executive orders and just ignore Congress? Are you sure you really want Trump doing that?

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I can find 21 instances of the word "stupid" in the Bible. Job's take seems rather pessimistic ("But a stupid person will get understanding, when a wild ass is born human,"), but the pastoral epistles a bit more practical, ("Have nothing to do with stupid and senseless controversies; you know that they breed quarrels").

I can't find the psalm verse the Pope is reported as having quoted, though. Perhaps that's a translation thing?
What version is that?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well that's my confirmation:wave:
I can find 21 instances of the word "stupid" in the Bible. Job's take seems rather pessimistic ("But a stupid person will get understanding, when a wild ass is born human,"), but the pastoral epistles a bit more practical, ("Have nothing to do with stupid and senseless controversies; you know that they breed quarrels").

I can't find the psalm verse the Pope is reported as having quoted, though. Perhaps that's a translation thing?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's an odd translation then. It's nowhere in any of the 4 Catholic bibles I have.

What word do your translations use at 2 Tim 2:23 (where I have "stupid and senseless controversies")?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That didn't take long. NRSV Catholic Edition.

Job 11:12
But a stupid person will get understanding, when a wild ass is born human.
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
Job 18:3
Why are we counted as cattle? Why are we stupid in your sight?
Psalm 73:22
I was stupid and ignorant; I was like a brute beast toward you.
Psalm 92:6
The dullard cannot know, the stupid cannot understand this:
Proverbs 12:1
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but those who hate to be rebuked are stupid.
Proverbs 19:13
A stupid child is ruin to a father, and a wife’s quarreling is a continual dripping of rain.
Proverbs 24:30
I passed by the field of one who was lazy, by the vineyard of a stupid person;
Proverbs 30:2
Surely I am too stupid to be human; I do not have human understanding.
Sirach 22:15
Sand, salt, and a piece of iron are easier to bear than a stupid person.
Sirach 27:12
Among stupid people limit your time, but among thoughtful people linger on.
Sirach 42:8
Do not be ashamed to correct the stupid or foolish or the aged who are guilty of sexual immorality. Then you will show your sound training, and will be approved by all.
Isaiah 19:11
The princes of Zoan are utterly foolish; the wise counselors of Pharaoh give stupid counsel. How can you say to Pharaoh, “I am one of the sages, a descendant of ancient kings”?
Jeremiah 4:22
“For my people are foolish, they do not know me; they are stupid children, they have no understanding. They are skilled in doing evil, but do not know how to do good.”
Jeremiah 10:8
They are both stupid and foolish; the instruction given by idols is no better than wood!
Jeremiah 10:14
Everyone is stupid and without knowledge; goldsmiths are all put to shame by their idols; for their images are false, and there is no breath in them.
Jeremiah 10:21
For the shepherds are stupid, and do not inquire of the Lord; therefore they have not prospered, and all their flock is scattered.
Jeremiah 51:17
Everyone is stupid and without knowledge; goldsmiths are all put to shame by their idols; for their images are false, and there is no breath in them.
2 Timothy 2:23
Have nothing to do with stupid and senseless controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.
Titus 3:9
But avoid stupid controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.

BibleGateway - : stupid

• Informative
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And again. NABRE

2 Maccabees 11:13
But Lysias was not a stupid man. He reflected on the defeat he had suffered, and came to realize that the Hebrews were invincible because the mighty God was their ally. He therefore sent a message
Psalm 73:22
I was stupid and could not understand; I was like a brute beast in your presence.
Psalm 94:8
[ III ] Understand, you stupid people! You fools, when will you be wise?
Proverbs 12:1
[ Chapter 12 ] Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates reproof is stupid.
Proverbs 13:10
The stupid sow discord by their insolence, but wisdom is with those who take counsel.
Wisdom 15:14
But most stupid of all and worse than senseless in mind, are the enemies of your people who enslaved them.
Wisdom 15:18
[ Second Example Resumed ] Besides, they worship the most loathsome beasts— as regards stupidity, these are worse than the rest,
Ben Sira 6:20
She is rough ground to the fool! The stupid cannot abide her.
Ben Sira 21:18
Like a house in ruins is wisdom to a fool; to the stupid, knowledge is incomprehensible chatter.
Ben Sira 22:13
Do not talk much with the stupid, or visit the unintelligent. Beware of them lest you have trouble and be spattered when they shake themselves off. Avoid them and you will find rest and not be wearied by their lack of sense.
Ben Sira 22:15
Sand, salt, and an iron weight are easier to bear than the stupid person.
Ben Sira 27:12
Limit the time you spend among the stupid, but frequent the company of the thoughtful.
Isaiah 19:11
Utter fools are the princes of Zoan! the wisest of Pharaoh’s advisers give stupid counsel. How can you say to Pharaoh, “I am a descendant of wise men, of ancient kings”?
Isaiah 29:9
[ Blindness and Perversity ] Stupefy yourselves and stay stupid; blind yourselves and stay blind! You who are drunk, but not from wine, who stagger, but not from strong drink!
Jeremiah 10:8
One and all they are stupid and senseless, the instruction from nonentities—only wood!
Jeremiah 10:14
Everyone is too stupid to know; every artisan is put to shame by his idol: He has molded a fraud, without breath of life.
Jeremiah 10:21
How stupid are the shepherds! The Lord they have not sought; For this reason they have failed, and all their flocks scattered.
Jeremiah 51:17
Every man is stupid, ignorant; every artisan is put to shame by his idol: He molds a fraud, without life-breath.
Galatians 3:1
[ IV. Faith and Liberty ] [ Chapter 3 ] Justification by Faith. O stupid Galatians! Who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?
Galatians 3:3
Are you so stupid? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now ending with the flesh?

• Informative
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Uh huh, where's deportation in the bible?

Nevermind, I'll do it myself.

0 Bible results for “deportation.”

Sorry, we didn’t find any results for your search. Please try the following:

• Double-check spelling, especially people and place names.
  • Make sure there are spaces between words. Bible Gateway treats “nameoftheFather” and “name of the Father” differently.
  • Use fewer words in your search, especially if you’re unsure of the exact phrase. For example, “baptizing name Father” and “baptizing them in the name of the Father” will both return Matthew 28:19; however, the latter leaves a greater chance for spelling and syntax errors.
  • Retry your search in another translation.

• Agree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.