Pope Francis Releases Surprise Letter on Jerome and Scripture Study on the 16th Centennial of His...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...Death

Jerome–often called “the greatest of the doctors of the Church”–once wrote: “He who is united to the Chair of Peter is one with me” (Ep.16, 2). In turn, throughout history, various popes have honored him. Today, Pope Francis took up that tradition.

It was announced this morning that Francis has released an Apostolic Letter, Scripturae Sacrae Affectus, devoted to Jerome. As Francis observes, his is not the first papal letter to celebrate the saint. In 1920, Benedict XV wrote an encyclical letter, Spiritus Paraclitus, to mark the fifteenth centenary of his death. Likewise, on Jerome’s feast in 2010, Francis’ predecessor, Benedict XVI, published Verbum Domini, which offered an especially detailed look at biblical study and its ecclesial significance. This year marks the 1600th anniversary of his death.

WHY JEROME?

Why is Jerome often treated as the greatest of the ancient doctors? Papal letters are not frequently written to commemorate the deaths of other great saints in history like this, which prompts the question: What makes him so special? Is the unique attention given to him due to his obvious Christ-like demeanor?

Not quite.

Jerome is famous for his irascible and curmudgeonly style. His personality was captured well by Phyllis McGinley:

Continued below.
Pope Francis Releases Surprise Letter on Jerome and Scripture Study on the 16th Centennial of His Death

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
...Death

Jerome–often called “the greatest of the doctors of the Church”–once wrote: “He who is united to the Chair of Peter is one with me” (Ep.16, 2). In turn, throughout history, various popes have honored him. Today, Pope Francis took up that tradition.

It was announced this morning that Francis has released an Apostolic Letter, Scripturae Sacrae Affectus, devoted to Jerome. As Francis observes, his is not the first papal letter to celebrate the saint. In 1920, Benedict XV wrote an encyclical letter, Spiritus Paraclitus, to mark the fifteenth centenary of his death. Likewise, on Jerome’s feast in 2010, Francis’ predecessor, Benedict XVI, published Verbum Domini, which offered an especially detailed look at biblical study and its ecclesial significance. This year marks the 1600th anniversary of his death.
The bit I read last night was actually pretty good. I hope the rest is. I hope there are no bombshell notes hidden in it. I want him to have written something grand.

Upvote 0