Pope Francis proposes adding ‘ecological sin’ against ‘common home’ to catechism

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pope Francis proposes adding ‘ecological sin’ against ‘common home’ to catechism

VATICAN CITY, November 15, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – Pope Francis said today that he is thinking about adding the “‘ecological sin’ against our common home” to the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

"We have to introduce―we are thinking about it―to the Catechism of the Catholic Church the sin against ecology, the 'ecological sin' against our common home, because a duty is at stake," Pope Francis told his hearers. The Argentinian pontiff made the remark in a speech he gave today to the 20th World Congress of the International Association of Penal Law in Rome.

Top Catholic thinkers, however, told LifeSiteNews that it’s impossible for man to sin against inanimate objects such as the earth or the environment, but only against God and those created in His image.

Catholic author Dr. Peter Kwasniewski told LifeSiteNews that when human beings abuse creation, they are sinning against God or their fellow man, not the earth.

“There is no possible sin against planet Earth,” Kwasniewski said.

“All sins are ultimately against God or those who are in God's image. As all theologians have explained prior to the post-conciliar decline of theology, when we abuse the natural world or animals or plants, we are sinning against God their creator, who gave them to us to use for the right purposes and in accordance with their nature and ours,” he continued.

more at link:

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟99,357.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So every Vatican postings made with an electronic device is a sin. You know cause it's made with rare earths and mining and refining these earths are toxic to nature.

The Vatican has become earthly in its pursuit. The activists be it for the environment or society are our new priests. All the church does is parrot their talking points. Change dogma to fit in.

I'm not for abusing the environment. In fact I'm very much for protecting it. But to have the Vatican add a new type of sin just for it is going too far. What's next Jesus is non-binary and gender fluid?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Would not that already be covered?

To a degree but there are also varying bishops conference documents on stewardship of creation since the publication of the catechism. And those as long as they are in Union with Catholic teaching are part of the Magisterium.

So if the Church sees the need to make something clearer, it is not common but not unique for the Catechism to be updated.

the current sections on stewardship in the Catechism deal with the universal destination of goods following Augustines view. but there is ample magisterial teaching about respect for creation that could provide an orthodox addition.

The problem would be if the core basis of how it's written is more political rather than theological.

It has to be written in union with the stewardship of creation theological view that already exists. Not a view based on transitory social concerns.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Informative
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To a degree but there are also varying bishops conference documents on stewardship of creation since the publication of the catechism. And those as long as they are in Union with Catholic teaching are part of the Magisterium.

So if the Church sees the need to make something clearer, it is not common but not unique for the Catechism to be updated.

the current sections on stewardship in the Catechism deal with the universal destination of goods following Augustines view. but there is ample magisterial teaching about respect for creation that could provide an orthodox addition.

The problem would be if the core basis of how it's written is more political rather than theological.

It has to be written in union with the stewardship of creation theological view that already exists. Not a view based on transitory social concerns.
When do you think we will know the full outputs of the Amazon synod?

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Quickly. And not quickly as viewed in the Vatican's normal glacial pace. But actually quickly.

I would say before Christmas. And I am not optimistic.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I agree that it will be before the end of 2019. And I agree that it will probably be an abysmal document. Or maybe a mediocre document with a few disasters included. I want to see how pope Francis explains Pachamamaism.

Last edited:
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We have to introduce―we are thinking about it―to the Catechism of the Catholic Church the sin against ecology, the 'ecological sin' against our common home, because a duty is at stake."
I've consciously tried to keep my footprint on this earth as small as possible, recycling, reusing, driving economical cars, insulating my abodes, using the latest lightbulbs, eating minimal amounts of meat, and all of that stuff. Actually few people hold a candle to me in that regard.

I'm not in favor of politicizing sins, which seems to be what this is ultimately all about. I wasn't in favor of pope Francis saying there was to be no capital punishment. Now I'm against putting even a convicted killer to death, but I can see a rare case where it would be necessary to protect society. That was what the Catechism had before. In fact I'm thinking I'll just keep my Catechism and not bother with the update.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums