United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
At least he's not ambiguous anymore.
No. Not any more. Meeting with James Martin, LGBTSJ and now this one seem to indicate his interests. But then his picks for cardinals line up well too.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
No. Not any more. Meeting with James Martin, LGBTSJ and now this one seem to indicate his interests. But then his picks for cardinals line up well too.

Yup.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like Pope Francis is blind to the pitfalls of "embracing" everything. I understand him wanting to reach out to people who feel disenfranchised from the Church, but it's a thin line between that and endorsing what they are doing. It's the Pope's job to lead us to righteousness, not to our own sinful desires.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Should adults not be allowed to private therapy of their choice or are you the arbiter of that?

Well if a type of 'therapy' is proven to not only not work but be dangerous... after all, there are people who promote drinking bleach as a cure for various medical conditions, and many places have laws against making such claims of its effectiveness.

Not to mention that, AFAIK, in the majority of cases, parents or guardians force it upon children unwillingly.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Considering that conversion therapy has proven to be ineffective and harmful, banning it makes sense.

There are Dutch psychologist and psychoanalysts who have had high success working with and helping those who struggle with their same sex attraction and they have observed that the a common denominator is that they struggle with depression and a highly neurotic nature. So maybe the depression and suicidal thoughts were present prior to entering therapy. But the truth will never be told by those who have an agenda to push.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are Dutch psychologist and psychoanalysts who have had high success working with and helping those who struggle with their same sex attraction and they have observed that the a common denominator is that they struggle with depression and a highly neurotic nature. So maybe the depression and suicidal thoughts were present prior to entering therapy. But the truth will never be told by those who have an agenda to push.

I haven't seen any convincing studies showing that it works at all. In most cases, it just causes harm and even suicide.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Well if a type of 'therapy' is proven to not only not work but be dangerous... after all, there are people who promote drinking bleach as a cure for various medical conditions, and many places have laws against making such claims of its effectiveness.

Not to mention that, AFAIK, in the majority of cases, parents or guardians force it upon children unwillingly.

I never mentioned children. That is a red herring. Your mentioning a therapy that was practiced by some Protestant groups who for the most part no longer exist.

I am talking about therapy that is practiced by professionals between consenting adults. Read Gerard Van Den Aarweg and there are several others who have worked with 100’s of adults struggling with their identities.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I haven't seen any convincing studies showing that it works at all. In most cases, it just causes harm and even suicide.

Studies clearly show a high rate of depression and suicidal ideation
In homosexuals. So which came first?

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I never mentioned children. That is a red herring. Your mentioning a therapy that was practiced by some Protestant groups who for the most part no longer exist.

I am talking about therapy that is practiced by professionals between consenting adults. Read Gerard Van Den Aarweg and there are several others who have worked with 100’s of adults struggling with their identities.

Do you have a link where I could peruse this information?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Are you suggesting that the suicides are unrelated to the therapy practices?
I think the suggestion is that untreated depression leads to suicide in many cases.

• Agree
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Adults should be able to make their own decision about therapy. It's either working or it isn't (then you move on). The government shouldn't dictate what type of therapy a person wants to have.

Upvote 0