Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A newspaper of questionable quality reports on something that a man claims the Pope told his wife (if I am reading their sourcing correctly). The only official word is "no comment."

I see no reason to give this anything but wait and see if there is any official word from the Church, or at least a more direct and credible source.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It was also reported by the Telegraph which is A1 quality.

This article mentions that she is married to a divorcé, rather than being a divorcée.

Pope Francis 'tells sinner she should be allowed Communion' - Telegraph
The extra details are nice, but as far as I can see this is all hearsay so I can't take anything too seriously. I'm not convinced that the Telegraph is any better on religious reporting, but then again what paper is even passable in that regard? Certainly the article is written with a framing in mind that calls into question the reporter's ability to interpret the facts correctly.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I follow a few priests and bishops on Facebook and Twitter. 100% of them are calling this "bad reporting."
It's not true.
Oh I know it isn't true. This stuff has become routine anymore.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I hope and pray the Pope lifts the prohibition of divorced and remarried couples in receiving Holy Communion, but under certain conditions.

One would be, the couple are committed to Jesus Christ and seek a closer relationship with him and have spoken with a priest about their situation and are seeking a solution with the Church.

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did Pope Francis tell a divorced and civilly remarried woman she could receive Holy Communion?

According to the press accounts, an Argentine woman named Jaqui Lisbona wrote Pope Francis expressing her concern about not being able to receive Communion due to being civilly remarried following a divorce. Her current marriage has lasted 19 years and resulted in two children. Pope Francis then called her, told her that the subject was under study at the Vatican...
Did Pope Francis tell a divorced and civilly remarried woman she could receive Holy Communion?

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sorry I wasn't here but my server kept going out on me. Thanks to all of you for answering. This got me upset but I have calmed down enough to post. The statement that Pope Francis said that it is just a little bit of wine nd bread - like it doesn't matter hit me hard. The big deal in the RC is that wee bit of wine and bread, Christ's body and blood. I am starting again to get upset at the thought. Might have to put a cold pack on my head huh.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fr Z has this to say:

Sometimes it is hard to tell whether the writer gets it wrong because he doesn’t know better or whether their mistakes are on purpose.

From The Telegraph:

Pope Francis tells divorced woman she should be allowed Communion [This is news? No. That was a trick question. Is there more?]

In what would be a break from Catholic teaching, Pope said to have phoned remarried [That adds new information, doesn't it? You would think that something this important would in the headline, no?] Argentine woman Jacquelina Sabetta telling her ‘nothing wrong’ in her taking Holy Communion [Next question: Who says? Who claims that this is what the Pope said?]

Pope Francis has reportedly [!] told a divorced and remarried woman that she should be allowed to receive Holy Communion, in what would be a significant shift from current Catholic Church teaching. [And therefore we are all to be highly skeptical. This is rumor. The woman tells a reporter in Argentina, the wires pick it up, this article is written... how many times removed is this? Did she, at the beginning, even grasp what the Pope might have actually said? (I doubt it.)]

Jacquelina Sabetta, who is from the Pope’s home country of Argentina, wrote to him saying that she found it distressing that as a Catholic who had divorced and remarried, she was not allowed to take the Sacrament in church. ["Take the Sacrament" a turn of phrase redolent of... something.]
Read the rest at Fr Z site I can't post link's yet

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The OP article contains tricky placement of quotation marks to make it appear at first glance that the Pope called the Eucharist "a little bread and wine" when that part is the wording of the writer. The deceptive citation tactics used in the article makes me dismiss the whole thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,209.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One would be, the couple are committed to Jesus Christ and seek a closer relationship with him and have spoken with a priest about their situation and are seeking a solution with the Church.
Jim

It is called an annulment.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

Andres88

Contributor
Feb 7, 2008
Santo Domingo
✟25,823.00
Country
Dominican Republic
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."
Just wondering if you are making withholding Communion the same as "throwing a stone" at someone. LOL.

Upvote 0