Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see that there are many Catholics who would chuck their religion and become right-wing Evangelical Protestants just because of what the Pope said about civil unions.

You are correct. Most people don't follow the teachings of Christ. I wouldn't expect them to all of a sudden start listening.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but the gay lobby, gay activists, absolutely refused to accept what the Pope is talking about.

Their demand was that gay unions be treated--and called--the same as the marriages of opposite sex couples. To use a different term or title was considered by them to be demeaning and, therefore, unacceptable.
Yes, they see a difference between civil marriage and the sacrament of Holy Matrimony. I wonder why you don't?

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
How naive the Pope must be to think that this approach has a ghost of a chance of succeeding. :rolleyes: It didn't before, so why would it now?

I can’t speak for Pope , but as a Christian I think everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation should get protection under the State law. As a Christian I believe homosexuality is sin, but I also believe adultery , fornication or other sexual activity outside marriage is sin, but I don’t think a fornicator or adulteress should not get protection under the law , so why should I oppose a homosexuals get the same protection under the law?

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You are correct. Most people don't follow the teachings of Christ. I wouldn't expect them to all of a sudden start listening.
Be careful, Pot, of who you call black. You don't own the Christian religion, you just represent one minority strand of it. You are in no position to dictate to other Christians what they must believe beyond the fundamental tenets of the faith.

• Winner
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Be careful, Pot, of who you call black. You don't own the Christian religion, you just represent one minority strand of it. You are in no position to dictate to other Christians what they must believe beyond the fundamental tenets of the faith.

I can read and I do that often. The bible isn't complicated.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm out. Talk to you tomorrow. Thanks for listening.

• Friendly
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...I don’t think a fornicator or adulteress should not get protection under the law , so why should I oppose a homosexuals get the same protection under the law?
I don't know. Why should you?

I was simply saying that the Pope's proposal will not fly, and if it is not acceptable to the gay community (or more precisely, to the gay activists) it will not become the compromise the Pope must be aiming for.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Pope Benedict and John Paul were great scholars.

Pope Francis, a Jesuit, is obviously no slouch, but he also has an unsually high level of emotional intelligence. His many years in the third world have given him a much broader perspective on the Church's role in the world, instead of seeing it through a European prism focusing on sexual repression.

He is truly an "Urbis et Orbi" Pope. He sees how the most deadly sins of the prosperous countries (US, Europe, Pacific Rim primarily) have little to do with sexual immorality and everything to do with greed, consumerism, environmental degradation, materialism, and racism.

All of these sins affect not only those in our own countries but the survival of the entire planet.

When he thinks of the parable of the Good Samaritan, he tells us Americans that our neighbor is in Somalia...or Guatemala...or Myannmar...or Syria.

Our sins of omission, our failure to recognize the cries of those who share the earth with us, are so much greater than the sins conservatives rail about.

Thank you for your emotional intelligence, Pope Francis. Open our hearts, Lord.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but the gay lobby, gay activists, absolutely refused to accept what the Pope is talking about.

Their demand was that gay unions be treated--and called--the same as the marriages of opposite sex couples. To use a different term or title was considered by them to be demeaning and, therefore, unacceptable.
Sure. They want more than that. I don't think that means that they will not accept anything less. Haven't many countries already enacted civil union laws? I don't think it's like you see gay activists going around trying to get those laws repealed.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sure. They want more than that. I don't think that means that they will not accept anything less.
There is some degree of possibility, I agree. Maybe in some other country where the treatment towards gays has been savage, they'd be willing to go for any relief. But not in the West, and that appears to be what the Pope was mainly thinking of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is some degree of possibility, I agree. Maybe in some other country where the treatment towards gays has been savage, they'd be willing to go for any relief. But not in the West, and that appears to be what the Pope was mainly thinking of.
That's fair.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Sure. They want more than that. I don't think that means that they will not accept anything less. Haven't many countries already enacted civil union laws? I don't think it's like you see gay activists going around trying to get those laws repealed.
I'm not sure I see why civil unions between gays should be called by a different name than civil unions between straights. "Marriage" is the traditional term for civil unions between straights and does not impinge on or detract from the sacrament of Holy Matrimony in any way that I know of. In any case, the legal ramifications of civil marriage which are spread throughout the body of laws generally use the term marriage and would all have to be ferreted out and changed to apply to "civil unions" as well. Civil marriage is not Holy Matrimony. Get over it.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The pope is infalliable don't you know? That means that every single word said by a pope in the history of the world is correct.
Not being Catholic, I don't know. I know that Roman Catholics consider him "the vicar of Christ" but I don't know if that carries infallibility with the title. Thank you for clarifying. The next question I have is why would a Catholic criticize their infallible Pope as being wrong, i.e. fallible?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I can read and I do that often. The bible isn't complicated.
Yes, that's one of your doctrines--the doctrine of Perspicuity. Not all Christians share that doctrine, in fact most do not.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well if there's one person who wouldn't know what the Bible's message is, the importance of the context that it came out of, nor how to properly approach the book from a hermeunical perspective, it would be the pope.

/s

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The pope is infalliable don't you know? That means that every single word said by a pope in the history of the world is correct.
I should think you would be able to find enough about the Catholic faith to despise without having to make something up.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure I see why civil unions between gays should be called by a different name than civil unions between straights.
The laws governing civil unions would not be the same as the laws governing marriage. For example, if I marry a woman and we have children, there may be provisions relating to each of our rights vis-a-vis the children, child support in the case of divorce, alimony, etc. If I enter into a civil union with my younger brother, or my unemployed best friend (both of being straight males), for the purpose of obtaining health care, or other rights such as the ability to make certain end-of life decisions, there may not be a need for provisions relating to alimony.

"Marriage" is the traditional term for civil unions between straights and does not impinge on or detract from the sacrament of Holy Matrimony in any way that I know of.
No, the laws are not the same, as noted above.

In any case, the legal ramifications of civil marriage which are spread throughout the body of laws generally use the term marriage and would all have to be ferreted out and changed to apply to "civil unions" as well. Civil marriage is not Holy Matrimony. Get over it.
Is "get over it" directed to me? I don't necessarily oppose all forms of civil unions. It would depend on the specifics of the law, I think.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not being Catholic, I don't know. I know that Roman Catholics consider him "the vicar of Christ" but I don't know if that carries infallibility with the title. Thank you for clarifying. The next question I have is why would a Catholic criticize their infallible Pope as being wrong, i.e. fallible?
I wasn't being serious. From what I understand Pope Francis has discontinued the use of the term, so at least at present I think it is a bit of a moot issue. Regardless, the Catholic faith does not teach that the pope is infalliable, or incapable of making error. It is only under very limited circumstances where that occurs. I think the last time infalliability was invoked was something like 70 years ago.

Upvote 0

Swag365

Dec 25, 2019
USA
✟50,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well if there's one person who wouldn't know what the Bible's message is, the importance of the context that it came out of, nor how to properly approach the book from a hermeunical perspective, it would be the pope.

/s
Well if there is a second person, it would be you. Have a nice day.

Upvote 0