✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Link:

Is Pope Francis campaigning for married priests?

The headline presented by the site for the above link only has a little to do with the article, which is much more interesting.

Though Pope Francis represents a great step forward for progressive causes in the Church in many ways, particularly on economic inequality and global climate change, his attitudes towards homosexuality and treatment of celibate homosexual candidates for the priesthood seems to be a continuation of his predecessor's unjust policies. The article also touches on the lack of advancement for women- not just in terms of ordination, but in terms of leadership positions and attitudes towards women.

I don't agree with the conclusion that Francis inching towards a married priesthood is a way of extended male dominance, ensuring heterosexuals replace gays and that the shortage of priests never allows women to be ordained (I think we can have gay priests, female priests, and married priests- not mutually exclusive options), but I do think that the article hints at a reality that I have to admit that sometimes even I forget. The fact is, Pope Francis is the best Pope in my life time and a monumental step forward in some areas, but he still doesn't represent progressive values in many areas, and in fact is fairly conservative on select issues. His Papacy is, looking at it optimistically, only an incremental step in the Church coming in line with better angels (Literally?) of it's nature and embracing the kingdom of heaven as we progressives are beginning to understand it.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75

Philippian

Feb 7, 2017
Luxembourg
✟15,553.00
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Married
The truth is very annoying for progressives. Truth is true whether one likes it or not. If the whole world voted for the earth to be flat, it would still be round. Truth is not subject to fashion either; if something is true it is always true, however often the date changes.

So if it was true yesterday that women cannot be priests it will be true today and tomorrow.

But if it is true today that women can be priests, it means that the Church has been in error and is thus not the Church.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wonder, F&B, and I'm just musing out loud here...

The issues on which Pope Francis is attempting to make great strides are ones where lives literally hang in the balance. People die of poverty, and climate change, with its disproportionate impact on the poor, will likely intensify that badly.

Is it possible that His Holiness has chosen one or two of the most urgent, most ethically compelling issues, to champion, knowing that he simply cannot do it all? If that were the case, would you be able to feel that that's an acceptable stance to take?

Or is anything less than all-out on everything just not enough?

I'm not pushing any particular agenda there, just, as I said, sort of thinking about what I can see of the bigger picture...

• Agree
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Couple of comments. The NCR article headline was a poor one, as it did not reflect the main topic of the article. The story that the Pope told, as printed in the article, was misinterpreted, I think. It seems that the Pope was giving an example of a priest, or a seminarian perhaps, who was showing worldly vanity. Not what the Pope wants in a priest.

The Pope has focused a lot on what he wants to see in the clergy, and it has more to do with their attitude and holiness than it does with whether they are single or married, or male or female. I have a hunch the Pope would not mind female priests, but that won't happen until the Church is brought to its knees from lack of male priests. Married priests could happen much sooner. But I think the major change that will happen, and may have to happen, is a total overhaul of what clergy entails and what it means. I have heard this from insiders who wonder how the Church will handle something so basic as the Sacraments in the future without enough ordained priests.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
but he still doesn't represent progressive values in many areas,
pro choice, female ordination and gay priests?
I don't feel as strongly about these issues as you do.

• Agree
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Truth is true whether one likes it or not. If the whole world voted for the earth to be flat, it would still be round.

I keep telling that to global climate change denialists, and they persist in their denialism anyway. ;) Same thing with creationists. Science is science. It's the study of objective reality. You can have your own opinion (i.e. "What should we do or not do in response to this reality?"), but you can't have your own "alternative facts". So, I agree with you on that point. I think there is a lot of room for subjectivity when it comes to opinions, but we should all be able to acknowledge the same underlying facts.

So if it was true yesterday that women cannot be priests it will be true today and tomorrow.

Ah, but what if women could always be ordained as priests and the Church simply chose not to do so? Though a male-only priesthood has been framed as a matter of faith by some of it's advocates, I consider it a matter of discipline, like priestly celibacy. There were actually likely times when there were no married priests- like after the Great Schism and before some Eastern churches were created in union with Rome or reunited with Rome. So, one could have said at one time "It was true yesterday that married people can not become priests, so it is true today", but that was never ontologically true. Bishops could have always ordained married men as priests, there were times when they simply chose not to, perhaps on orders from the Pope.

If some sort of indisputable evidence existed that in 687AD in some far off diocese, a bishop secretly or not so secretly held an ordination for a woman priest, I would consider that person to have been a validly ordained priest. It might have been illicit, which is to say not allowed by the rules, but she would have sacramentally been a priest, in the same way some renegade groups like the SSPX on the right or the Old Catholics in Europe on the left ordain men against the rules, and they are valid priests, just illicitly ordained. Actually, come to think of it, the Old Catholics do ordain women as priests as well, so there are women priests in the Catholic world, even if not in communion with Rome. Their rites are indisputably Catholic rites, and their episcopal lines come from the several Roman Catholic dioceses that separated in 1870 AD or so, and can be easily historically verified. I also believe that Anglican orders are valid, so I believe there are women deacons, priests, and bishops in the Anglican Communion as well, but I don't want to get bogged down in a discussion of the validity of Anglican orders, which is obviously controversial in and of itself, and separate from the matters at hand.

Now, people can run out all sorts of quotes from important people in the Church who do not believe that women can be validly ordained and that it's a matter of unchangeable doctrine that the Church has no authority to confer such ordinations, but there were times, particularly around the Great Schism when a priestly celibacy seemed to be elevated by some to the level of doctrine, and it turned out the people who had that "higher" view were wrong- it was always a matter of discipline. After Rome starts ordaining women as priests, and that could take centuries, but I believe eventually it will happen, I think we will retroactively say it was always a matter of discipline. Remember, we see but through a lens darkly.

But if it is true today that women can be priests, it means that the Church has been in error and is thus not the Church.

Humans within the Church can error, sometimes even the Church leadership. What Saint was it who said the road to hell is lined with the skulls of bishops? I know someone did actually say that, I'm not saying it- I'm basically quoting a Saint. I actually would be very reluctant to go that far. But mistakes have been made.

Theology tends to try to draw very precise lines about when the infallible Church is speaking and when the fallible humans who make up the Church (Including Popes and bishops- as I know you know, but some reading may not- Vatican I never said the Pope was infallible generally, just under very specific circumstances). When things that were deemed unchangeable change, the goal posts are moved. The minority view that was once dismissed becomes the new orthodoxy.

Look at the changes in the Church's apparent stance towards religious pluralism in the Vatican II era on forward relative to prior to that point, for example. And, actually, that last sentence is something you could go over to the conservative Salt of the Earth area, and they'd agree with me that something changed there. It's just that I think the change was good, and they think the change was bad. Popes like John-Paul II did a good job of trying to plausibly reconcile them as consistent teachings, but, in the end, I don't buy it, and I *like* the changes. But they are changes.

It doesn't bother me that the Church changes and progresses. Change is a fact of life. What you want to do is try to hope that the changes go in the correct direction.

The issues on which Pope Francis is attempting to make great strides are ones where lives literally hang in the balance. People die of poverty, and climate change, with its disproportionate impact on the poor, will likely intensify that badly.

Is it possible that His Holiness has chosen one or two of the most urgent, most ethically compelling issues, to champion, knowing that he simply cannot do it all? If that were the case, would you be able to feel that that's an acceptable stance to take?

I'm not pushing any particular agenda there, just, as I said, sort of thinking about what I can see of the bigger picture...

I think it's actually very plausible that the Pope is very progressive on economics and the environment, and very conservative when it comes to homosexuals, and somewhat conservative when it comes to women. No Popes in recent history have ever aligned 100% with what we would consider either the left or the right in American political terms, even though some obviously leaned more one way or the other, relatively speaking.

It's also possible that the Pope realizes that while in theory he is the successor of St. Peter and has monarchical power, he realizes that theory is not practice. Change too much too quickly, and you wind up with wide-scale schism, or other problems. The Curia and all of the world's Cardinals and bishops are in theory accountable to the Pope, but have their own power bases and their own opinions and duties, and you need to kind of play to those constituencies to some degree or you find them in revolt. He's also the shepherd of souls of a worldwide community. Move too far too fast, and you lose a lot souls. So, it's also possible that he's picking his spots, as you mentioned. His economic and environmental views are less of a move from the positions of prior Popes than some of the other things we've discussed, and less prickly for theology majors. ;) Largely, he's just strengthened pre-existing things, adding to them in spots, and started framing them more in moral and ethical terms, as matters of faith and morals rather than discretionary matters, and put more of a spotlight on them. The ordination of women and the acceptance of gays are sort of "third rail" issues within the Church- the second you touch them, a lot of people will go nuts. It may be that he considers these issues things he would like to do, but doesn't believe the consequences are worth it, or it may be that these are things he doesn't want to do in the first place- he could be like our forum friend here Paul, who applauds Francis' economic and environmental reforms, but wouldn't be entirely comfortable with the rest- Paul is proof that there are some people who fall exactly where Pope Francis says he is. And if Pope Francis says that's where he is, who am I to say otherwise?

However, Pope Francis being in one place doesn't mean that his successors will all be in that same place, necessarily. Sometimes progress is, well, progressive. It doesn't come all at once, it comes gradually.

female ordination and gay priests?
I don't feel as strongly about these issues as you do.

I know. I'm alright with that. We don't always have to agree on everything. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One thing that I did find particularly disappointing here is that Pope Francis seems to have reinforced a change that Pope Benedict made. Let's put stuff like ordaining practicing homosexuals aside. The Church has always ordained celibate homosexuals. Pope Benedict tried to screen out more of them when evaluating candidates for seminary. Pope Francis could have simply reversed this and said "Celibate homosexuals can make great priests. As long as they are celibate, it doesn't really matter what their orientation is." and switched the screening procedures back to the way they used to be, that is to say not trying to screen out most celibate homosexuals. If priests have to be celibate and agree to those terms and can live according to those terms, what does it matter what their orientation is? Even if you think homosexual sex is a sin? Roman Catholics in the Latin Rite (98% of the Church) aren't supposed to have sex with anyone anyway, according to the current rules (With exceptions made for converts who were already married Anglican priests or Lutheran pastors- and of course for the priests in the Eastern churches in union with Rome).

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If priests have to be celibate and agree to those terms and can live according to those terms, what does it matter what their orientation is?
Does the Vatican want to weed out candidates who are strongly heterosexual? That could be, and actually has been, a big problem as well. I think the key is whether the person can live celibately and be a good priest, despite their sexual orientation, whatever it may be.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I must admit, given that they're supposed to be celibate, it's never seemed to me to make much sense getting hung up on who they're not having sex with!

Unless the assumption is that they're not entering seminary with genuine intention to be celibate, but surely that'd be a problem for some straight guys too...?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,435.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I look at the U.S.--and our transformational President. What happened? Racism reared its ugly head, and, in an extreme reaction, his replacement has already secured his position in history as the worst president so far--and most likely in the future as well...

So when Pope Francis is not as daring and risk-taking as I would like him to be, I think about what could happen if he were succeeded by an extreme reactionary...better he is a little cautious and leaves something for the next guy.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I think you make a very interesting point

one thing about Pope Francis, in ALL of his announcements, both formal and more informal
he seems to have this sense of urgency about the topics he chooses to address and the words he uses

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If some sort of indisputable evidence existed that in 687AD in some far off diocese, a bishop secretly or not so secretly held an ordination for a woman priest, I would consider that person to have been a validly ordained priest.

the Catholic Church would consider that a woman playing dress-up back in A.D. 687

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
the Catholic Church would consider that a woman playing dress-up back in A.D. 687

I was speaking directly to the issue raised of many objective truths being true both backwards and forwards, the implication being that if we couldn't ordain women priests before, we can't now. My response was to indicate that just because we *didn't* ordain women priests before, that doesn't mean that bishops were not *capable* of ordaining women priests before. My view is that they always had the ability to do so, they just refrained from doing so because of their own views or the views of others in the Church. And if they always had the ability to, then they could do so at any future time where the Church might decide to formally allow the practice. This will eventually be understood as having always been a matter of discipline and prudence, right after we start ordaining women priests, however long that takes. In the end, I think I will be on the correct side of Church history- the question is just how long it takes, and whether it happens in our lifetimes or not. That it will happen eventually is, in my view, inevitable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When I see women priests being described as "playing dress up", it reminds me of how people used to say the same sorts of things about there being women doctors, soldiers, scientists, CEOs, Presidents and Prime Ministers and so on and so forth. It wasn't that long ago. In fact, sadly, a woman has yet to serve as President or Vice-President of the United States, though one did get almost 3 million more votes than her opponent and lost because our system doesn't always reward the person who the most people vote for.

I realize that ordination, as a sacrament that puts an ontological mark on the soul of the ordained and changes their nature, instituted by God according to the historical traditions and theology of the Catholic Church, falls into a different category than other more secular vocations. However, enough of the same attitudes that people had toward women in those secular vocations until very recently are still present enough today, that if the Church, which tends to be slower to change than other institutions, were simply changing more slowly again here, that is a narrative that would explain this well. That's the narrative that I believe. And it's a narrative that ends with women deacons, priests, bishops, and, yes, Popes. I have faith that it'll happen one day.

Remember, this is the same Church that heard the idea of mass in the vernacular in the 16th century, and approved it in the 20th. :) They were very resistant to the idea when they first heard it, and for most of the centuries between then and when it was implemented. Then they opened the windows and let some fresh air in, when Saint Pope John XXIII called the 2nd Vatican Council. There are windows that haven't been opened yet. One day, they will be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Fish and bread, why don't you just convert to Protestantism?

This is a genuine question both to you and others sharing your ideology.
It seems very, how to put it distorted to try to enforce changes or waiting and hoping for said changes in the Catholic church when our ecclesiology has no room for such and protestantism at least in many flavors do share your ideology.

What is it about the Catholic Church that makes transforming it so so important to you?

The ecclesiology of the church is contrary to the one you openly endorse which as someone put it in this thread will end in one out of two results.
Either the church is standing by her teachings thus never grow to satisfy your own desires or she changes mind and has been deceitful and filled with error since the beginning until the point in time where she suddenly with the wind of the secular society and its ideology gets it right.

Is there any way to win this battle ?
I very curious as to why you need the church to change in a world full of churches.

Very puzzling to me...

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Fish and bread, why don't you just convert to Protestantism?

This is a genuine question both to you and others sharing your ideology.
It seems very, how to put it distorted to try to enforce changes or waiting and hoping for said changes in the Catholic church when our ecclesiology has no room for such and protestantism at least in many flavors do share your ideology.

What is it about the Catholic Church that makes transforming it so so important to you?

The ecclesiology of the church is contrary to the one you openly endorse which as someone put it in this thread will end in one out of two results.
Either the church is standing by her teachings thus never grow to satisfy your own desires or she changes mind and has been deceitful and filled with error since the beginning until the point in time where she suddenly with the wind of the secular society and its ideology gets it right.

Is there any way to win this battle ?
I very curious as to why you need the church to change in a world full of churches.

Very puzzling to me...

I'm going to answer your main question, but first I want to address the overall post, in which I am seeing a lot of binary thinking. These type of thinking isn't just present among conservative Catholics, but among some evangelical Protestants as well. It's the old Lee Strobel canard: "Was Jesus a crazy person or God?". If you don't think he was crazy, then he must be God. Yet, there are a whole host of options in between. That's a false choice. It's like saying either someone must be an extreme conservative or an extremely liberal, or really tall or really short, or angelic or demonic, 1 or 0, rich or poor, black or white, etc..

The truth is, almost nothing is all one thing or another. Roman Catholicism can be true and still change. It can be, in it's ideal state, the best church, or *the* Church, but not exist in it's ideal state yet. 1 Corinthians 13:11-12 (NRSV) states:

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known.

/end scripture quote

Life is a process. Church is a process. It's in a state of becoming, as we all are. The kingdom of heaven is open to us, but we still see it through a fog, even as it pervades the fog and we follow the light forward.

Jesus seemed to see Judaism as true, but stuck in a mindset that needed to change and move toward. It didn't have to be false in order to benefit from an evolution and a disruptive expansion, resurfacing in a new form that was yet the same. Renewal. Pentecost.

In the old days, and still in some Christian communities, after the Feast of Pentecost, the Sundays used to be or are numbered as the [Number] Sunday after Pentecost. Even though we now call in Ordinary Time- the readings and the theme are the same, that the era of the Church is the era of Pentecost. That's when we exist, the time in which a holy wind blows over the earths and creates. It's a time of change.

Ultimately, Rome will be at the center of it.

I know too much history to be a Protestant.

I've at times been an Episcopalian, but always on the progressive Anglo-Catholic wing, a Catholic in exile while awaiting the Chair of St. Peter's conversion. I never could embrace the majority of the Protestant elements. I believe in Apostolic Succession, 7 sacraments, liturgical seasons, the Real Presence, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, etc..

In the end, I was born a Catholic and I'll probably die a Catholic. I'm Irish. It's part of who I am, even when I'm not.

The elements of the Church that exist outside the church are still part of the Church in an invisible way, and sometimes they serve to push her forward on her mission towards truth, love, and universal reconciliation. But, in the end, they are temporary. It is the Rock that endures, and will fold these elements in. They belong to it, even if they come from a part of it's essence that is walled off from it first, that it begot. They will be with it by the end. They were always with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
So you're operating with a totally different paradigm than I do and the church has done until now.

You seem not to believe in one objective truth and the church's mandate to through the Holy ghost infallible establish dogmatic issues.

So to push you a bit, are there any parts of the Catholic Christian tradition that you consider "carved in stones" ?

Are you open for changes in say the dogma of the trinity and or the Christology if so happens that Rome comes to such conclusion?

If these topics are of the table in regards to change then why is that?

It's human hermeneutic under the influence of the Holy Ghost that helped the church to those insights too.

Where shall the line (if anywhere?) be drawn?

Upvote 0