• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Pope drops 'Vicar of Christ' title

Discussion in 'Eschatology - Endtimes & Prophecy Forum' started by Handmaid for Jesus, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Handmaid for Jesus

Handmaid for Jesus You can't steal my joy Supporter

+28,386
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    by Geoffrey Grider April 4, 2020

Archbishop Viganò said it’s as if Pope Francis now views himself as becoming “master of the Church, free to demolish it from within without having to answer to anyone. In short, a tyrant,” he said.
    Roman Catholics from deep within the Vatican are sounding the alarm bells today because Pope Francis is once again doing wacky, end times stuff. Today’s story comes from an article on the Catholic site Life Site News from a statement they received from Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò. Viganò is quite alarmed that Pope Francis has dropped the title ‘Vicar of Christ’ in the annual Vatican Yearbook, and instead has listed himself in ‘his own name’ of Jorge Mario Bergoglio. Life Site News and Viganò are rightly alarmed by this breach of long-standing Vatican protocol, but if they knew anything about bible prophecy, they’d really be quaking in their boots. What Pope Francis did is a prophecy of Antichrist!
    “But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. I am come in my Father’s name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.” John 5:42,43 (KJB)
    Vatican Watchers Stunned As Pope Francis Drops Title 'Vicar Of Christ' Assumes Power As Jorge Mario Bergoglio In 'His Own Name' Fulfilling John 5:43 Prophecy Of Antichrist • Now The End Begins

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Handmaid for Jesus

+28,386
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    Do you all have an opinion about this news?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+5,809
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Its no news really.

The Pope is just being humble thats all.

People try to twist any bit of news into a shape they want it to go!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. ewq1938

ewq1938 Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+4,793
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Sounds more like a non-antichrist move since the whole vicar of Christ thing is quite Antichrist.

5. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+29,497
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    He did not drop that title.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Dave G.

Dave G. Well-Known Member

+3,695
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I suspect the popes intent is not as depicted in the article.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  7. Michie

+29,497
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    It’s not. It really confused me at first but in no way has he dropped his job description.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,426
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    I applaud this change. "Vicar" is derived from a word that means substitute. No human should be claiming to stand in for Christ on the earth. Lord Jesus represents His people to God. We do not need a man-appointed man to do that job. It's already taken.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. jasonMalloy1999

jasonMalloy1999 Well-Known Member

+356
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    do you have proof he hasn't my friend he seems alright to me

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+9,777
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    If this is true (and from the Catholics in this thread, it sounds like it might not be; I don't know if I'd trust the link in the OP), then it could represent a positive step in improving relations with other churches that have always rejected this title on theological and ecclesiological grounds.

*cough*

:sorry:

Other than that, I have no opinion one way or another. The Pope of Rome does whatever he does. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just hope for my Roman Catholic friends' sake that they are finding some good in his leadership at this very trying time for the entire world. I would think a title is most definitely secondary to that, but what do I know.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. Jay Sea

Jay Sea ................ Ke ĉiuj vivu

+43
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    From Catholic news agency
    "
    In a commentary for the German weekly Die Tagepost, the cardinal said that, while the Annuario is issued by the Vatican Secretariat of State via the Vatican Publishing House, it is “only an address book and lacks any teaching authority.”

As in the 2019 edition of the Annuario Pontificio, the new edition has a single page describing the pope as “Francis, bishop of Rome.” But instead of heading a subsequent page with the title "Vicar of Christ." as it did in 2019, the 2020 edition has the pope’s baptismal name, Jorge Mario Bergoglio, followed by a brief biography."

A storm in a tea cup

in love

Jay

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+5,809
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Exactly.

To me, its just the Pope being humble.

May God bless him

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  13. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+4,210
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    He only dropped the Vicar title from a certain important yearly document where it is normally included. Not insignificant by any means, but not definitive either.

From the excerpt here, this article seems to be playing this up strongly. That might be justified - abp Vigano certainly thinks so - but I find this pope's stock in trade is ambiguity and confusion rather than outright abandonment of long-established norms. Of course, the softer approach is very often the more effective way to take down those norms - as can be seen in the cooking a frog slowly metaphor - so there is little comfort there.

• List
  14. Michie

+29,497
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Thanks. I got a phone call and could not reply fast enough. But he has not denounced anything that he has been called to in his vocation.

• List
  15. Handmaid for Jesus

+28,386
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    So why is this Archbishop Vigano tripping out about it if it is nothing?

• List
  16. Michie

+29,497
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Archbishop Vigano has issues with this pope. Some seem valid, this does not seem valid.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. Handmaid for Jesus

+28,386
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    OK. So his opinion is ,in your opinion, skewed against this Pope?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  18. Michie

+29,497
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes. And look, I have admired Vigano and his valid concerns. This one just seems like a stretch. The pope has done some strange things to be sure but this accusation is a huge stretch. He has not denounced anything as far as what his role is as pope.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  19. Michie

+29,497
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes. When it comes to this, I’m optimistic and I’d like to think- fair. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Handmaid for Jesus

+28,386
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    I will join you in your optimism. :)

• Like Like x 1