Pope Benedict’s ‘Impelling Duty’: Rebuild the Full and Visible Unity of the Church

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,669,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By Deacon Keith Fournier
10/24/2009

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

'To reunite all his children, scattered and led astray by sin, the Father willed to call the whole of humanity together into his Son's Church'.

Pope Benedict XVI is indeed the 'Great Unifier'.

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (Catholic Online) –
On April 20, 2005 newly elected Pope Benedict XVI gave his first message at the end of a Mass he had concelebrated with the members of the College of Cardinals in the Sistine Chapel. He signaled his mission: “Nourished and sustained by the Eucharist, Catholics cannot but feel encouraged to strive for the full unity for which Christ expressed so ardent a hope in the Upper Room. The Successor of Peter knows that he must make himself especially responsible for his Divine Master's supreme aspiration. Indeed, he is entrusted with the task of strengthening his brethren (cf. Luke 22: 32). With full awareness, therefore, at the beginning of his ministry in the Church of Rome which Peter bathed in his blood, Peter's current Successor takes on as his primary task the duty to work tirelessly to rebuild the full and visible unity of all Christ's followers. This is his ambition, his impelling duty.”

The announcement of October 20, 2009 that an Apostolic Constitution will establish a “Personal Ordinariate” for Anglican Christians and their Clergy to enter into the full communion of the Catholic Church while retaining elements of their distinctive Anglican identity is generating a lot of Press. Secular news sources have offered some interesting analysis. A Wall Street Journal article written by Stacy Meichtry was entitled “The Great Unifier?” Though worth reading, it is the Title which will endure. The question mark will fall away as this historic moment unfolds over the coming years. Pope Benedict XVI is indeed the “Great Unifier.” The writer claims “Few expected Pope Benedict to reach out to other Christian churches aggressively when he was elected in April 2005”. However, anyone aware of the writings, history and ecclesiology (theology of the Church) of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, knew this would happen. In fact, I believe he is only warming up.

A Wall Street Journal article written by Francis X. Rocca entitled “The Pope Lets a Thousand Liturgies Bloom” is also worth reading. The Vatican correspondent for the Religious news Service wrote: “It may seem ironic that Pope Benedict should be presiding over such diversification of worship. After all, as head of the Vatican's doctrinal office for more than two decades prior to his 2005 election as pope, then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger built a reputation as the church's most vigilant guardian of orthodoxy, receiving the nickname "God's Rottweiler." Benedict is hardly permissive when it comes to liturgy. …Though even most Catholics are not aware of it, many sanctioned modes of worship have co-existed within the church over its 2,000-year history. The Ambrosian Rite, celebrated only in certain parts of northern Italy, with its own special prayers, vestments and type of chant, is one of the most ancient, dating back at least to the fourth century. Not to speak of the many Eastern Catholic Churches in full communion with Rome, which share a rich liturgical heritage with Eastern Orthodoxy.”

Continued- http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=34702

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My Priest has compared me to our Pope because I have such a passion for the unity of the Church. It goes without saying that he is at a unique time in our history to be the one to help fold our separated brethtren back into warm embrace of the CHurch.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My Priest has compared me to our Pope because I have such a passion for the unity of the Church. It goes without saying that he is at a unique time in our history to be the one to help fold our separated brethtren back into warm embrace of the CHurch.

That is awesome that you have such a passion for the unity of the Church. I wish I had such a passion. I do long for unity but I can't really say that I have a passion for it. What I do have a passion for, though, is the conversion of all non-Catholics to Catholicism. :) I have wanted to be a missionary for quite some time. :)

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A Wall Street Journal article written by Francis X. Rocca entitled “The Pope Lets a Thousand Liturgies Bloom” is also worth reading.

I find it interesting that while the English Mass has just been given a major overhaul so that the "English" English Mass would be the same as the Australian, American, Canadian, etc. Masses because of the importance of uniformity that there will be Anglican Catholic Masses taking place in the same towns that are completely different rites.

But hopefully this recognition and allowance of diversity will transfer positively into more acceptance of liturgical diversity among current Catholic churches.

Upvote 0