• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Pope accuses Sex abuse victims with slander?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by eastcoast_bsc, Jan 18, 2018.

1. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+7,875
    Christian
    I pose this as a question. Various stories from various news sources are running with it.

What say ye?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+6,921
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Well, we can only judge words in context. What precisely was Francis referring to, exactly, as the calumny?

That someone had done serious wrong won't free us to actually condemn them (the person themself), but only their wrong actions....

There can be wrongs in response to wrongs,
    And that suggests we need precise context for the actual thing referred to accurately.

3. Go Braves

Go Braves I miss Senator McCain

+8,898
    United States
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    What I saw yesterday was that Pope Francis had apologized to the folks in Chile for “irreparable damage” priests had inflicted on minors, saying he was pained and ashamed they'd done that. I'm interested in the OP's link.

4. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+37,175
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm trying to find a Catholic source with a transcript now.

5. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+7,875
    Christian

That is the thing that bothers me. When ever the Pope makes a statement we need a team of cryptologist to uncover the real meaning of what he actually meant. He should certainly be savvy enough to understand that words are powerful.

6. Michie

+37,175
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  7. Glaucus

Glaucus The Lay Monk

+1,340
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    This is so typical, sadly.

8. Michie

+37,175
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Michie

+37,175
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    *dp*

10. AvilaSurfer

AvilaSurfer Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,589
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    “Several news sources” = One (usually unreliable) source followed by 20-30 places that are good at cut n paste.
    I’d put money on this being false.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. kepha31

kepha31 Regular Member

+584
    Catholic
    In Relationship
  12. AvilaSurfer

+4,589
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    The OP should have contained a link. A reliable Catholic link. Otherwise it’s just garbage. It’s irresponsible.

13. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+7,875
    Christian

Look news sources are acceptable as sources. Catholic links are certainly open to scrutiny. Think sex abuse scandal.

14. joshua 1 9

joshua 1 9 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,544
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    A congregation of bishops has vetted Barros and found no “objective reason” to stop his appointment. What evidence do you have that would suggest the pope should question the vetting process in this situation? There does not seem to be any objective evidence to substantiate the claims made against the bishop in this case. People have a right to their opinion but it would appear the church is based on objective reason and not subjective or what is unsubstantiated.

15. AvilaSurfer

+4,589
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Look, the fact is your OP has no source. My statement stands. Trash the pope if you want. It’s irresponsible.

16. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,915
    Catholic
    Single
    why do you think this?
    he has always been careless with words
    why do you think he would come to understand this now?