Pope accuses Sex abuse victims with slander?

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I pose this as a question. Various stories from various news sources are running with it.

What say ye?

SANTIAGO, Chile – Pope Francis is accusing victims of Chile's most notorious pedophile of slander, in an astonishing end to a visit that was meant to help heal the wounds of a sex abuse scandal that has cost the Catholic Church its credibility in the country.

Francis said Thursday that until he sees proof that Bishop Juan Barros was complicit in covering up the sex crimes of the Rev. Fernando Karadimas, such accusations against Barros are "all calumny."

The pope's remarks drew shock from Chileans and immediate rebuke from victims and their advocates. They noted the accusers were deemed credible enough by the Vatican that it sentenced Karadima to a lifetime of "penance and prayer" for his crimes in 2011. A Chilean judge also found the victims to be credible.

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, we can only judge words in context. What precisely was Francis referring to, exactly, as the calumny?

That someone had done serious wrong won't free us to actually condemn them (the person themself), but only their wrong actions....

There can be wrongs in response to wrongs,
And that suggests we need precise context for the actual thing referred to accurately.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
What I saw yesterday was that Pope Francis had apologized to the folks in Chile for “irreparable damage” priests had inflicted on minors, saying he was pained and ashamed they'd done that. I'm interested in the OP's link.

• Useful
Reactions: anjelica
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,651,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I saw yesterday was that Pope Francis had apologized to the folks in Chile for “irreparable damage” priests had inflicted on minors, saying he was pained and ashamed they'd done that. I'm interested in the OP's link.
I'm trying to find a Catholic source with a transcript now.

• Useful
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Well, we can only judge words in context. What precisely was Francis referring to, exactly, as the calumny?

That someone had done serious wrong won't free us to actually condemn them (the person themself), but only their wrong actions....

There can be wrongs in response to wrongs,
And that suggests we need precise context for the actual thing referred to accurately.

That is the thing that bothers me. When ever the Pope makes a statement we need a team of cryptologist to uncover the real meaning of what he actually meant. He should certainly be savvy enough to understand that words are powerful.

• Agree
Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
pope-thats-not-what-i-said-pn.jpg

Controversial bishops in Chile deny sex abuse cover-up

good background resource:
https://www.catholicleague.org/shining-the-light-on-spotlight/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
“Several news sources” = One (usually unreliable) source followed by 20-30 places that are good at cut n paste.
I’d put money on this being false.
The OP should have contained a link. A reliable Catholic link. Otherwise it’s just garbage. It’s irresponsible.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I pose this as a question. Various stories from various news sources are running with it.

What say ye?
A congregation of bishops has vetted Barros and found no “objective reason” to stop his appointment. What evidence do you have that would suggest the pope should question the vetting process in this situation? There does not seem to be any objective evidence to substantiate the claims made against the bishop in this case. People have a right to their opinion but it would appear the church is based on objective reason and not subjective or what is unsubstantiated.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Look news sources are acceptable as sources. Catholic links are certainly open to scrutiny. Think sex abuse scandal.
Look, the fact is your OP has no source. My statement stands. Trash the pope if you want. It’s irresponsible.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
He should certainly be savvy enough to understand that words are powerful.

why do you think this?
he has always been careless with words
why do you think he would come to understand this now?

Upvote 0