Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
.....as I intend to increase my charitable contributions with some of my tax savings. (Is this a bit cynical on my part........am I trolling? Mmmmmm.) :scratch:

Last edited:

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
.....as I intend to increase my charitable contributions with some of my tax savings. (Is this a bit cynical on my part........am I trolling? Mmmmmm.) :scratch:

Charity alone isn't enough, unfortunately. If charity was enough then there wouldn't be starvation, or people die due to lack of basic medical provisions or water in the world. It could be solved within a generation and that's a very generous time frame.

The wealth is there, the will is not.

Good for you for being more charitable, but taxes and proper oversight are the best way to reach the needy. Proper oversight has been lacking in most countries and the U.S. is no exception, so I don't see how this will end up helping the needy when it's likely to compound the problem.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Charity alone isn't enough, unfortunately. If charity was enough then there wouldn't be starvation, or people die due to lack of basic medical provisions or water in the world. It could be solved within a generation and that's a very generous time frame.

The wealth is there, the will is not.

Good for you for being more charitable, but taxes and proper oversight are the best way to reach the needy. Proper oversight has been lacking in most countries and the U.S. is no exception, so I don't see how this will end up helping the needy when it's likely to compound the problem.

Global poverty is a much bigger problem than we can deal with at this time. We're stretched pretty thin.

I think there are enough resources presently dedicated to programs for the poor here. However they are being badly mismanaged; edifices for the managers, cardboard boxes for their clients. What is needed is a better system, and the poor have to buy in to it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God bless you, OldWiseGuy. I will also increase my giving to the poor next year. Maybe we can get a few more to join us?

Charitable giving usually rises with an improving economy, so I am hopeful. Americans are a compassionate and generous people, if we are not too offended by our government.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Poor will be helped by tax bill........

The very wealthy will be helped a lot more.

If you itemize, that's about the only deduction that's not being cut. Cynical would be if you're in a lower bracket next year, and make your 2018 charitable contributions by Dec. 31 of this year. That way you will realize a bigger tax saving than if you make it next year.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The very wealthy will be helped a lot more.

If you itemize, that's about the only deduction that's not being cut. Cynical would be if you're in a lower bracket next year, and make your 2018 charitable contributions by Dec. 31 of this year. That way you will realize a bigger tax saving than if you make it next year.

I meant cynical by knowing that it wouldn't actually help the poor. I don't itemize anymore, but I used to double up on tithes so I could get a bigger deduction.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Trump/Republican tax cut bill for the rich is based on a thoroughly discredited economic theory known as Trickle-down Economics --- the principle that the poor, who must subsist on table scraps dropped by the rich, can best be served by giving the rich bigger meals.

I am reminded of an astute quote from Winston Churchill: "The Americans will always do the right thing ---- after all other possibilities have been tried and found wanting".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Global poverty is a much bigger problem than we can deal with at this time. We're stretched pretty thin.

World hunger could be prevented for roughly what the U.S. spends on defence in 36 hours.

That's the U.S. alone. As I said, the wealth is there, the will is not.

That's millions of children under 5 that could be saved each year and for an amount of money we wouldn't even know was missing.

It's sad, really, especially when elections are won and lost over things like abortion but as soon as it comes to losing a bit of our own money, well, that's where morality ends for most people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Sounds positively Dickensian. The paltry sum you give to the poor will be worthy of little thanks after they've lost a sizeable chunk of government-funded services.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
World hunger could be prevented for roughly what the U.S. spends on defence in 36 hours.

That's the U.S. alone. As I said, the wealth is there, the will is not.

That's millions of children under 5 that could be saved each year and for an amount of money we wouldn't even know was missing.

It's sad, really, especially when elections are won and lost over things like abortion but as soon as it comes to losing a bit of our own money, well, that's where morality ends for most people.

If we can only stop those corrupt governments and those pesky rebels from stealing our food aid.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Trump/Republican tax cut bill for the rich is based on a thoroughly discredited economic theory known as Trickle-down Economics --- the principle that the poor, who must subsist on table scraps dropped by the rich, can best be served by giving the rich bigger meals.

I am reminded od an astute quote from Winston Churchill: "The Americans will always do the right thing ---- after all other possibilities have been tried and found wanting".

The purpose of "trickle down" ("supply side") economics was to stimulate growth, not maintain the malaise of a stagnant economy. Towns and cities that lose their "fat cats" soon dry up economically. Where the fat cats are there is money to be made by everyone who is prepared to work. So economic growth is due to supply side (trickle down) economics.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you think you will give a lot. But when it's all done. I'm guessing you will give very little.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you think you will give a lot. But when it's all done. I'm guessing you will give very little.

I used to give much more but have cut back in recent years as I prepare for retirement. I also don't give strictly for the poor. I give to a veteran's group, an environmental group, a medical charity group; whose clients aren't necessarily poor. Of course my biggest contributions have been for the preaching and publishing of the gospel (teach a man to fish, etc.).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The (metaphorical) irony is that poor people generally eat more than rich people. Rich people generally have healthier diets than the poor. The poor often eat more fatty and starchy foods, which leads to obesity, lethargy, and various health problems.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds positively Dickensian. The paltry sum you give to the poor will be worthy of little thanks after they've lost a sizeable chunk of government-funded services.

Or maybe they will be very grateful for whatever charity they get.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,455.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Or maybe they will be very grateful for whatever charity they get.
Pro-Tip: if you keep them starving, they will be even more gratefull for even less.

Upvote 0