Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Pompeo refuses to defend Yovanovitch then swears at a reporter after being confronted over Ukraine:

Pompeo Won't Say Whether He Owes Yovanovitch An Apology. 'I've Done What's Right'

Pompeo berated, cursed at NPR reporter over Ukraine questions, she says

Immediately after the questions on Ukraine, the interview concluded. Pompeo stood, leaned in and silently glared at Kelly for several seconds before leaving the room.

A few moments later, an aide asked Kelly to follow her into Pompeo's private living room at the State Department without a recorder. The aide did not say the ensuing exchange would be off the record.

Inside the room, Pompeo shouted his displeasure at being questioned about Ukraine. He used repeated expletives, according to Kelly, and asked, "Do you think Americans care about Ukraine?" He then said, "People will hear about this."

Apparently he didn’t think the reporter could find Ukraine on a map.

He was not happy to have been questioned about Ukraine. He asked, 'Do you think Americans care about Ukraine?' He used the F word in that sentence, and many others," she said.

"He asked if I could find Ukraine on a map I said, 'Yes,' he called out for his aides to bring him a map of the world with no writing, no countries marked. I pointed to Ukraine he put the map away, he said, people will hear about this, and then he turned and said he had things to do, and I thanked him again for his time and left."

Transcript of the interview:
Transcript: NPR's Full Interview With Secretary Of State Mike Pompeo

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Pompeo refuses to defend Yovanovitch then swears at a reporter after being confronted over Ukraine:

Pompeo Won't Say Whether He Owes Yovanovitch An Apology. 'I've Done What's Right'

The bare faced dishonesty is amazing. Pompeo making repeated cast iron claims and then absolutely refusing to provide any evidence whatsoever to support them.

They really have completely bought into the old adage that if you repeat a lie enough times it becomes the truth.

Huge respect to the reporter for holding his feet to the flames though. If all the press did their jobs properly like that, we wouldn’t be in this mess in the first place.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He didn't say, notice, but he implied that Kelly pointed to Bangladesh rather than Ukraine. Now Kelly not only has been reporting on global issues, but she has a degrees in government from Harvard and a Masters in European studies from Cambridge - but he wants us to believe that she doesn't know East Europe from South Asia. :rolleyes:

EPIwnZrWsAAVk81

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He didn't say, notice, but he implied that Kelly pointed to Bangladesh rather than Ukraine. Now Kelly not only has been reporting on global issues, but she has a degrees in government from Harvard and a Masters in European studies from Cambridge - but he wants us to believe that she doesn't know East Europe from South Asia. :rolleyes:

I think Kelly should challenge Pompeo to a geography bee and see who wins..... ^_^

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
....and he really issued a formal statement? .....awww, poor Mike, his ego must be hurtin...
Yep, and the man who cursed out the reporter in his private office calls the media "unhinged" - projection much?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
.....in a Saturday interview with All Things Considered, NPR President and CEO, John Lansing, also came to Kelly's defense.

"Mary Louise Kelly is one of the most respected, truthful, factual, professional and ethical journalists in the United States, and that's known by the entire press corps," Lansing told host Michel Martin. "And I stand behind her and I stand behind the NPR newsroom, and the statement from the secretary of state is blatantly false."

Lansing allowed that tensions can and do arise when journalists ask officials hard questions.

"But this goes well beyond tension — this goes towards intimidation," Lansing said. "And let me just say this: we will not be intimidated. Mary Louise Kelly won't be intimidated, and NPR won't be intimidated."

After Contentious Interview, Pompeo Publicly Accuses NPR Journalist Of Lying To Him

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Poor Mikey got his feelings hurt. Those mean old media people using his words against him.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Apparently the Washington Post has obtained the email exchange between Pompeo's aide and Mary Louise Kelly, in which she makes it perfectly clear that she's going to ask about Ukraine:

“Just wanted to touch base that we still intend to keep the interview to Iran tomorrow,” Martin wrote. “Know you just got back from Tehran so we would like to stick to Iran as the topic as opposed to jumping around. Is that something we can agree to?”

Kelly responded, “I am indeed just back from Tehran and plan to start there. Also Ukraine. And who knows what the news gods will serve up overnight. I never agree to take anything off the table.”

Martin replied, “Totally understand you want to ask other topics but just hoping . . . we can stick to that topic for a healthy portion of the interview . . . Wouldn’t want to spend the interview on questions he’s answered many times for the last several months.”

Kelly: “My plan is to start with Iran and, yes, to spend a healthy portion of the interview there. Iran has been my focus of late as well. And yes — I also would not want to waste time on questions he’s answered many times in recent months.”

Now, it's possible that he (or his aide) misunderstood her agreement on "not asking questions that have been answered many times before" to mean that she wouldn't ask about Yovanovitch, but that's a pretty rookie mistake.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...93cf0e-4071-11ea-b503-2b077c436617_story.html

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Apparently the Washington Post has obtained the email exchange between Pompeo's aide and Mary Louise Kelly, in which she makes it perfectly clear that she's going to ask about Ukraine:

Now, it's possible that he (or his aide) misunderstood her agreement on "not asking questions that have been answered many times before" to mean that she wouldn't ask about Yovanovitch, but that's a pretty rookie mistake.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...93cf0e-4071-11ea-b503-2b077c436617_story.html

Only the best people.

How to handle a gaslighter:
Kelly And Pompeo: How A Journalist Masterfully Combated Gaslighting

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
....from Bolten's book (...may explain in part why Pompeo is so touchy over Ukraine):

He writes that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said privately that there was nothing to the Trump team’s claims that then-Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch was corrupt — suggesting that this was indeed a smear campaign and that Pompeo recognized it as such, even as he didn’t defend Yovanovitch publicly.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ell-gives-gop-glimpse-its-nightmare-scenario/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker

EPIwnZrWsAAVk81
This entire administration is clown shoes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,897.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...yes, there isn't enough room on Pompeo's flight for a reporter that doesn't back down to his gaslighting and f-bombs.

This was a different reporter who works for the same organization.it was in retaliation though, imo.

Upvote 0