inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,949.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All you have to do is read the Bible story of Abraham or Jacob and see the misery that having MULTIPLE WIVES brings into a home, to KNOW that POLYGAMY was never God's plan. It brings no more happiness today than it did back then.

As Christians, if we want God's blessing on our family, we need to follow the PLAN He gave us from Creation ~ ONE MAN & ONE WOMAN
I think it would be hard for 2 or more wives, husbands or partners in a marriage/relationship. I think there is something special in what the Bible says about man and women becoming one and I don't think that can happen in polgamy.

Polygamy may bring other benefits for a while but I think this is more about physical and emotional needs/wants. There is a transcendental/spiritual aspect of a union under God which cannot be gained by the worlds idea of realtionship/marriage. When a man and women are joined in marriage this brings a deeper level of union between them in that they are no longer just I and me or we for that matter.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It never ceases to amaze me how much of the Bible many Atheists know.

From the beginning of the Bible, right at Creation, God gave Adam ONE wife, to the end of the Bible where Timothy said that the Bishop and leaders in the CHURCH should be the husbands of ONE WIFE. Yet, those who want to follow their carnal desires search high and low to find ONE VERSE that APPEARS to contradict the entire rest of the Bible! And I say APPEARS because I don't believe the Bible EVER contradicts itself. The "apparent contradictions" are our fallible human misunderstandings.
Very nice, except you did not clarify why David (and many others) having multiple wives wasn't part of God's plan.

Speaking of Adam and Eve, would a discussion of incest in Genesis be relevant?

That said, I think polygamy is wrong for many reasons, but using the Bible as justification to oppose polygamy is dicey.

Upvote 0

Vinter

Jul 17, 2021
Copenhagen
✟55,412.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, those reasons indeed, but others as well:
- sustaining two or more wives and their children requires wealth; so it is no surprise that only wealthy men (kings etc.) could afford to have more than one wife.
- commonly polygamy number-wise only happens if there is surplus of child-bearing age women; if that is not the case it can't happen
- more wives, more children cost a lot of time: if you want to be a pastor, elder or missionary for God's Kingdom, time-wise it may not be fully compatible. Maybe that is one the reasons Paul specifies 'one woman man' for elders/deacons, but we're not fully certain of that.

In the US, Europe or places like Australia it is perfectly legal to have/live with more than one woman as 'wife' in the Biblical sense; yet many countries do not allow Government recognition for the additional marriage. Other countries have legalised official polygamy but only for Muslims (Indonesia, Malaysia). In many African countries it's legal for all.

Just to be clear: I am not campaigning for polygamy; I'm just stating it is not sin in God's eyes - and there may be situations in which a man having more than one wife is a better solution than for single women to stay alone and remain childless, or rear children fatherless.

I didn't get the impression that you were campaigning for polygami. I always from the start thought your posts came from a place of knowledge and meant to be informative.

The part I have highlighted in bold. In my country by Government recognition. A man can only marry one woman. But as a christian how is is possible to have two wives in the Biblical sense if it's not possible to marry the 2nd woman leagally? Wouldn't that be wrong according to the bible?
Then that 2nd woman/wife would not realy be a wife and she could just be thrown out of the house, and no proof of divorce. Isn't that a slippery slope?

Upvote 0

Vinter

Jul 17, 2021
Copenhagen
✟55,412.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it would be hard for 2 or more wives, husbands or partners in a marriage/relationship. I think there is something special in what the Bible says about man and women becoming one and I don't think that can happen in polgamy.

Polygamy may bring other benefits for a while but I think this is more about physical and emotional needs/wants. There is a transcendental/spiritual aspect of a union under God which cannot be gained by the worlds idea of realtionship/marriage. When a man and women are joined in marriage this brings a deeper level of union between them in that they are no longer just I and me or we for that matter.

Exactly. That's what I'm hoping to optain when I meat the woman of my life and get married, that very special bond you can't get anywhere else. God willing.

But let's say the oppotunity does arise and the first wife is okay with it. It's always nice with options.

Edit. pardon me for forgetting the multiquote and making two posts in a row.

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't get the impression that you were campaigning for polygamy. I always from the start thought your posts came from a place of knowledge and meant to be informative.

The part I have highlighted in bold. In my country by Government recognition. A man can only marry one woman. But as a christian how is is possible to have two wives in the Biblical sense if it's not possible to marry the 2nd woman legally? Wouldn't that be wrong according to the bible?
Then that 2nd woman/wife would not really be a wife and she could just be thrown out of the house, and no proof of divorce. Isn't that a slippery slope?

Good point; the basic question is when is a woman really your wife in God's eyes? Does it depend on Government recognition/endorsement/certification or does it depend on what you agree to mutually? All through the Bible marriage is a private treaty - no Governments or churches were involved; and no such is therefore is necessary from God's perspective.

Having said that; of course marriage has a public significance as well because any woman that is married, is now off-limits for any other man. So it is important the rest of society knows that she is married; that is why it is good/nice to celebrate it, or to have clothing/jewelry traditions (like a wedding ring in many countries) that signal the marriage status of a woman.

I presume you live in Denmark which is a very secular society; so there it would be perfectly legal to sleep around with women that are not your wife, but it would be illegal to live with/care for women you have taken as wife with a Biblical perspective?

Just FYI; in the UK alone about 40% of the Islamic marriages are not even registered with the Government; go figure :)

To summarise: I am not against Government registered marriages, I am just arguing from a Biblical perspective marriage does not have to depend on it.

• Informative
Reactions: Vinter
Upvote 0

Vinter

Jul 17, 2021
Copenhagen
✟55,412.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good point; the basic question is when is a woman really your wife in God's eyes? Does it depend on Government recognition/endorsement/certification or does it depend on what you agree to mutually? All through the Bible marriage is a private treaty - no Governments or churches were involved; and no such is therefore is necessary from God's perspective.

Having said that; of course marriage has a public significance as well because any woman that is married, is now off-limits for any other man. So it is important the rest of society knows that she is married; that is why it is good/nice to celebrate it, or to have clothing/jewelry traditions (like a wedding ring in many countries) that signal the marriage status of a woman.

I presume you live in Denmark which is a very secular society; so there it would be perfectly legal to sleep around with women that are not your wife, but it would be illegal to live with/care for women you have taken as wife with a Biblical perspective?

Just FYI; in the UK alone about 40% of the Islamic marriages are not even registered with the Government; go figure :)

To summarise: I am not against Government registered marriages, I am just arguing from a Biblical perspective marriage does not have to depend on it.

Thanks for the information.

I live in Denmark born and raised. Yes Denmark is very secular. I can almost guarantee that if a man said he had two wifes and and he and his wifes had made a pact with god it would be frowned more upon than the houndog that sleep around with a new woman each weekend.

With that said a man that lives with more than one woman or even a woman that lives with more than one man, people will judge them, but it's not like they can get arrested for it, it's not a crime in Denmark, but morally people question this type of behaviour.

I did not know about that in the UK. There is probably alot of unregistered marriages among muslims in Denmark aswell. We have had a few of what they call honour killings as some musilm women rebel against Islamic law when they come to Denmark. So some musilms prefer to keep it among their own ranks, outside Danish juristiction.

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I live in Denmark born and raised. Yes Denmark is very secular. I can almost guarantee that if a man said he had two wifes and and he and his wifes had made a pact with god it would be frowned more upon than the houndog that sleep around with a new woman each weekend.

With that said a man that lives with more than one woman or even a woman that lives with more than one man, people will judge them, but it's not like they can get arrested for it, it's not a crime in Denmark, but morally people question this type of behaviour

Exactly, so that is not even a double standard; it's a reversed standard :) From God's perspective the guy sleeping around is at fault while the man living with, and caring for possibly two wives and their offspring commits no sin. As Christians we should call that out.

Reactions: Vinter
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a religious person. But I am pragmatic. Ancient Biblical laws and religious doctrines mean little to me unless they have practical value for modern life. My wife and I were married in 1987. And I love her dearly. But it's hard enough being married to one woman for 34 years. I can't imagine having to deal with 2, 3, or more wives. :doh:

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,985.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a religious person. But I am pragmatic. Ancient Biblical laws and religious doctrines mean little to me unless they have practical value for modern life. My wife and I were married in 1987. And I love her dearly. But it's hard enough being married to one woman for 34 years. I can't imagine having to deal with 2, 3, or more wives. :doh:

As part of a triad polycule it is certainly more communication and requires an increased commitment but I find the benefits worth the extra effort.

Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All you have to do is read the Bible story of Abraham or Jacob and see the misery that having MULTIPLE WIVES brings into a home, to KNOW that POLYGAMY was never God's plan. It brings no more happiness today than it did back then.

As Christians, if we want God's blessing on our family, we need to follow the PLAN He gave us from Creation ~ ONE MAN & ONE WOMAN

Yes, if your goal is to believe anything you want you do what all people who want to hold fast to their beliefs "as" truth do.

They …

1.) Gather whatever they can “use” to prove what they “want to believe” to be truth.

2.) Accumulate all evidence they believe proves all opposing views incorrect.

3.) Assume their beliefs are unquestionable truth, and interpret everything in such a way as to make it all support, or at least not negate, their beliefs. Think about it. If your beliefs are unquestionable truths, all “valid” data, must support … or at least not negate, your infallible beliefs, right?

4.) Reinterpret, ignore, discredit, invalidate … anything that doesn’t seem to fit with their views, Why? Our beliefs are “Fact” Valid data interpreted correctly can’t contradict the facts.

5.) Gather all the other experiences, feelings, data … to solidify their beliefs such as signs, wonders, spiritual gifts or facts about your belief group. Things like: we have a burning in the bosom, we speak in tongues, we perform signs or wonders, a statue of Mary came to life and told us our belief groups views are correct, we have prayed to God for the truth and received “feelings” or even signs from heaven. Or, on a more concrete level: Our belief group is the oldest, largest, fastest growing, wealthiest, has the most experts with doctorates… Include anything that adds assurance that your views and belief group have the most truth.

But these are the things we do "if" we just want to believe what we want to believe, and have reasons for discarding the rest. This process closes our eyes, ears and hearts to even considering anything else. And this process allows all the people from every belief group that believes themselves Christian to believe the gospel is simple, while each of them believes completely different “simple” gospels. Everyone gets what they want. And every belief group knows they love the truth and have the truth using this Methodology.

So, decide what you want to believe, gather what you can "use" to prove those things true and "use" to prove all opposing beliefs false, and interpret your selected data in the light of the beliefs you so love. But no one gets to truth this way. At best you will harden yourself into what you "want to believe".

Here's the problem. As other people have stated, polygamy was practiced all the way through the bible. Historians of the day said the practice was everywhere. If the Genesis passage, "For this reason..." was a command of God, everyone including God the Father missed it. Jer. 3:6-11, Eze. 23:1-30 ... Note, the modern definition of adultery is not God's. David already had 7 wives BEFORE he committed adultery, and took at least 10 more afterwards. When was Solomon accused of adultery. God says His wives committed adultery against Him. Are you accusing God of not knowing His own will? Are you accusing God of sin?

But what about Jesus command to only have one wife?

The Passage in Question

Mat 19:3 Some Pharisees came to Jesus, testing Him and asking, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any reason at all?" 4 And He answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE, 5 and said, 'FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH'? 6 "So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate." 7 They *said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE AND SEND her AWAY?" 8 He *said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way. 9 "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery." 10 The disciples *said to Him, "If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry."

Context: The Law the Pharisees are Questioning:

Deu 24:1 "When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out from his house, 2 and she leaves his house and goes and becomes another man's wife, 3 and if the latter husband turns against her and writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, or if the latter husband dies who took her to be his wife, 4 then her former husband who sent her away is not allowed to take her again to be his wife, since she has been defiled; for that is an abomination before the LORD, and you shall not bring sin on the land which the LORD your God gives you as an inheritance.

For background as to what God really did command regarding marriage, read: Ex. 21:10, Lev. 18:5-23, Lev. 20:10-21, Deu 21:15-17, Deu. 25:5-6, Isa 4:1, Jer. 31:32.

And, from a Jewish perspective you were not officially married until you became one flesh. Then the marriage is "consummated". So Solomon was "married" and had sex with about 1000 women. He did sin, but it wasn't the number, it was that he took foreign wives. The biblical family, including for God the Father, is a husband, all his wives, and all the kids by all those wives. Which explains how popular polygamy was in Jesus day.

So let's look at Jesus reply to the "Can I divorce any of my wives for any reason at all. 4 And He answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE, 5 and said, 'FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH'? 6 "So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."

If Jesus is saying God only intended monogamy and that is the only valid God approved marriage, what happens? Mass chaos. Well, I am the second born son, but of my father's first wife. His second wife had a son before her. Does this mean that I can kick my elder brother to the curb and claim his inheritance? From the divorce standpoint, if it is only the first wife that is approved by God, do I have to kick all my other wives to the curb? Their kids as well? Are you saying that I cannot divorce my first wife, but I can do so with every other wife? Jesus is descended from Solomon. From David's 8th wife? If that is invalid, what about Jesus kingship?

In a society where polygamy is not unusual, and where everyone including God practices it, if Jesus was making such a claim reversing all the O.T. laws and creating a meaning for that Genesis verse no one before Jesus at this moment is claiming all kinds of questions present themselves and it would have disrupted society of that day from the top to the bottom.

BUT ... if Jesus is saying, if you had sex with them God considers you joined, whether you have one wife or twenty-two wives, then their response to Jesus statement makes sense. 10 The disciples *said to Him, "If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry."

If your goal is to believe what you want whether it accuses God of sin, or of not knowing His own will or not, have at it.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

Interestingly, almost all of Christianity allows marriage. Even Roman Catholic priests can marry. they must just give up some of their rights to practice some sacraments. These are the end times. What almost all groups within Christianity forbid is polygamy. Just about everyone forbids a man from taking a second wife.

I get it. If your goal is to hold fast to a belief, no amount of biblical truth, context, logic, reason will ever convince you otherwise. As far as trouble with multiple wives. Yes. Even with one you will have trouble. With more than one you will have heaps of trouble.

1Co 7:28 But if you marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Yet such will have trouble in this life, and I am trying to spare you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It never ceases to amaze me how much of the Bible many Atheists know.

As Isaac Asimov once said:

Isaac Asimov said:
Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.

Many a Christian has lost faith after seeking greater understanding through a deep reading of the Bible.

I, on the other hand, was a Catholic, so I've only read about 50 pages or so all after leaving the Church. I found it rather dull and uninteresting.

• Haha
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Many a Christian has lost faith after seeking greater understanding through a deep reading of the Bible.

I, on the other hand, was a Catholic, so I've only read about 50 pages or so all after leaving the Church. I found it rather dull and uninteresting.

As an evangelical Atheist, I had dozens of passages memorized and even delved into Greek and Hebrew meanings to use against them. I gathered over 10,000 errors from the bible including things like Jesus claiming that just like Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish (I gave them this one as it was just a descriptive term) so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." Since the penalty for being off, even to the slightest degree, in a prophesy is being stoned to death, Jesus shouldn't have been crucified but stoned. How do you get three days and three nights out of Friday night, Saturday day, and a part of Saturday night. The women showed up "before dawn" and he was already gone.

Of course I received good answers for almost all of these, the two accounts of Judas death, the number of angels at the tomb, Paul's conversion experience ... all but about 120 or so have logical, reasonable rational explanations ... if you "keep on continuously proving all things over and over again and always hold fast to what is good/true."

It amazes me the number of people who believe themselves to be Christians who read the bible all the time, and never do what God commands them to be doing with it at all. There is no command to read anywhere. Sure you will do that to bind it on your heart. Sure, that is a part of the process of being a manual laborer laboring day after day to cut-straight all that the word of God has to say on every possible topic to get to the truth and become mature because of practice in the word to the point where they can tell the real difference between what is good and what isn't. And even more "reading" will need to be done to get to the fullness of the will of God Himself to the point where you can tell the difference between what is good from what is merely acceptable, from what is perfect.

But then I guess it is quite true ... why do you call Me Lord, Lord when you do not do as I say. If you love Me you will keep My commandments. Again, there isn't a single command to read. "Many will say to me Lord, Lord ... and I will say depart from Me ye who work iniquity for I never knew you." That's the same "many" on the broad path that leads to destruction mentioned earlier. It is only those on the "to groan" it's so narrow path that are the true Christians. Amazingly, there isn't a single group that believes Mat. 7 applies to them, and every group believes it true of every other group that doesn't hold to the same core beliefs they do.

Paul compared those who would be deceived in the end times and those who received faith in the truth to the same standard making the following passage a timeless truth:

2Th 2:10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11 For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness. 13 But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

And every belief group on the planet, from the Atheists, like I used to be, to the Mormons, Jews, Roman Catholics, Baptists ... all do the exact same things to hold fast to everything they "want to believe" "as" truth.

They …

1.) Gather whatever they can “use” to prove what they “want to believe” to be truth.

2.) Accumulate all evidence they believe proves all opposing views incorrect.

3.) Assume their beliefs are unquestionable truth, and interpret everything in such a way as to make it all support, or at least not negate, their beliefs. Think about it. If your beliefs are unquestionable truths, all “valid” data, must support … or at least not negate, your infallible beliefs, right?

4.) Reinterpret, ignore, discredit, invalidate … anything that doesn’t seem to fit with their views, Why? Our beliefs are “Fact” Valid data interpreted correctly can’t contradict the facts.

5.) Gather all the other experiences, feelings, data … to solidify their beliefs such as signs, wonders, spiritual gifts or facts about your belief group. Things like: we have a burning in the bosom, we speak in tongues, we perform signs or wonders, a statue of Mary came to life and told us our belief groups views are correct, we have prayed to God for the truth and received “feelings” or even signs from heaven. Or, on a more concrete level: Our belief group is the oldest, largest, fastest growing, wealthiest, has the most experts with doctorates… Include anything that adds assurance that your views and belief group have the most truth.

But these are the things we do "if" we just want to believe what we want to believe, and have reasons for discarding the rest. This process closes our eyes, ears and hearts to even considering anything else. And this process allows all the people from every belief group that believes themselves Christian to believe the gospel is simple, while each of them believes completely different “simple” gospels. Everyone gets what they want. And every belief group knows they love the truth and have the truth using this Methodology.

this is what the lost Jews did in Romans 10:1-3, Atheists are in Romans 1:18-32, people who believe Jesus is their Lord, God and Savior who are doing exactly what the true Christians if their day did but are lost and headed for hell are found in Mat. 7. All of them close their eyes and ears to even considering anything else? Why? Who would ever want to exchange the unquestionable truth's of their beliefs for lies. And by definition, for every belief group, their beliefs are fact, and everything opposing is, by definition, a lie.

But that is the nature of doing the 5 things above and not doing as God commands. And 2Th. 2:10-13 explains all the signs, wonders, casting out of demons ... that the lost people who believe in Jesus do as well. God gives everyone exactly what they want.

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

When you keep reading the Bible with traditional 'inerrancy' glasses, while also trying to approach the texts from a rational point of view, AND also ignoring or not seeing any evidence of God and Jesus intervening in our day and world; then yes, one may quickly become disillusioned with Christianity and think it's all nonsense.

Luckily in my case, I didn't do that, and so by investigating, thinking, and being amazed by God's acts in this era, I kept and even grew my faith. There is hope :)

• Agree
Reactions: BriarRose_
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
When you keep reading the Bible with traditional 'inerrancy' glasses, while also trying to approach the texts from a rational point of view, AND also ignoring or not seeing any evidence of God and Jesus intervening in our day and world; then yes, one may quickly become disillusioned with Christianity and think it's all nonsense.

Why would I have thought of the bible as "inerrant"? I never thought that.

Luckily in my case, I didn't do that, and so by investigating, thinking, and being amazed by God's acts in this era, I kept and even grew my faith. There is hope :)

Part of the reason I don't believe is that I've never seen any evidence of god acting in modern times.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God required polygamy only in those circumstances that a widow would have been left without support. Even by the first century, Jews had noted that all other circumstances of polygamy in the scriptures resulted in lifelong unhappiness for men if not outright disaster.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’m realistic enough to acknowledge my unwillingness to share. Whether it was permissible legally or biblically. I have no interest in sharing my space or life with another woman. And in many cases there are sexual compromises. Including acts many refrain from mentioning.

Poly requires selflessness. I don’t like anyone enough to go that far.

~bella

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am sure some people can find happiness in such relationships. Really depends on your chemical makeup. Not everyone is the same and out of the billions and billions of humans that have existed not everyone is going to fit into the same peg.

I personally prefer monogamy although I admit this preference may be more cultural than biological. Being one man with multiple woman has it's appeals but I do not think I'd go out of my way to get into such a relationship. Being in a relationship where other men are involved in some manner is a definite no. I am well acquainted with the emotion of jealousy.

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why would I have thought of the bible as "inerrant"? I never thought that.

Part of the reason I don't believe is that I've never seen any evidence of god acting in modern times.

For that I would recommend watching some personal testimonies from people in the 20-21st century who experienced God's intervention in their lives directly; if you're interested I can collect a few URLs for that? Just say the word :)

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God required polygamy only in those circumstances that a widow would have been left without support. Even by the first century, Jews had noted that all other circumstances of polygamy in the scriptures resulted in lifelong unhappiness for men if not outright disaster.

It's certainly true that God required possible polygamy in cases of the Levirate marriage (Deuteronomy 25:5-10); as the marriage status of the man was not relevant to the instruction.

However IMHO we can't really state ALL other circumstances of polygamy in scriptures resulted in lifelong unhappiness/disaster for men (or women); a single proof of that is found in King Joash, one of those rare good kings in the OT:

2 Chronicles 24:1-3
Joash was seven years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Zibiah of Beersheba. And Joash did what was right in the eyes of the Lord all the days of Jehoiada the priest. Jehoiada got for him two wives, and he had sons and daughters.
I recommend reading the whole story on King Joash; it's fascinating. What makes it very interesting is that it is the remarkably righteous priest Jehoiada, who is responsible for turning around the country's mess, himself selects the two wives for this good king; and hence the blessing: he had sons and daughters. Jehoiada is the good guy here; the instrument of blessing - and precisely he's the one to pick King Joash's two wives. Let that sink in for a moment ... :)

Of course I'm not denying the situations of jealousy that arose in the lives of e.g. Abraham and Jacob, but that doesn't mean the whole concept of polygamy is sinful/bad.

How many monogamous marriages (even among Christians) fail these days? Does that mean that monogamy is sinful or bad?

Personally I have heard about e.g. Christian African women begging to become 2nd wives, simply because it would make life for them so much easier (similar to the the Levirate situation).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m realistic enough to acknowledge my unwillingness to share. Whether it was permissible legally or biblically. I have no interest in sharing my space or life with another woman. And in many cases there are sexual compromises. Including acts many refrain from mentioning.

Poly requires selflessness. I don’t like anyone enough to go that far.

~bella

Your very open and honest comment is appreciated although I would like to emphasise the Biblical model for polygamy is not really about sharing your life or space with another woman. It's only about sharing your husband with (an)other woman/women.

In the OT we clearly find the rule that the taking of an additional wife by a man should not diminish the food, clothing and sex for the first/previous wife. Also in other situations we get the clear sense each wife had her own tent, cared for her own children, etc. They had their own 'household' so to speak; which is kind of necessary as a woman usually is the homemaker; she needs her own space.

E.g. in Africa where among Christians polygamy still is not uncommon; wives rarely share their living space; mostly they have their own living quarters or even their own house.

The selflessness though is for all of us; a hard one sometimes I confess.

Last edited:
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0