• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Polygamists still go to jail in Utah. A new state law may end that.

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by redleghunter, Feb 21, 2020.

1. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+32,872
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    SALT LAKE CITY – Polygamists have lived in Utah since before it became a state. Eighty-five years after plural marriage was declared a felony, they still number in the thousands and have even been featured in the long-running reality TV show, “Sister Wives.”

Now, a state lawmaker says it’s time to remove the threat of jail time for otherwise law-abiding polygamists.

“The law is a failure. It hasn’t stopped polygamy at all and it’s actually enabled abuse to occur and remain unchecked,” said Sen. Deidre Henderson, a Republican. Her proposal to make bigamy an infraction rather than a felony has gathered significant support. It was unanimously approved by a legislative panel Monday, despite resistance from former members of polygamous groups who said it could embolden abusers.

The estimated 30,000 people living in Utah’s polygamous communities believe plural marriage brings exaltation in heaven – a legacy of the early Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The mainstream faith abandoned the practice in 1890 under pressure from the U.S. government and now strictly forbids it.

In Utah:Mormon doctrine leaves potential for 'eternal polygamy'

Unlike other states, Utah outlaws living with a second “spiritual spouse” even if the man is legally married to just one woman.

More at the link: Polygamy: Utah's proposed law could end threat of jail time for many

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmenianJohn

ArmenianJohn Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist

+2,959
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I can't think of why it should be illegal to begin with

3. redleghunter

+32,872
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You support polygamy laws?

4. ArmenianJohn

+2,959
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I don't see why it should be criminal or even illegal. Is that "supporting polygamy laws"??? If so, then yes. Why shouldn't I?

5. solid_core

solid_core Well-Known Member

+775
    Austria
    Protestant
    Single
    Its culturally unacceptable, like incest or marrying children.

And because in our culture basic laws are based on moral values (do not steal, do not murder), the criminalization of such behavior is a conclusion.

The question is, in such case, why adultery or sex before marriage is not illegal. Probably because of some hypocricy of the society.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  6. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+4,169
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    I cannot think of a good reason to imprison someone for marrying more than one person. I don't see how the government has any legitimate interest in punishing a person for their personal relationship choices. The again I don't see any reasonable argument leading me to think that the government ought to be involved in marriage of any kind at all.

7. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+4,169
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    What moral value would criminalizing polygamy be upholding? Adultery , no as all parties are married and no one is cheating. Sex before marriage, no the sex partners are married. I understand why incest and marrying children would be criminal acts. there are real issues both medical and moral with close relatives procreating and with minors not being capable of making grown up choices but multiple mature adults voluntarily entering into a marriage relationship is a much different thing. Refusing to officially recognize and legitimize that sort of relationship I can understand but making it punishable by jail time seems unreasonable.

8. HannahT

HannahT Newbie Supporter

+2,012
    Christian
    Married
    I think we would need to see the details. I would not want to embolden people to just leave their families and go marry someone else just because. Otherwise, they need to look at why this was put into law in the first place - and then maybe switch it around a bit. I don't want to embolden cults (Warren Jeffs), but the average family shouldn't be in hiding either for their beliefs.

9. redleghunter

+32,872
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It’s Utah.

10. redleghunter

+32,872
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So you support, as a Christian, laws which men can have multiple wives?

11. ArmenianJohn

+2,959
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    We already do. Don't you support laws that allow divorcees to remarry? How is that different?

I support laws that allow people freedom. We aren't supposed to convert by the sword - you have the wrong religion. You may want to look into Islam if that's what you want. Saudi Arabia would be more in line with the way you want laws made.

12. ArmenianJohn

+2,959
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    What is the reason "why this was put into law in the first place"? Only reason I can think of is tradition and that based on religious tradition.

If we are going to legislate by Christian religious tradition and morality then we should make it illegal to remarry after a divorce, but nobody is complaining about that. That's polygamy, according to Christianity.

13. HannahT

HannahT Newbie Supporter

+2,012
    Christian
    Married
    My statement had nothing to do with Christian Religious tradition. There is polygamy in the bible. I guess some could call remarriage within the Christian community polygamy, but I don't know to many who believe that.

If you look into the history of why this was put in place you can get a handle on how to change it to apply to modern times. The Mormons were the ones known for this practice, and they moved to Utah - for example - to be able to practice this part of their faith (along with other items of course). Then there was a split within the Mormon faith, and most dropped the polygamy portion of it. Was it put into law to target those that wanted to continue to practice it? I have no idea. Did they put this into law, because it abused the women and children of the time? Remember they had next to no rights in this time of history.

14. ArmenianJohn

+2,959
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Polygamy is illegal in the entire US, not just Utah. Even if it were used to punish the Mormons in Utah that doesn't explain why it was illegal in the rest of the US prior and after that point in history. So I am not sure how looking at the "reason" behind anti-polygamy laws would shed any light.

15. redleghunter

+32,872
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    So every state should revoke their polygamy laws?

16. ArmenianJohn

+2,959
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Every state should be consistent. Either revoke the polygamy laws or introduce laws that make ALL forms of polygamy (or marriage that goes against God's intention) illegal, such as divorcees remarrying or common-law marriages that were never done as part of a Church Sacrament.

Are you saying you support people divorcing and remarrying? Our polygamist president is a good example - he gets tired of his aging wife, starts an affair with a younger woman then marries the younger one; rinse, repeat. You support that, as a Christian?