✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Another red herring.

Neither the OP nor did I make such a claim. Perhaps read the article title and article again and respond to it.
If you can't define it and you aren't dictating the terms of marriage to others on... What exactly are you complaining about?

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree. Not sure why the LGBT group wanted to go to a church to get married anyway... not like they agree with what it stands for and on... Why the fight... Just go to the JP and be done... stop coming to church and then saying that they are not giving you the rights of marriage... there are plenty of other places to go and achieve what you are looking for...
for the most part they don't go to their church to get married. The exception would be if they knew they are welcome in the congregations.

When my best friend got married in 2017 he was asked if they woudl be using their church for the wedding ceremony. He corrected them noting that he is not and never woudl be a member of his childhood church and has not set foot inside it outside of weddings and a couple funerals. He did say that a good number of that congregation has threaten his life, his husband's life and the lives of their children. He named off two dozen members who have screamed obscenities at his children. He asked the individuals why would he solemnize and celebrate his love and family such a place.

I think that is a very good question.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Did anyone bring up the Bible's position on marriage in Genesis 2:24 and Ephesians 5:20-33? The pattern of one man and one wife is the ideal marriage relationship. Anything else is a violation of God's principle in those passages and others.
maybe they were busy reading Deuteronomy 21:1-17 and Deuteronomy 25:5-12 and Deuteronomy 21:15

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Your 2 cents.

He isn't a spouse if he doesn't fit the definition of one - per the theology that I follow. That is between him and God though.
i wonder if he considers you a friend at all.

If you were to deny my years of marriage to my late wife because our marriage didn't fit your definition i can't imagine wanting to have anything to do with you

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There are many examples of men with many wives in the bible.. However, I don't think that this was the plan for most common folk... or anyone for that matter..

Polygamy as practiced in the Old Testament was very different than the polyamory spoken of in the article in the OP.

• Informative
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's because this is yet another example of a smaller issue taking eyes away from much bigger issues.

I've never understood the preoccupation with what goes on behind the bedroom door. It is spoken about far more often with far more urgency than other issues, like obesity/gluttony.

So my point and question is why do people labour so fervently to highlight an issue that encompasses 4.5% of the U.S. population when there's another sin that encompasses 21% of the U.S. population?

My guess is that it's easier to point the finger at other sins as a means of deflecting from our own. And in terms of obesity/gluttony, it's become so commonplace that most people don't consider it a sin at all.

That is a massive problem that needs addressing. Because those that sit there wagging their finger at homosexuals or non-traditional marriage arrangements whilst obese themselves, well, they are destined for the same fate as those they're condemning, yet no one wants to raise the subject.
Kids raised in stable homes with one Mom and Dad are much less likely to be obeise or have eating disorders.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Kids raised in stable homes with one Mom and Dad are much less likely to be obeise or have eating disorders.
given the lower income levels of single parent homes and the cost of differential of food that is hardly suprising

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

The advantage runs across the board. Children of single mothers have a higher mortality rate of married mothers. The welfare state can’t completely suppress natural selection.

• Informative
Reactions: KarateCowboy
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's important to them to force you to like them anywhere and everywhere, including your church.
You may be right.. Maybe we need to let them know that we always love them... just that we don't accept their view about marriage and they can go to the JP to get married... They are human, we are all sinners.. but we are not changing the foundation of the church to show them that they are loved..

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
for the most part they don't go to their church to get married. The exception would be if they knew they are welcome in the congregations.

When my best friend got married in 2017 he was asked if they woudl be using their church for the wedding ceremony. He corrected them noting that he is not and never woudl be a member of his childhood church and has not set foot inside it outside of weddings and a couple funerals. He did say that a good number of that congregation has threaten his life, his husband's life and the lives of their children. He named off two dozen members who have screamed obscenities at his children. He asked the individuals why would he solemnize and celebrate his love and family such a place.

I think that is a very good question.
Your friend may not want to get married in a church... However, many of them are pushing for the churches to marry them... They want to force the churches to go against their standard biblical stance... Churches stand to lose their charitable status if they deny these people of something from an institution that they don't even agree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Not to mention that a family that shares at least 5 meals together a week... has a much higher chance of having great results as well adjusted children in school, society and communities.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Your friend may not want to get married in a church... However, many of them are pushing for the churches to marry them... They want to force the churches to go against their standard biblical stance... Churches stand to lose their charitable status if they deny these people of something from an institution that they don't even agree with.
Bull.
No one can force a priest/minister to perform a wedding. Churches are not businesses or places of public accommodating and as such are not bound by anti-discrimination laws. This is why every so often you hear about some minister resigned to marry an interracial couple. ministers are free to refuse to marry interracial couples or any other couple they care to and it is perfectly legal.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i wonder if he considers you a friend at all.

If you were to deny my years of marriage to my late wife because our marriage didn't fit your definition i can't imagine wanting to have anything to do with you

Your two cents again. And yes, we do both consider each other friends! :) Thanks so much!

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sure I guess you don’t nor do I.

The article is about how pastors should address and inform their churches on such relationships.

So this is not about our opinions but how the church community deals with sin.

Pastors should cast those in open sexual sin out of the church after an admonishment to cease and desist fails, as the Bible states clearly.

I'm personally unsure where the issue is with not understanding this. I'm fairly certain the only confusion lies with those who don't follow the Bible anyway.

The church has an injunction to preserve the holiness of the church (not the world, but the church)... it can't be a light to the world without holiness.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may be right.. Maybe we need to let them know that we always love them... just that we don't accept their view about marriage and they can go to the JP to get married... They are human, we are all sinners.. but we are not changing the foundation of the church to show them that they are loved..
This right here is the right answer. Churches can uphold the Righteousness of God and also love neighbor even when at odds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bull.
No one can force a priest/minister to perform a wedding. Churches are not businesses or places of public accommodating and as such are not bound by anti-discrimination laws. This is why every so often you hear about some minister resigned to marry an interracial couple. ministers are free to refuse to marry interracial couples or any other couple they care to and it is perfectly legal.
Why are you conflating multiethnic marriages with homosexual unions?

The former is not forbidden by Scripture or the life and history of the Christian Church. The latter is not Biblical nor historic in the life of the church.

Are you seeking a common attribute between homosexual unions and multiethnic marriages?

If so, then it has to do with churches incorporating human societal “norms” and not an interpretation of the Scriptures.

When churches in the West advocated for the separation of race or ethnic marriages, they operated not from Scriptures or church tradition or history, but reacted to societal norms. In the case of interracial or multiethnic marriages forbidden or frowned upon that was the sin of slavery and segregation. This came from white Americans seeing Black slaves as subhuman and not morally equal persons. You can’t find support for that from Holy Scriptures nor an ancient church tradition. Why? Because there were few to none “White” Christians in the early church.

The same could be said within this model for homosexual unions. There are clear Scriptural and church historic teachings condemning any marriage within the life of the church which are not of one man and one woman. Therefore the flip side of the coin is at work in Christian churches incorporating homosexual unions as marriages in the life of their church. This is accepting sin to meet human societal norms or changes.

This is the framework we need to work with. Not try to compare everything as if everything is comparable. Thus the false premise of your post.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Bull.
Bull? Really?

O’Rourke says churches against gay marriage should lose tax benefits, draws backlash

It's coming...

I agree, churches are business and should be protected by freedom of religion, in both Canada and the US... however.... The LGBTQ is strong and the Christian religions are the only ones that you can discriminate against.

An example of this is the shout of "homophobic" to anyone that speaks against the LGBTQ.. yet in the same breath they shout "Islamophomia" if you speak out against anything Muslim...

Meanwhile.. Islam absolutely does not stand for homosexuals...

Go figure... How do you square that circle... Two hugely different directions of thought... both of which will draw the wrath of people who support them toward anyone speaking against either.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
given the lower income levels of single parent homes and the cost of differential of food that is hardly suprising
It has more to do with stable family life and having a mom and dad than money

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why are you conflating multiethnic marriages with homosexual unions?
Are you seeking a common attribute between homosexual unions and multiethnic marriages?
the common attribute is the hate, prejudice and discrimination and the struggle for equal rights that both faces and continue to face.

Last edited:
Upvote 0