• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Polyamory: Pastors’ Next Sexual Frontier

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by redleghunter, Feb 21, 2020.

1. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+3,457
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Note that bisexual people don't necessarily have multiple simultaneous partners, just as straight people don't necessarily have multiple simultaneous opposite-sex partners. Who you're attracted to, and how monogamous you prefer to be in relationships, are two separate questions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+12,304
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Still, if someone is attracted to both at the same time (as opposed to serially) they are out of luck at present in being able to marry who they want to. I think two years from now multiple marriages of whatever gender all at the same time will be as accepted in the culture as the idea that a woman can become a man and a man can become a woman. That's just me predicting. Check back in two years. Or less.

Not approving. Not at all. Just predicting.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  3. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+3,457
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    This is important.

Personally, I'm torn about polyamory. On the one hand, I wouldn't want to be in a polygamous relationship, and culturally I'm trained to think it's weird and yukky. On the other hand, the Old Testament is full of stories of polygamy, often without any condemnation of the practice; it seems to have been just taken for granted in some ancient cultures. So I can't say that polygamy is anti-Biblical, as much as I might like to.

So I think we come to HatGuy's point: How does polygamy work out in practice? Is it loving and life-giving for everyone in the relationship, or does it end up being repressive or harmful? I'm hearing from HatGuy that it's often harmful, as practiced in South Africa. I'd want to explore a little further: Is there protective legislation that could make the marriages better? Does it matter if polyandry is allowed in addition to polygyny? Is there a way of ensuring that everyone has given free and full consent? and so on. But if polygamy ends up hurting the people involved, even with these extra protections, then that's the reason to prohibit it.

4. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,837
    Christian
    Single
    Is that really a justification in your mind?

Do I really need to actually say, I disagree?

Don't do extramarital affairs, consensual or otherwise and there won't be any problem at all.

5. Quartermaine

Quartermaine Well-Known Member

+1,594
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    not to anyone remotely honest

^_^

do you ever read your own posts?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  6. Quartermaine

+1,594
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    if you can't muster the manners to call his spouse what he is then he's not much of a friend then

7. Tropical Wilds

Tropical Wilds Lord, beer me strength...

+1,760
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I really don’t care what Tyler, Amanda, Joe, or anybody else does in their bedroom and in their relationships.

8. Quartermaine

+1,594
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    One of the sad facts of life about polygamy involves young boys that are the result of these relationships. Generally around the age of 14 boys are thrown out of their homes and driven from the community by their father and the other adult men. the reason is competition. Adult men want to have and marry teen age girls but they have to limit the girls options of marriage to force them into it.

9. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Searching for Truth Supporter

+5,802
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    I agree. Not sure why the LGBT group wanted to go to a church to get married anyway... not like they agree with what it stands for and on... Why the fight... Just go to the JP and be done... stop coming to church and then saying that they are not giving you the rights of marriage... there are plenty of other places to go and achieve what you are looking for...

10. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Searching for Truth Supporter

+5,802
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    There are many examples of men with many wives in the bible.. However, I don't think that this was the plan for most common folk... or anyone for that matter..

There are many examples of scripture that concerns this here:

What Does the Bible Say About Marraige One Man One Woman?

This is an example:

1 Corinthians 7:2
    But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.

11. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+3,457
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Yeah, anything that involves driving out teenage boys or forcing teenage girls into marriages is out. The state has an interest in protecting teenagers of both sexes. The church should have an interest in it too, though I'm aware that polygamy is sometimes connected to religious conviction.

12. S.O.J.I.A.

S.O.J.I.A. Dynamic UNO

+2,587
    United States
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    ....it's happening.

13. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+12,304
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    It's important to them to force you to like them anywhere and everywhere, including your church.

14. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+33,602
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That’s good news you have a nurse to do this.

I can only speak of the church plant where I am a member. Vast majority military or military retired and lots of young married couples with lots of young children. The children outnumber the adults. :)

While we wait for the permanent permanent construction of our church building, we are using the local YMCA for services. Many are already members of the Y. So my church currently boasts an Olympic sized swimming pool, a full basketball court and workout room. Not to mention Zumba thrown in there. :)

15. Bruce Leiter

Bruce Leiter A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love

+504
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Did anyone bring up the Bible's position on marriage in Genesis 2:24 and Ephesians 5:20-33? The pattern of one man and one wife is the ideal marriage relationship. Anything else is a violation of God's principle in those passages and others.

16. Angeldove97

Angeldove97 In the Lord, my labor is not in vain Supporter

+2,028
    United States
    Traditional. Cath.
    Married
    US-Others
    Your 2 cents.

He isn't a spouse if he doesn't fit the definition of one - per the theology that I follow. That is between him and God though.

17. ColoRaydo

ColoRaydo Member

+168
    Lutheran
    Married
    Personally, I see this as a situation of a man with no self esteem, another man who is a manipulator, and a woman is either completely deluded or just slowly trying to get her original husband out of the picture.

There is very little chance any of these relationships will last.

If any of them are actual Christians temporarily off track, they will be convicted by the Holy Spirit to change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. redleghunter

+33,602
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Polygamy did happen in the OT. However, it was not the design of God from the beginning.

If we look at the men in the OT who had multiple wives and concubines we see that such ends up being their undoing or created strife.

19. redleghunter

+33,602
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Sure I guess you don’t nor do I.

The article is about how pastors should address and inform their churches on such relationships.

So this is not about our opinions but how the church community deals with sin.

20. redleghunter

+33,602
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Not to mention Matthew 19:4-6

But no...the first half of this thread was “whataboutism.” Like what about gluttony. But I think we have it on track now.