Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When are they going to address obesity/gluttony?

That's over 70 million (21% of adults in the U.S.) living in open sin.

By contrast, 4.5% of the population identify as LGBT.

That's a serious problem and a huge imbalance of attention and outrage.

Forget the bedroom, there are more souls lost at the dinner table and drive-thru before we even enter the bedroom.
Yes I’m sure pastors will have to address marriages based on gluttony.:scratch:

Almost forgot. What does your post have to do with the OP?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

As I have had to say a few times now, obesity is often a metabolic thing and not a gluttony thing. Sometimes it is a gluttony thing. Sometimes not. Many overweight people eat like birds. Many thin people chow down like hippos.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

It's because this is yet another example of a smaller issue taking eyes away from much bigger issues.

I've never understood the preoccupation with what goes on behind the bedroom door. It is spoken about far more often with far more urgency than other issues, like obesity/gluttony.

So my point and question is why do people labour so fervently to highlight an issue that encompasses 4.5% of the U.S. population when there's another sin that encompasses 21% of the U.S. population?

My guess is that it's easier to point the finger at other sins as a means of deflecting from our own. And in terms of obesity/gluttony, it's become so commonplace that most people don't consider it a sin at all.

That is a massive problem that needs addressing. Because those that sit there wagging their finger at homosexuals or non-traditional marriage arrangements whilst obese themselves, well, they are destined for the same fate as those they're condemning, yet no one wants to raise the subject.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
As I have had to say a few times now, obesity is often a metabolic thing and not a gluttony thing. Sometimes it is a gluttony thing. Sometimes not. Many overweight people eat like birds. Many thin people chow down like hippos.

4.6%~ of U.S. population have an under active thyroid. That's the metabolic scapegoat usually played. 4.6% is no where near the 21% of obesity, before even looking at 'overweight'.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's because this is yet another example of a smaller issue taking eyes away from much bigger issues.

I've never understood the preoccupation with what goes on behind the bedroom door. It is spoken about far more often with far more urgency than other issues, like obesity/gluttony.

So my point and question is why do people labour so fervently to highlight an issue that encompasses 4.5% of the U.S. population when there's another sin that encompasses 21% of the U.S. population?

My guess is that it's easier to point the finger at other sins as a means of deflecting from our own. And in terms of obesity/gluttony, it's become so commonplace that most people don't consider it a sin at all.

That is a massive problem that needs addressing. Because those that sit there wagging their finger at homosexuals or non-traditional marriage arrangements whilst obese themselves, well, they are destined for the same fate as those they're condemning, yet no one wants to raise the subject.
So pastors and churches, the faith have you, should have no involvement in marriages of church members?

Would you like to address the subject please and leave the red herrings for the barbecue.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
4.6%~ of U.S. population have an under active thyroid. That's the metabolic scapegoat usually played. 4.6% is no where near the 21% of obesity, before even looking at 'overweight'.
Yeah. Can you keep on the subject of the thread?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I'm curious. Why are you pointing your fingers at Americans when you are in the United Kingdom? What is the gluttony rate in the United Kingdom?

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Think of all of those people who are looked down on as gluttons for no fault of their own, people calling them sinners, telling them they will go to hell for their gluttony, when they really need some good medical care. And you called them scapegoats.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What is 'marriage equality' but the right to marry whoever you want in kind and number? This fits right in. Everybody knew, EVERYBODY, except for a few very naive people, that this was going to eventually happen, that throuples and homosexuals being very monogamish was all inevitable.
You're outrage would be more impressive and far more believable if you didn't have to make up stuff like what you are spewing about marriage equality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I'm curious. Why are you pointing your fingers at Americans when you are in the United Kingdom? What is the gluttony rate in the United Kingdom?

Because the poster is from the U.S., the source is American (I believe) and the majority of people addressing the goings on in peoples' bedrooms are American Christians/Pastors.

Yeah. Can you keep on the subject of the thread?

Fair enough.

I think all that needs to be said is that the idea of a 'sexual frontier' says a lot about the church today.

My point wasn't to detract from its necessity, but to highlight the seemingly wilful inaction against other sins which statistically speaking 1/5 are likely guilty of themselves and see no wrong in it whilst pointing the finger at others.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well for generations western societies adopted from Christians the unambiguous definition of marriage of one man and one woman.
of the same skin color

When our western society decided to stop adopting the Christian unambiguous definition, they opened the door for all sexual unions.
like non Christian marriages

Now we see the church must address something which was much more clear in the past.
that marriage has never been something Christians get to define and then dictate to other people?

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
so they are born that way

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Think of all of those people who are looked down on as gluttons for no fault of their own, people calling them sinners, telling them they will go to hell for their gluttony, when they really need some good medical care. And you called them scapegoats.

I did not say that. If they have a medical reason then obviously that matters. However, as someone with hypothyroidism myself, the whole point of medication is to bring back your hormones to normal levels which means metabolic issues are seldom a problem.

I was directing my criticism towards those that don't have medical problems (the majority). It has become so normalised in society today that many don't see wrong in it and certainly don't see that they share the same fate as any other open, unapologetic sinner.

This is a problem that exists in part, in my opinion, because of the hyper-fixation on specific sins. When a Pastor preaches less and less about the personal journey with Christ and how we ought to live our life according to Scripture and God's desire and more and more about 'what's wrong with society' or 'the family unit being under attack'... those have no edifying value to the individual. Why are we pointing out what a tiny minority are doing instead of highlighting what a very large number of people are doing?

It's reckless. That kind of preaching is nothing but standing by the wide gate, shepherding people through.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You're outrage would be more impressive and far more believable if you didn't have to make up stuff like what you are spewing about marriage equality.
Stuff I'm spewing?

So you are saying 'marriage equality' is not about the ability of a bisexual person to find fulfillment in marrying at least one man AND at least one woman? I'm spewing?

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Stuff I'm spewing?

So you are saying 'marriage equality' is not about the ability of a bisexual person to find fulfillment in marrying at least one man AND at least one woman? I'm spewing?
considering i said nothing of the sort....spewing is a good word for it

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Because the poster is from the U.S., the source is American (I believe) and the majority of people addressing the goings on in peoples' bedrooms are American Christians/Pastors.
Oh. It looked like you might have been trying to hide a higher level of obesity in your own country by pointing fingers elsewhere.

Upvote 0