✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Article from Christianity Today:

A pastor recently told me (Preston) about Tyler and Amanda (names changed), high-school sweethearts raised in Christian homes, living in the Bible belt. After getting married, they seemed to be living the American dream with a house, good jobs, and two kids. Then Jon, a friend of Tyler’s, began living with their family. Amanda developed a close relationship with him, but their flirtation soon developed into something more, and Jon and Amanda proposed to Tyler that they begin exploring polyamory, with Amanda adding Jon as a significant other. They also encouraged Tyler to develop a relationship with another woman he’d met at the gym. He agreed.

When Tyler and Amanda came out as polyamorous, their parents were shocked. What seemed like a fringe practice of the sexual revolution had settled into the heartland of Middle America.

Making the situation even more complex, Tyler and Amanda sought counseling from a Christian counselor who advocated polyamory. Tyler’s parents were disturbed by what their son and daughter-in-law heard there: “It’s only adultery or cheating if someone is kept in the dark. If you are open and honest, this is a God-honoring relationship. And this is good for the kids! It takes a village to raise a child, so a polyamorous relationship actually brings more support and ‘family’ into your kids’ lives, much like the extended families in the past.”

Tyler’s parents wanted to know how to respond to their children but also wanted to know how the church should respond. Should Jon be welcomed into the church as an addition to Tyler and Amanda’s family? In a world where many sexual choices and identities are accepted, polyamory is often still stigmatized, so Tyler’s parents didn’t know who to talk to or where to turn.

An Introduction to Polyamory
For many Christians, polyamory seems so extreme and rare that there’s no need to talk about it. But it is much more common than some people think, and it’s growing in popularity. According to one estimate, “as many as 5 percent of Americans are currently in relationships involving consensual nonmonogamy,” which is about the same percentage as those who identify as LGBTQ. A recent study, published in a peer-reviewed journal, found that 20 percent of Americans have been in a consensual non-monogamous relationship at least once in their life. Another survey showed that nearly 70 percent of non-religious Americans between the ages of 24 and 35 believe that polyamory is okay, even if it’s not their cup of tea. And perhaps most shocking of all, according to sociologist Mark Regnerus in Cheap Sex, roughly 24 percent of church-going people believe that consensual polyamorous relationships are morally permissible.

More at the link: Polyamory: Pastors’ Next Sexual Frontier

I think some Christians who supported same-sex marriage scoffed at other Christians when they said "this just opens the door for polygamy and other non-traditional unions." Well it is showing up in a church near you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. Smh.

Another survey showed that nearly 70 percent of non-religious Americans between the ages of 24 and 35 believe that polyamory is okay, even if it’s not their cup of tea. And perhaps most shocking of all, according to sociologist Mark Regnerus in Cheap Sex, roughly 24 percent of church-going people believe that consensual polyamorous relationships are morally permissible.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another survey showed that nearly 70 percent of non-religious Americans between the ages of 24 and 35 believe that polyamory is okay, even if it’s not their cup of tea. And perhaps most shocking of all, according to sociologist Mark Regnerus in Cheap Sex, roughly 24 percent of church-going people believe that consensual polyamorous relationships are morally permissible.
They try to justify it by incorporating it into their religious belief system.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think some Christians who supported same-sex marriage scoffed at other Christians when they said "this just opens the door for polygamy and other non-traditional unions." Well it is showing up in a church near you.

That could happen. What is your idea of traditional? Cain's son Lamech was already taking two wives. That's going back pretty far.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

A pastor recently told me (Preston) about Tyler and Amanda (names changed), high-school sweethearts raised in Christian homes, living in the Bible belt. After getting married, they seemed to be living the American dream with a house, good jobs, and two kids. Then Jon, a friend of Tyler’s, began living with their family. Amanda developed a close relationship with him, but their flirtation soon developed into something more, and Jon and Amanda proposed to Tyler that they begin exploring polyamory, with Amanda adding Jon as a significant other. They also encouraged Tyler to develop a relationship with another woman he’d met at the gym. He agreed.

When Tyler and Amanda came out as polyamorous, their parents were shocked. What seemed like a fringe practice of the sexual revolution had settled into the heartland of Middle America.

Making the situation even more complex, Tyler and Amanda sought counseling from a Christian counselor who advocated polyamory. Tyler’s parents were disturbed by what their son and daughter-in-law heard there: “It’s only adultery or cheating if someone is kept in the dark. If you are open and honest, this is a God-honoring relationship. And this is good for the kids! It takes a village to raise a child, so a polyamorous relationship actually brings more support and ‘family’ into your kids’ lives, much like the extended families in the past.”

Tyler’s parents wanted to know how to respond to their children but also wanted to know how the church should respond. Should Jon be welcomed into the church as an addition to Tyler and Amanda’s family? In a world where many sexual choices and identities are accepted, polyamory is often still stigmatized, so Tyler’s parents didn’t know who to talk to or where to turn.

For many Christians, polyamory seems so extreme and rare that there’s no need to talk about it. But it is much more common than some people think, and it’s growing in popularity. According to one estimate, “as many as 5 percent of Americans are currently in relationships involving consensual nonmonogamy,” which is about the same percentage as those who identify as LGBTQ. A recent study, published in a peer-reviewed journal, found that 20 percent of Americans have been in a consensual non-monogamous relationship at least once in their life. Another survey showed that nearly 70 percent of non-religious Americans between the ages of 24 and 35 believe that polyamory is okay, even if it’s not their cup of tea. And perhaps most shocking of all, according to sociologist Mark Regnerus in Cheap Sex, roughly 24 percent of church-going people believe that consensual polyamorous relationships are morally permissible.

Tell them to hit the door! Lots of cults they’ll be welcomed into with open paws!

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Now that the barriers of simple common decency are almost destroyed, Satan—via those under his control—is going to increasingly be trolling us believers with nonsense like this.

Anyone with a functioning conscience could not expect to be accepted among sound Christians with a quatuor d'amour. If they had a Christian bone in their body they would remove themselves out of respect for the others.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What we're seeing is a man with utterly no self-respect. That's on him and him alone. If a man puts up with that, what won't he put up with?

I suppose that's the mindset of a man who votes for Hillary Clinton...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It’s only adultery or cheating if someone is kept in the dark. If you are open and honest, this is a God-honoring relationship.

Someone hasn't read their bible. This doesn't even rate as a good excuse for adultery...surely they can do better than that. :)

Nothing new about justifying evil.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What we're seeing is a man with utterly no self-respect.
Indeed and no respect for his own wife creating a permissive environment for adultery.

I’ve coached youth baseball for a long time. One year my star catcher called and said he would not make the game because he did not have a ride. So I offered to pick him up when I took my son and wife to the ball field. But I said I needed to speak with one of his parents.

He put on his “babysitter.” Spoke to her as she would bring him to practices some days. Her car was in the shop and his mom and dad (who was one of my assistant coaches) were still at work. No problem. So my wife, son and I pick up the “live in” babysitter and the kid.

She had no issues small talking with my wife on the way that she and the parents lived together and all went to high school together.

May sound pretty straight forward but when the mom got orders for Korea and the dad just exited service, he left to another city with the babysitter.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Indeed and no respect for his own wife creating a permissive environment for adultery.

I’ve coached youth baseball for a long time. One year my star catcher called and said he would not make the game because he did not have a ride. So I offered to pick him up when I took my son and wife to the ball field. But I said I needed to speak with one of his parents.

He put on his “babysitter.” Spoke to her as she would bring him to practices some days. Her car was in the shop and his mom and dad (who was one of my assistant coaches) were still at work. No problem. So my wife, son and I pick up the “live in” babysitter and the kid.

She had no issues small talking with my wife on the way that she and the parents lived together and all went to high school together.

May sound pretty straight forward but when the mom got orders for Korea and the dad just exited service, he left to another city with the babysitter.
I don’t know why I am posting to this except to say I am surprised. Horrible situation. :pray:

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Someone hasn't read their bible. This doesn't even rate as a good excuse for adultery...surely they can do better than that. :)

Nothing new about justifying evil.

Actually the opposite is closer the truth. Compare this to a husband who goes out of town on a business trip, spends a night with a prostitute or a loose woman at the hotel bar, then it is over and never spoken of again. He goes home to his wife, carries on as if it had never happened, and carries the dark secret to the grave with him. Both have broken their vows, but who has shown greater disrespect to the marriage covenant?

Concealing your extramarital trysts, in fact, is evidence that even though you haven't honored your marriage vows, at least they don't mean nothing to you. Trying to keep the appearance of a monogamous marriage implies seeing some value in it. This, of course, is what polyamory aims to end - it aims to create a culture where monogamy isn't valued.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Agree
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

exactly how dd marriage equality open the door to .... what ever it is you are complaining about now?

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Christian?
Christian counsellor?
And this very post shows how many
many will say Lord, Lord.....and He will say depart from me I never knew you.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
When are they going to address obesity/gluttony?

That's over 70 million (21% of adults in the U.S.) living in open sin.

By contrast, 4.5% of the population identify as LGBT.

That's a serious problem and a huge imbalance of attention and outrage.

Forget the bedroom, there are more souls lost at the dinner table and drive-thru before we even enter the bedroom.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
exactly how dd marriage equality open the door to .... what ever it is you are complaining about now?
What is 'marriage equality' but the right to marry whoever you want in kind and number? This fits right in. Everybody knew, EVERYBODY, except for a few very naive people, that this was going to eventually happen, that throuples and homosexuals being very monogamish was all inevitable.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well for generations western societies adopted from Christians the unambiguous definition of marriage of one man and one woman.

When our western society decided to stop adopting the Christian unambiguous definition, they opened the door for all sexual unions.

Now we see the church must address something which was much more clear in the past.

Upvote 0