Poll: Will you go back to your old pew after the pandemic?

Will you go back to your old pew after the pandemic?

• Yes, I'll return to my favorite pew once reserved assigned seating ends.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No, I was once assigned to a new pew I like better. I'll be claiming that one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I now appreciate randomness after being assigned to a new pew every Sunday.

• I never left my own pew. It's mine and you can't make me.

• I never had my own pew because I'm flexible like that.

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Sit for worship? Never.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
On my way to church this morning, I was thinking about my church's reserved assigned seating for contract tracing during the pandemic. I thought about my old pew, the same relative location I have sat in worship since my childhood -- but haven't sat in for a over a year now. I wondered about human behavior: When those churches that have been doing reserved assigned seating stop it, will we all go back to our same relative positions in worship. What do you think?

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I once worked for a mission agency of a denomination that required me or my staff to visit different churches of the denomination periodically as a guest speaker. It was always amusing when someone would tap us on the shoulder to say, "Excuse me, you're in my seat."

I suspect more of us are like Sheldon Cooper than not. I instinctively know where to look to see if "John Doe" is in church on Sunday, because you can usually find John sitting in pretty much the same place. Of course, most of us wouldn't ask someone to move how had taken our favorite pew.

Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On my way to church this morning, I was thinking about my church's reserved assigned seating for contract tracing during the pandemic. I thought about my old pew, the same relative location I have sat in worship since my childhood -- but haven't sat in for a over a year now. I wondered about human behavior: When those churches that have been doing reserved assigned seating stop it, will we all go back to our same relative positions in worship. What do you think?
There is no going back get used to it ....

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,754.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm hard of hearing, so I tend to sit close to where I think most of the speaking will be done ie. close to the lectern and / or microphone. These days a lot of priests wear lapel microphones so it's not quite as important.

Even then I sometimes struggle to hear, but that's a combination of my hearing, sometimes the accents of others, sometimes readers going too fast and too quietly etc.

So I sit where I think I'll be able to hear.

As an aside, many, many years ago there was a new political party called the Australia Party. I went along to one of their meetings. The main speaker appeared to be a bearded chap, probably a student.

He mumbled through his beard for the better part of an hour. I don't think I understood a word he said, so that was the end of my interest in the Australia Party.

Upvote 0