Poll: Should OBOB Posts Show Up In New Posts

Should Posts From OBOB Show Up In New Posts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Then don't participate, no one is forcing you to hit the reply button.
Catholics are not allowed to extensively debate Protestants on this website wherever we want. There are places on this website for debate. Protestants have their safe havens, and this is supposed to be ours.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Members note, votes cast by those who are not covered by the OBOB SOP, such as people who come into the thread on this and break the SOP, will be deleted from the Poll. If you are looking at the totals remember that.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Re-opening this. Any votes by non-OBOB members will not be counted. Take note of what happened. Even in this poll it had to be closed and it took some time to work the report and get it re-opened. That was happening all the time when the posts showed up in the new area.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Stuff still shows up in most replies, but that does not attract the people who debate as much as new posts. It is not very evangelical if threads get shut because people debate visitors who do not know they are in OBOB and saying anti-Catholic things. Closed threads are not evangelical. People who come here knowing they are coming to search for Catholicism come in respectful. But when they do not know where they are and post like it is GT...it causes issues.

OBOB is meant to be a safe haven. Having the post show up in new posts complicate that. Some threads, if they go off the rails will get closed where they otherwise would not.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I understand opening the forum up causes problems sometimes. Closing it off or making it tough to find just sounds cowardly to me.

also it increases stagnation

look at OBOB, is our problem REALLY "wow too many people are posting in here"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think if people here would just not engage them in debate and simply tell them they are in the Catholic forum it will pretty much correct itself. There will be nothing to close down. If they persist then do not engage them and hit report. If we stick to that it should not be much of a problem imo.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think if people here would just not engage them in debate and simply tell them they are in the Catholic forum it will pretty much correct itself. There will be nothing to close down. If they persist then do not engage them and hit report. If we stick to that it should not be much of a problem imo.

Agreed. That is the condition for yes. No matter what that has to happen. But I am not sure that will happen

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. That is the condition for yes. No matter what that has to happen. But I am not sure that will happen
We need to do a bit of introspection here in OBOB. We, ourselves, are often the problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
our Church is meant to be evangelical
this move just makes us looked more closed off
are you perhaps confusing the mission of the Church with the service of the mass?

In the first we go out into the world, in the second the world, attracted by the truth, comes in to us
not to debate what is true but to learn by it.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I understand opening the forum up causes problems sometimes. Closing it off or making it tough to find just sounds cowardly to me.

it's basically a difference in advertizing.
featuring the new posts of OBOB on the main page of the forum is almost like putting a billboard up next to a busy highway.
the only difference is that the billboard has driving directions so you know where you will wind up.

with the software the site has, putting the latest posts from OBOB on the main site is more like following a scavenger hunt;
it looks interesting, but there's no telling where you will wind up.:p

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If someone comes in and gets a warning or is told they can not debate.... That is not evangelization. That is just strife and busy work for people to clean up things that should not happen.

Debating them in OBOB is not on the table. So not sure how it is evangelizing. If yes wins and people do not follow what is in the OP and engage the debate then that is a problem. A yes vote is a promise to not escalate when it happens.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think if we want a fight, we can go looking for it. There are plenty of places to find one on this forum, OBOB is one of the few safe havens for Catholics. As someone on his way into the Church, I'd rather not face a barrage of anti-Catholic sentiment if I can help it. I'm just not interested in that sort of conversation right now.

I know the rules prohibit that, but it doesn't preclude the many ignorant folk out there from getting off a shot before they're told otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.