Poll: Should Democrats follow Hillary Clinton and Abandon Civility?

Should Democrats follow Hillary Clinton and Abandon Civility?

• Total voters

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Watch Hillary Clinton Call For Liberals To Abandon Civility Until They Retake Congress

"You cannot be civil with a political party that wants to destroy what you stand for."

Her remarks come just a day after Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh was ceremonially sworn in to serve at the highest court in the land following a weeks-long campaign by leftists to paint him as a serial gang rapist. While he was taking the official oath of office on Saturday, protestors stormed the Supreme Court building and banged on the doors in an effort to force them open. Several Republican senators who supported Kavanaugh’s confirmation have received death threats, have had their home addresses published online, and been chased out of restaurants.

So the question remains: What civility do liberals have left to abandon? How can the left get any less civil than they already are without breaking into open street riots? Does this mean instead of threatening violence liberals should actually follow through and harm those who disagree with them?

Sure glad she didn't win the last election. Jus' sayin ...

• Winner
Reactions: Truthfrees

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sure glad she didn't win the last election. Jus' sayin ...
With the right having control of all three branches of government the question becomes: How are they going to solve the problem of divisive politics?

Well?... Any solutions? I'm all ears.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Openly stupid and honestly incompetent?
LOL ... politics has been that for some time already.

How many years have both parties made empty promises to their base voters which went unfulfilled? Both parties simply pointed at the other telling their voters how evil the other party was. Trump, like Reagan, changed that ... actually keeping campaign promises.

• Winner
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
With the right having control of all three branches of government the question becomes: How are they going to solve the problem of divisive politics?

Well?... Any solutions? I'm all ears.
Might I suggest you think the matter through. It is not up to one party to solve all problems. Consider that it is the responsibility of the opposing party to put forth lines of thought which offer the improvements the opposing party seeks ... and to then convince voters that the opposing party's plan will work and achieve the sought after gains ... and that those gains provide tangible benefits for enough people.

• Winner
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
LOL ... politics has been that for some time already.

How many years have both parties made empty promises to their base voters which went unfulfilled? Both parties simply pointed at the other telling their voters how evil the other party was. Trump, like Reagan, changed that ... actually keeping campaign promises.

Sure, but that's like keeping a promise to punch you in the face. It was kept, but is that really a good thing?

I'm honestly worried about the deregulation and huge tax cuts for the rich. Historically that leads to a boom period (we're in it now) followed by a bust when the result of unregulated greed comes home to roost. And who suffers? We do. Not the greedy pigs who exploit the system. Happened under Reagan, happened under Bush. I'm planning on calling it the Trump Dump.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Have you perchance noticed that politics has become far more open and honest in the past couple of years?

No, I haven't. In fact, it appears to me that Republicans have entirely abandoned any attempt to act in good faith and have fallen in line behind Trump in engaging in an entirely dishonest, manipulative form of politicking that has "winning" as its primary goal rather than any sort of legitimate policy. Democrats seem to be lagging behind in the race towards peak cynicism, but are starting to close the gap.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Sure, but that's like keeping a promise to punch you in the face. It was kept, but is that really a good thing?
Trump has kept most promises ... but not kept promises which large constituencies fought against.
I'm honestly worried about the deregulation and huge tax cuts for the rich. Historically that leads to a boom period (we're in it now) followed by a bust when the result of unregulated greed comes home to roost. And who suffers? We do. Not the greedy pigs who exploit the system.
Business cycles through boom and bust. That's just the way it is. Two steps forward, one step back.

The point is continual advancement. I can understand concern when on the precipice of a pull-back but don't understand not wanting to advance. Sure, people change jobs and skills as the cycles ebb and flow but that keeps life interesting.
Happened under Reagan, happened under Bush.
Noting that Reagan's presidency reshaped the world and national borders - the largest peacetime rearrangement of borders in history, perhaps even the largest ever whether in peacetime or war.

Reagan's economy reversed the dismal economy under Jimmy Carter and the Reagan boom lasted for two decades with only minor bumps.
I'm planning on calling it the Trump Dump.
OK. So are you hoping for that?

Perhaps you're hoping some bad economic news will help your side win elections?

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From the article:

“You cannot be civil with a political party that wants to destroy what you stand for, what you care about,” she said. “That’s why I believe if we are fortunate enough to win back the House and or the Senate, that’s when civility can start again. But until then the only thing the Republicans seem to recognize and respect is strength.

This part all too often appears to be true, but contrasting strength to civility is a false dichotomy. If you can't defend your position, even forcefully, without devolving into a shouting match, that's not strength. That's fragility.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
No, I haven't. In fact, it appears to me that Republicans have entirely abandoned any attempt to act in good faith and have fallen in line behind Trump in engaging in an entirely dishonest, manipulative form of politicking that has "winning" as its primary goal rather than any sort of legitimate policy.
How so?

Trump has been quite clear about his objectives and followed through with his plans. Trump's even invited Democrats to participate in reshaping the arguments ... but those attempts were met with resolute rejection by Democrats.

Seems to me one really has no legitimate beef when one didn't even sit at the discussion table. Jus' sayin ...

• Winner
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Business cycles through boom and bust. That's just the way it is. Two steps forward, one step back.

The point is continual advancement. I can understand concern when on the precipice of a pull-back but don't understand not wanting to advance. Sure, people change jobs and skills as the cycles ebb and flow but that keeps life interesting.

Noting that Reagan's presidency reshaped the world and national borders - the largest peacetime rearrangement of borders in history, perhaps even the largest ever whether in peacetime or war.

Reagan's economy reversed the dismal economy under Jimmy Carter and the Reagan boom lasted for two decades with only minor bumps.

I see we're just going to ignore the recession of the early 90s and the S&L crisis that hurt many American families. Then there was a lot of unemployment in the early 90s which was a huge reason Bush lost the election to Clinton. But, sure, minor bumps and all.
OK. So are you hoping for that?

Perhaps you're hoping some bad economic news will help your side win elections?

Nope. But it's a good name.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Winner
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I see we're just going to ignore the recession of the early 90s and the S&L crisis that hurt many American families. Then there was a lot of unemployment in the early 90s which was a huge reason Bush lost the election to Clinton. But, sure, minor bumps and all.
All one has to do is look at historical unemployment.

383px-US_annual_unemployment_rate.svg.png

The peak you're concerned about in the early '90s was relatively short and unemployment quickly dropped back to the low levels seen previously only in the post-war period after WWII.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
All one has to do is look at historical unemployment.

383px-US_annual_unemployment_rate.svg.png

The peak you're concerned about in the early '90s was relatively short and unemployment quickly dropped back to the low levels seen previously only in the post-war period after WWII.
Bill Clinton was elected in 1992. Perhaps it was his policies that drove it back down. That peak seems to be right around the election.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From the article:

This part all too often appears to be true, but contrasting strength to civility is a false dichotomy. If you can't defend your position, even forcefully, without devolving into a shouting match, that's not strength. That's fragility.
How does that part appear to be true?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Bill Clinton was elected in 1992. Perhaps it was his policies that drove it back down. That peak seems to be right around the election.
I'll give Clinton credit for not messing up the economy. :oldthumbsup:

• Winner
Upvote 0