[POLL] Should Christians Rest and Keep Holy the Sabbath Day?

Should Christians Rest and Keep Holy the Sabbath Day?

• Yes

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 38.6%

• Total voters

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would Christians need to keep days that were given only to one nation, Israel? And the fact is that the keeping od days were part of the set of laws that were to govern Israel while in the land of Canaan. They were not laws that pertained to salvation.

5 Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6 you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.”

God said it and I believe it. Theories of men need much examination. Those who thump observance of Sabbath certainly do not have any idea what the old covenant was about. They go so far as to tell us if we are not observant we will miss out of eternal life. What they are doing is taking a covenant that was to be the laws for Israel to live by and trying to make some of them salvational. It just ain't so.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Isaiah 66:23 "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before me to worship" - the OT Sabbath ... for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth. The same 7th day Sabbath.

Exegesis insists that we "notice" how Isaiah and his readers would have known the term for the weekly Sabbath and what it means to not delete it - but rather continue it for all eternity in the New Earth.

"There REMAINS therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" Hebrews 4. Remains from WHEN? the text says from Psalms 95 the days of David.

Well then how did they keep the Sabbath then? Answer - On Saturday they did that very thing - a day of holy convocation as Lev 23:3 points out... a holy day of no secular activity as Isaiah 58:13 points out..

Hebrews 4 is NOT talking about keeping the Sabbath day. It is talking about Jesus.

11. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience. 12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
True ... in the OT... and true.. in the NT.

No change.

There "Remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" Hebrews 4.

Remains "From when"? Well Hebrews 4 says it remains as it was in Psalms 95.

Irrefutable.

Who in the OT besides anointed leaders, prophets and kings had the Holy Spirit? Did the everyday Israelite?

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Can't respond to your poll, because yes I think the Sabbath should be kept holy. But then I do believe that every day of your life should be led in such a way that if God would appear you would be ready.
But rest from work? Work is not a bad thing and some professions do work on Sunday. Are we to condemn nurses, doctors, police officers, or a man who said rise up and walk?
Learn to truly love ... That is Gods commandment to you!

Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can't respond to your poll, because yes I think the Sabbath should be kept holy. But then I do believe that every day of your life should be led in such a way that if God would appear you would be ready.
But rest from work? Work is not a bad thing and some professions do work on Sunday. Are we to condemn nurses, doctors, police officers, or a man who said rise up and walk?

Emergency services should be an exception. This is in regards to the Sabbath from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown from the Fourth Commandment.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

God is the one that came up with this concept/commandment and as Christ shows in the NT - He allowed for emergency/humanitarian efforts on Sabbath... still it is His plan that we rest and worship God on His own selected Holy Day.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Who in the OT besides anointed leaders, prophets and kings had the Holy Spirit? Did the everyday Israelite?

Yes - the Holy Spirit is everywhere and there is no such thing as Salvation apart from the New Birth experience of the Jer 31:31-33 New Covenant Gospel "preached to Abraham" Gal 3:8

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
. The problem is you believe it includes the Old Sabbath rest, a day, rather than the New Sabbath Rest - .

Isaiah 66:23 "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before me to worship" - the OT Sabbath ... for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth. The same 7th day Sabbath.

Exegesis insists that we "notice" how Isaiah and his readers would have known the term for the weekly Sabbath and what it means to not delete it - but rather continue it for all eternity in the New Earth.

"There REMAINS therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" Hebrews 4. Remains from WHEN? the text says from Psalms 95 the days of David.

Well then how did they keep the Sabbath then? Answer - On Saturday they did that very thing - a day of holy convocation as Lev 23:3 points out... a holy day of no secular activity as Isaiah 58:13 points out..

Hebrews 4 is NOT talking about keeping the Sabbath day. It is talking about Jesus.

Not true at all since Hebrews 4 quotes from the Commandment. And Jesus is never called "the weekly Sabbath" in all of scripture.

concerning the seventh day: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”;

Does not say "And God Jesus-Christed on the seventh day - from all of His works" as we all know.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yes - the Holy Spirit is everywhere and there is no such thing as Salvation apart from the New Birth experience of the Jer 31:31-33 New Covenant Gospel "preached to Abraham" Gal 3:8

I think the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is what makes the commandments written on our hearts, and not just a law on stone to be kept in your own strength, so I disagree that they had the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It is clear that God overlooked their sin, and just went by their own faith to serve God, looking forward to the Messiah.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
, so I disagree that they had the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. .

Indeed:

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him,because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will(will) be in you
John 14:15-17

There is a big difference between the Holy Spirit being with you, and Him being in you, as the disciples discovered at Pentecost

Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Those who believe the Holy Spirit resides under the NC with believers exactly the same as He was with the Israelites under the OC, must it stands to reason have the availability of the Spirit as they did under the OC. That explains everything-perfectly, including threads in the Sabbath and the law section

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Those who believe the Holy Spirit resides under the NC with believers exactly the same as He was with the Israelites under the OC, must it stands to reason have the availability of the Spirit as they did under the OC.

I don't think God plays those word games.

"ONE Gospel" -- not "Two" Gal 1:6-9
THAT "Gospel was preached to Abraham" Gal 3:8
NEW Covenant in the OLD Testament Jer 31:31-33
UNCHANGED in the NEW Testament Hebrews 8:6-10
Which means it is "still sin to take God's name in vain" even in the NT
"God's Law written on heart and mind" is STILL in the New Covenant promise
Moses and Elijah stand WITH Christ in glory - BEFORE the Cross... Matthew 17.

The point remains.

irrefutable.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is what makes the commandments written on our hearts

Just as was the case in the OT.

"ONE Gospel" -- not "Two" Gal 1:6-9
THAT "Gospel was preached to Abraham" Gal 3:8
NEW Covenant in the OLD Testament Jer 31:31-33
UNCHANGED in the NEW Testament Hebrews 8:6-10
Which means it is "still sin to take God's name in vain" even in the NT
"God's Law written on heart and mind" is STILL in the New Covenant promise
Moses and Elijah stand WITH Christ in glory - BEFORE the Cross... Matthew 17.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No to the poll! Christians are not under the old covenant with its ritual laws. Our rest comes from Jesus. There is no command in the new covenant regarding the keeping of days. The Sabbath was given to Israel for them to remember. They were to remember their flight out of Egypt. We are to remember Jesus and His sacrifice for saving all mankind that will yield to Him.

Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Indeed:

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him,because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will(will) be in you
John 14:15-17

There is a big difference between the Holy Spirit being with you, and Him being in you, as the disciples discovered at Pentecost

Yes, that verse says it all!

It was only those "anointed" in the OT, like the prophets.

Upvote 0