[POLL] Should Christians Rest and Keep Holy the Sabbath Day?

Should Christians Rest and Keep Holy the Sabbath Day?

• Yes

Votes: 27 61.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 38.6%

• Total voters

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should Christians Rest and Keep Holy the Sabbath Day?

I think we should seek to keep every day holy. And as far the rest of God is concerned, the obvious New Testament teaching was that we were to rest from our own works and begin letting the Lord Jesus Christ Himself work through us instead (Hebrews 4:1-6).

The Old Testament Sabbath rest was merely a type of something far deeper spiritually.

Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should but don't have to , you can praise God any day of week you want .

I can agree with that. Paul said not to be judged based on Sabbaths. Plus, we are under grace and not the law. We are to love God and neighbor. The Lord did say to keep his Commandments, however which shows how to love God and neighbor.

• Agree
Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we should seek to keep every day holy. And as far the rest of God is concerned, the obvious New Testament teaching was that we were to rest from our own works and begin letting the Lord Jesus Christ Himself work through us instead (Hebrews 4:1-6).

The Old Testament Sabbath rest was merely a type of something far deeper spiritually.

That's a good point.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Per Hebrews 4, the OT Sabbath rest was a type of the rest we will experience in the New Heavens and New Earth. Since we're not there yet, it still functions in this way and we still need it.

• Winner
Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

You can, but it's not necessary. Although we shouldn't forsake the assembly of the saints. But even assembly is not tied to a day.But if it's out of the desire of your heart to show gratitude and time to God, go ahead.

Reactions: CDF47
Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Per Hebrews 4, the OT Sabbath rest was a type of the rest we will experience in the New Heavens and New Earth. Since we're not there yet, it still functions in this way and we still need it.

Personnally, I still rest on the Sabbath but I think, as posted above, it was a shadow of a deeper spiritual rest based on Hebrews. Paul said don't be judged by Sabbaths since it was a shadow of things to come in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Personnally, I still rest on the Sabbath but I think, as posted above, it was a shadow of a deeper spiritual rest based on Hebrews. Paul said don't be judged by Sabbaths since it was a shadow of things to come in Christ.

Why do you think he used the plural form of Sabbath?

Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can, but it's not necessary. Although we shouldn't forsake the assembly of the saints. But even assembly is not tied to a day.But if it's out of the desire of your heart to show gratitude and time to God, go ahead.

Based on the Books of Hebrews and Corinthians, I can agree with that.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We know Christ told us --

"Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."

This suggests to us it's not a rigid certain way, but instead to meet the intention of the Sabbath. To do what the Sabbath was designed to accomplish.

We know that the Sabbath was for both physical rest ( to show this, the Sabbath was even commanded to be for work animals also), but in addition was specifically also for time to focus on God and His Word.

Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟58,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We know Christ told us --

"Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."

This suggests to us it's not a rigid certain way, but instead to meet the intention of the Sabbath. To do what the Sabbath was designed to accomplish.

We know that the Sabbath was for both physical rest ( to show this, the Sabbath was even commanded to be for work animals also), but in addition was specifically also for time to focus on God and His Word.

Agreed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Actually, the Sabbath will return both during the millennium and with the New Heavens and New earth (Isaiah 66:22-24), but fleshly observance of OT customs is not required at the present time any more than making sacrifices in the Jewish temple is.

But this debate has been beaten to death, even as recently again as a day or two ago, so I have no intentions of going round and round with anyone over it. Wisdom is deemed right by her children.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath still is a shadow of deeper, future rest.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes life forces some people to only be able to do the Sabbath in pieces, on more than one day.

But if they do, then those pieces matter, and help them, greatly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0