✟220,857.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
whites-only.jpeg

Do you think the company slogan was "Imperial Laundry Co. - We make sure your whites, stay white"

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Do you think the company slogan was "Imperial Laundry Co. - We make sure your whites, stay white"

That would be pretty clever, actually... and certainly would've gone over well given the context.

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Well here's what you said...

" He invites Adam and Eve to share with him in pro-creation--to be, in a small way, like Him. To pro-create. That is a chief purpose of marriage."

Is that not the "truth" you believe homosexuality is a "perversion" of? I can understand that procreation was a big deal long ago when christianity needed to shore up its numbers...but nowadays when the world is already dealing with overpopulation problems, it would seem like the Christ-like thing to do would be to not have children.

My wife and I aren't having kids...is that a sin that's on par with homosexuality?

If you read what I said carefully, I said it is only one truth, and one purpose of marriage. The biggest one is that marriage, for Christians, is an earthly picture of larger spiritual truths and spiritual issues. You seem to have glossed right over those.

So much for that slippery slope...you've just admitted that all of these people should withhold their services from gay couples. So it's not a slippery slope...it's an actual problem for the gay community if these kinds of laws get passed.

I don't think so, because there will be plenty of photographers, bakers and the like who will still be happy to serve them. And as I have said so many times, these Christians are not refusing to serve any gays for any reasons. Just not gay weddings.

Why have them over if associating yourself with them is an affront to your faith?

All sin is an affront to my faith--first and chiefly, my own sin. And so was sin an affront to Jesus, though He of course was a minister to sinners. However, there is also grace, mercy, and love--thank God. The problem with gay weddings is that is an event to celebrate sin. And that is a bridge too far.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"when your first name becomes "[the n-word]" and your middle name becomes "boy" (however old you are) and your last name becomes "John," and when your wife and mother are never given the respected title "Mrs."; when you are harried by day and haunted by night by the fact that you are a Negro, living constantly at tiptoe stance, never quite knowing what to expect next, and plagued with inner fears and outer resentments; when you are forever fighting a degenerating sense of "nobodyness"--then you will understand why we find it difficult to wait."

I'm only 44 years old and I use to hear the N word used to refer to Black people all the time in my own home and in the small predominantly white town I grew up in. Native Americans, although I'm directly descended from them, were referred to as drunken Indians and Hispanics were referred to as wetbacks. Minorities were always referred to with derogatory references. For the record, I was raised in a conservative Christian home and the town I grew up in was very conservative too. Granted, I was an conservative evangelical Christian when I first got involved in Native American social activism in my early twenties, but that changed after I realized that the Christian conservative ideology I had been raised in was in direct opposition to the issues of social justice and to the rights of marginalized people, like LGBT. So, I gradually became liberal while I continued to be involved in activism. I've been a liberal ever since because I could never go back to being a conservative evangelical again.

Anyway, your response reminded me of a picture I saw that was shared on Facebook. I thought the message in the picture would be appropriate in this thread because of some of its content on LGBT.

Here is the message in the picture: I am Muslim, register me. I am Mexican, deport me. I am African, imprison me. I am LGBTQ+ refuse to serve me. I am poor, blame me. I am elderly, privatize me, I am a woman, defund me. I am homeless, ignore me, I am disabled, bully me, I am sick, uninsure me, I am indigenous, pollute me. I am a veteran, voucher me. I am an American, Lie to me.

FacebookSharedPicture.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I hope it has to do with why California did what they did.

You hope lol? Either it does...or it doesn't. I've got no idea if it does or not because I don't know who made the quote and what the context is...two things you suspiciously left out.

So why don't you tell me?

I thought you did.

I'd love to! I thought it was massively hypocritical to call out a conservative for merely suggesting that comfort might be worth legislation in some circumstances....when legislating comfort has been a top priority for the left for years now.

Demanding university policies regarding "trigger warnings" and "microaggressions" and of course, the racially/gender segregated "safe spaces" are all attempts to legislate comfort by impinging upon the rights of others....

....they're just amateurs compared to the leftists outside of the university setting though. There's been demonstrations against "free speech", using political violence to silence opposing views, and the moral/ethical justification of looting and rioting.

I'd be glad to discuss any of these in detail if you're unsure how they're essentially trying to push towards the political goal of legislating comfort...like that law in California.

Only to people who know history.

Oh you don't have to convince me...I see people of color refer to white men as "white boy" on t.v. so often that it's practically the norm. I've always thought it was racist...especially since you rarely see other whites refer to each other that way and it's almost always in a negative context.

I'm glad we agree.

• Agree
Reactions: Liza B.
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm only 44 years old and I use to hear the N word used to refer to Black people all the time in my own home and in the small predominantly white town I grew up in. Native Americans, although I'm directly descended from them, were referred to as drunken Indians and Hispanics were referred to as wetbacks. Minorities were always referred to with derogatory references. For the record, I was raised in a conservative Christian home and the town I grew up in was very conservative too. Granted, I was an conservative evangelical Christian when I first got involved in Native American social activism in my early twenties, but that changed after I realized that the Christian conservative ideology I had been raised in was in direct opposition to the issues of social justice and to the rights of marginalized people, like LGBT. So, I gradually became liberal while I continued to be involved in activism. I've been a liberal ever since because I could never go back to being a conservative evangelical again.

Anyway, your response reminded me of a picture I saw that was shared on Facebook. I thought the message in the picture would be appropriate in this thread because of some of its content on LGBT.

Here is the message in the picture: I am Muslim, register me. I am Mexican, deport me. I am African, imprison me. I am LGBTQ+ refuse to serve me. I am poor, blame me. I am elderly, privatize me, I am a woman, defund me. I am homeless, ignore me, I am disabled, bully me, I am sick, uninsure me, I am indigenous, pollute me. I am a veteran, voucher me. I am an American, Lie to me.

View attachment 219192

She forgot "I am white, blame me".

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She forgot "I am white, blame me".

I don't see any indication in her message that she's blaming white people. I do, however, see her addressing the issues that the marginalized people she's mentioned still face today though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't see any indication in her message that she's blaming white people.

I didn't see anything to suggest that she's deporting Mexicans, registering Muslims, or imprisoning blacks...but she listed those anyway...

I figured she just made a sign listing problems these groups face. I thought it was ironic that she forgot to include her own race.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you read what I said carefully, I said it is only one truth, and one purpose of marriage. The biggest one is that marriage, for Christians, is an earthly picture of larger spiritual truths and spiritual issues. You seem to have glossed right over those.

You didn't mention any "spiritual truths" or "spiritual issues".

If you want, I can quote the whole relevant section.

I don't think so, because there will be plenty of photographers, bakers and the like who will still be happy to serve them. And as I have said so many times, these Christians are not refusing to serve any gays for any reasons. Just not gay weddings.

What if you live in one of the many small towns in the U.S. and you've only got one bakery nearby?

Of course they're refusing to serve gay couples...who else would they be refusing? It's not as if the baker has to attend the wedding...or even leave the bakery...the couple can just send someone to pick up the cake and bring it to the wedding.

All sin is an affront to my faith--first and chiefly, my own sin. And so was sin an affront to Jesus, though He of course was a minister to sinners. However, there is also grace, mercy, and love--thank God. The problem with gay weddings is that is an event to celebrate sin. And that is a bridge too far.

Well as I said, the baker need not attend nor celebrate the wedding...they only need to bake a cake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't see anything to suggest that she's deporting Mexicans, registering Muslims, or imprisoning blacks...but she listed those anyway...

She's addressing the social issues these marginalized people face and bringing attention to them. I've never deported Mexicans, registered Muslims or imprisoned blacks, but I still talk about these issues.

I figured she just made a sign listing problems these groups face. I thought it was ironic that she forgot to include her own race.

White people aren't generally marginalized in this country unless they are biracial, disabled, poor, sick, homeless, elderly, LGBT, a veteran or a woman. So, she did include her own race.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You hope lol? Either it does...or it doesn't. I've got no idea if it does or not because I don't know who made the quote and what the context is...two things you suspiciously left out.

So why don't you tell me?

It's an excerpt from a very famous piece of literature -- if the educational system has failed, Google will not.

I'd love to! I thought it was massively hypocritical to call out a conservative for merely suggesting that comfort might be worth legislation in some circumstances....when legislating comfort has been a top priority for the left for years now.

You think it's about comfort? I strongly advise you google that passage.

Demanding university policies regarding "trigger warnings" and "microaggressions" and of course, the racially/gender segregated "safe spaces" are all attempts to legislate comfort by impinging upon the rights of others....

Whoa now... "demand" or "legislate"? You're talking about two separate things.

Words have meanings, you know... swapping them out arbitrarily doesn't help your case.

Oh you don't have to convince me...I see people of color refer to white men as "white boy" on t.v. so often that it's practically the norm. I've always thought it was racist...especially since you rarely see other whites refer to each other that way and it's almost always in a negative context.

I'm glad we agree.

I see you've only ever seen it happen one way...

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's an excerpt from a very famous piece of literature -- if the educational system has failed, Google will not.

I'll pass. If you can't be bothered to explain your post, I'm certainly not going to play detective to figure it out. Welcome to the internet.

You think it's about comfort? I strongly advise you google that passage.

Go back and reread your original post that I replied to. You were chastising another poster by asking where a right to comfort was in the constitution. When I asked if you didn't want to discuss that point...you replied with that long quote without any context.

Now that I know it doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand, I'm glad I didn't investigate it.

Whoa now... "demand" or "legislate"? You're talking about two separate things.

Not really...no. Political demands are made of the party in power...these demands turn into legislation when the party making the demands comes into power. It's just two different ways of pushing the same political agenda.

I see you've only ever seen it happen one way...

I'll freely admit I've never heard anyone call someone "black boy" or "brown boy" or any other variation. It's certainly not common enough to see it on t.v. and in the media regularly.

I don't see how any of that changes my point either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
She's addressing the social issues these marginalized people face and bringing attention to them. I've never deported Mexicans, registered Muslims or imprisoned blacks, but I still talk about these issues.

That's not what I got from her sign...but it's vague enough that you're free to interpret it how you choose.

White people aren't generally marginalized in this country unless they are biracial, disabled, poor, sick, homeless, elderly, LGBT, a veteran or a woman. So, she did include her own race.

When you blame whites for the ills of society and ignore issues relevant to them...you are marginalizing them, by the very definition of the word.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You truly believe that white people are blamed for everything and not simply society as a whole. eg Veteran care - you believe that Caucasians are being blamed?

There are definitely people who do blame whites for all of society's problems.

I'm a bit surprised that you'd even ask me that...clearly you have the internet, so even if you don't have t.v. or radio, it would be pretty hard to miss.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'll pass. If you can't be bothered to explain your post, I'm certainly not going to play detective to figure it out. Welcome to the internet.

Select and Google = Too much work? Very well. I'll give you a hint:

MLK_mugshot_birmingham.jpg

Go back and reread your original post that I replied to. You were chastising another poster by asking where a right to comfort was in the constitution. When I asked if you didn't want to discuss that point...you replied with that long quote without any context.

Context which should have been self evident even if someone doesn't know about the man in the above picture.

Here's another hint: Do you think this is about mere "comfort"?

I'll freely admit I've never heard anyone call someone "black boy" or "brown boy" or any other variation. It's certainly not common enough to see it on t.v. and in the media regularly.

Well then -- if you've never heard it, then clearly it never happened... who needs history?

This, boys and girls, is why I occasionally ask people to google things they really should know.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There are definitely people who do blame whites for all of society's problems.

I'm a bit surprised that you'd even ask me that...clearly you have the internet, so even if you don't have t.v. or radio, it would be pretty hard to miss.
Maybe its a nation thing because no I dont feel that in my country. Perhaps its more that minorities feel societal affects. Eg veterans are a minority and immigrants are a minority. Are you confusing "whites are to blame" as opposed to minorities simply feeling the negative affects on them. Now the sign that girl had in her hand was blaming no-one - each minority was highlighting the affect they feel. Whats frustrates people when they are in a tough situation is that they aren't validated but dismissed - can you not see why then following up with "oh great blame the white guy" is not only missing the target of the affects minorities feel, but putting the attention back onto "us poor white people".

Whether you agree with social justice or not, at least allow it the dignity of people authentically saying how issues impact on them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.