Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
This USA Today article attempts to blame this decline in support for LBGT on Trump. I disagree. I think the backlash against Political Correctness has finally freed people up to say what they have been thinking all along.

There is another issue here as well: the Gay Lobby did not stop with the passage of gay marriage, but continued to push well past most Americans' comfort. For one example, asking Christian bakers to violate their moral conscience with "Bake me a cake!" But that is only one.

For the first time in four years, Americans are less accepting of LGBT people, a survey finds — a setback activists say is stunning but not unexpected after a turbulent 2017.

The survey, conducted by The Harris Poll on behalf of LGBT media advocacy group GLAAD, reflects an about-face from positive momentum reflected in polls GLAAD has commissioned since 2014.

“We are surprised at the scale and the swiftness” in the erosion of tolerance in the course of one year, Sarah Kate Ellis, GLAAD president and CEO, told USA TODAY. “But if you are LGBT and living in America, you are seeing this every day.”

Tolerance takes a hit: Americans less accepting of LGBT people in 2017, survey shows

Macril

Jan 17, 2018
Oslo
✟2,546.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course , Trump fanning flames of hatred against sexual minorities, refugees, science, people of color, Europeans, Muslims and whomever disagrees with him can’t be in any way responsible for the biggest polarization of US since civil war.

Just something people are doing themselves. Funny how Trump takes credit for air travel safety but then apparently his bigotry can’t really have negative impact on anything.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Of course , Trump fanning flames of hatred against sexual minorities, refugees, science, people of color, Europeans, Muslims and whomever disagrees with him can’t be in any way responsible for the biggest polarization of US since civil war.

Just something people are doing themselves. Funny how Trump takes credit for air travel safety but then apparently his bigotry can’t really have negative impact on anything.

Let's just take one thing you said and try to make sense of it. What is one thing Trump has done in office that "fanned flames of hatred" toward LGBT? Be specific.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Let's just take one thing you said and try to make sense of it. What is one thing Trump has done in office that "fanned flames of hatred" toward LGBT? Be specific.
Try to ban openly transgender people from serving in the military springs to mind.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Try to ban openly transgender people from serving in the military springs to mind.

Transgendered people want elective surgeries that the US taxpayers pay for, often while they are enlisted members of the military. Not only that, but they have to be on medication to sustain their hormone levels all the time. They are not asking for equal rights; they are asking for special rights--that we must pay for. I consider that reasonable to address, not "fanning the flames of hatred". It's not about "hating" trans people; it's about asking, is this appropriate for the US military, and who pays?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Transgendered people want elective surgeries that the US taxpayers pay for, often while they are enlisted members of the military. Not only that, but they have to be on medication to sustain their hormone levels all the time. They are not asking for equal rights; they are asking for special rights--that we must pay for. I consider that reasonable to address, not "fanning the flames of hatred". It's not about "hating" trans people; it's about asking, is this appropriate for the US military, and who pays?
The cost of transgender care in the US military is 8.4 million dollars per year. Compared to the other demands on the military healthcare budget, this is negligible and the quoted point only serves as a desperate try at plausible deniability.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The change in numbers is not very significant. It could just represent a changing tone in the culture, but it doesn't necessarily represent a fundamental shift in peoples attitudes. People just feel emboldened to say what they really feel.

Only about 1/3 of non-LGBT people in the country has significant problems with the LGBT community. That means 2/3 don't. I don't see peoples attitudes suddenly changing towards non-acceptance of gays.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sfs
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The cost of transgender care in the US military is 8.4 million dollars per year. Compared to the other demands on the military healthcare budget, this is negligible and the quoted point only serves as a desperate try at plausible deniability.

It is completely elective. Please tell me what other elective surgeries the US military pays for--and knows they will pay for, going in.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The change in numbers is not very significant. It could just represent a changing tone in the culture, with more ambiguity, but it doesn't necessarily represent a fundamental shift in peoples attitudes.

I agree it's not all that significant. But the trend is significant, enough so that GLAAD is not pleased about it, of course.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It is completely elective. Please tell me what other elective surgeries the US military pays for--and knows they will pay for, going in.
http://militaryoneclick.com/did-you-know-tricare-offers-these-benefits/

• Correction of a birth defect (includes cleft lip)
  • Restoration of a body form following an accidental injury
  • Revision of disfiguring and extensive scars resulting from neoplastic surgery (i.e., surgery that removes a tumor or cyst)
  • Reconstructive breast surgery following a medically necessary (To be medically necessary means it is appropriate, reasonable, and adequate for your condition) mastectomy
  • Reconstructive breast surgery due to a congenital anomaly (birth defect)
  • Liposuction when medically necessary
  • Panniculectomy (tummy tuck) performed in conjunction with an abdominal or pelvic surgery when medical review determines that the procedure significantly contributes to the safe and effective correction or improvement of bodily function.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
People, regular everyday people don't have the medication and health care that they need to live...

Yet, these others want to have this special surgery and medication payed for by the government....

No matter if its 8.4 million or billion... this money could be better spend on the truly needy.

We have the same thing going on in Canada... I had to pay $2000.00 for each of my three kids to get their wisdom teeth out...

Now, what happens if you don't get your wisdom teeth removed, when they need to be..... constant pain, head aches, improper bite alignment.. a life of hurt..

Yet.... not paid for by our health plan... but some other person wants to change their gender.... a decision made by them.. no health issues to avoid... and they get the bill picked up?

Healthcare in the US is much worse.

Something is not right in this world.

Hey, I am perfectly fine with those that are transgender, gay or whatever other name they give it... I get that... but the cost should be theirs.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
People, regular everyday people don't have the medication and health care that they need to live...

Yet, these others want to have this special surgery and medication payed for by the government....

No matter if its 8.4 million or billion... this money could be better spend on the truly needy.

We have the same thing going on in Canada... I had to pay $2000.00 for each of my three kids to get their wisdom teeth out...

Now, what happens if you don't get your wisdom teeth removed, when they need to be..... constant pain, head aches, improper bite alignment.. a life of hurt..

Yet.... not paid for by our health plan... but some other person wants to change their gender.... a decision made by them.. no health issues to avoid... and they get the bill picked up?

Hey, I am perfectly fine with those that are transgender, gay or whatever other name they give it... I get that... but the cost should be theirs.
Did you know that US congress payed 17 million dollars to settle sexual harassement charges in the last 27 years?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
And somehow that means that cannot serve and defend this country? The military spends more on erectile dysfunction medication, something I don't think is medically necessary. Last I checked, your erection is not needed for serving and defending this country, but that doesn't matter, the ignorant attacks on transgender people is nothing new from this administration. They also have directed the Justice Department to not defend against discrimination against transgender people in the workplace[URL="http://. This is coddling bigotry, much like those that argued for separate but equal.

Nonetheless, this group will soon fall, we will have to tell our transgender brothers and sisters to stand tall because a brighter future will eventually blot out the current dark times"]. This is coddling bigotry, much like those that argued for separate but equal.

Nonetheless, this group will soon fall, we will have to tell our transgender brothers and sisters to stand tall because a brighter future will eventually blot out the current dark times
.[/URL]

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Those are all medically necessary, even cleft palate, the presence of which makes speaking and eating etc all nearly or entirely impossible. The others are reconstructive surgery after an injury or devastating illness. Transgendered people are asking drs to reconstruct perfectly healthy and working-order body parts because they don't feel right having them. That's entirely and wholly elective. I am in no way saying they should be jailed or persecuted for this, but neither should we have to pay for it via the military. We do not pay for breast enhancement when women feel their breasts are too small. Etc.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree it's not all that significant. But the trend is significant, enough so that GLAAD is not pleased about it, of course.

Sure, but like many advocacy groups, they could be prone to over-dramatizing the situation.

I see the most problems potentially in how Trump and the media have raised the profile of transgender issues in way that draws attention to that community. That could be responsible for alot of the rise, because people could become more polarized about something that was previously not talked about much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

They spend ten times that amount on erectile dysfunction (ED) medication. That does not sound like truly needy to me.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Those are all medically necessary, even cleft palate, the presence of which makes speaking and eating etc all nearly or almost impossible. The others are reconstructive surgery after an injury or devastating illness. Transgendered people are asking drs to reconstruct perfectly healthy and working-order body parts because they don't feel right having them. That's entirely and wholly elective. I am in no way saying they should be jailed or persecuted for this, but neither should be have to pay for it via the military. We do not pay for breast enhancement when women feel their breasts are too small. Etc.

Gender dysphoria is associated with significant morbidity and mortality. Comparing it to breast augmentation trivializes the issue.

In addition, many transgender people simply need hormones (which are very cheap) and a supportive work and social environment, making remedying their situation relatively trivial.

• Agree
Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Those are all medically necessary, even cleft palate, the presence of which makes speaking and eating etc all nearly or almost impossible. The others are reconstructive surgery after an injury or devastating illness. Transgendered people are asking drs to reconstruct perfectly healthy and working-order body parts because they don't feel right having them. That's entirely and wholly elective. I am in no way saying they should be jailed or persecuted for this, but neither should be have to pay for it via the military. We do not pay for breast enhancement when women feel their breasts are too small. Etc.
What you don't bother to realise is that transgender people who have to live in the wrong gender can hurt just as bad as women who have lost their breasts to cancer, or men who have to live with heavy facial scaring from a fire or accident.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Gender dysphoria is associated with significant morbidity and mortality. Comparing it to breast augmentation trivializes the issue.

In addition, many transgender people simply need hormones (which are very cheap) and a supportive work and social environment, making remedying their situation relatively trivial.

I agree but I'm not sure that gender reassignment surgery really fixes the issue, does it? I mean enough that it's worth millions of dollars for our military to spend money on these surgeries?

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Macril

Jan 17, 2018
Oslo
✟2,546.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree