Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would have said Huckabee but I'm just being realistic. The only possible people on the ticket will be Barak, or Clinton and Romney, Giuliani or McCain. That's a pretty safe bet there. If Huckabee or Ron Paul won the nomination, unfortunately, Barak or Clinto would have their free ride to the White House. Ron Paul is a TERRIBLE orator (with SOME fantastic ideas) and people wouldn't really get his point. He is too easily taken off track in debates and befuddles his words (not in a dumb Bush way, but in a frustrated way). I also don't get the impression that he knows how to listen, nor does he care to do so. So, he would be quite iron-fisted... and get nothing done. Someone with his great ideas needs to also know how to work with others and compromise. Fortunately or not, this is not Russian politics. If you can't compromise, nothing happens.

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rusmeister said:
Hey, K3, they won't explain it to me - you might as well not hold your breath.

I just think political passions are something the Church will gradually cure us of if we let it. (For me this happened after the 2004 election; up to that time I had been a political animal.)

It's part of "the Christmas Culture" of the West; the focus on trying to turn this world into the Kingdom of God through our efforts. This is not to say that nothing should be done, but we, in general, seriously overestimate the importance of political action.

There is truth in the Evangelical hymn "This world is not my home, I'm just a-passin' through..."

That I agree with. It's comforting to realize that, in the end, it really doesn't matter. However, it does matter when this tax increase or that tax cut decided by a guy I elected played a direct role in my neighbors ability to buy a house. It matter that liberal judges were elected (in NY? I forget where) decades ago that allowed for barely a majority to pass Roe v Wade changing/reflecting (I beleive it's both) the American culture in a matter of 10 years. (Although it's important to point out that one of those judges stated in his campaign that he would not support abortion "rights" and he was the surprise vote that passed Roe v Wade... so in that way, yes the electorate was duped and power was taken out of the people's hands. But they still voted for the other 4 (or whatever number of judges) that came into office.

But it is true that in the presidential elections we are very disconnected from teh win or loss of any candidate. Much of that has to do with the electoral college, but a lot of that has to do with our penchant for preserving the power of States over the whole (Vermont, for example, should be utterly and totally insignificant in a national election... and I wouldn't feel bad about that... but they actual have much more power than they should, even if it's very minimal still). I would continue and say that it matters that because we elected Bush we elected a war that probably wouldn't have happened (this is made clear to anyone when it becomes obvious that this war was in the works under the New American Century for years before Bush even arrived to the scene) and it matters that because we elected Bush and not Gore or Kerry we have two less pro-choice adovocate Judges than we would have... or at least it could matter one day. However that's hard to argue when we have this screwy electoral system. I voted (reluctantly) for Bush both times... and neither time did my vote have ANYTHING to do with his going to the WhiteHouse since my state went Democrat both times. (However, I just want to send a disclaimer that I am NOT suggesting that Gore would have won had we not had the electoral system. Many people don't vote in the national elections who DO vote in local elections becasue they feel their vote won't count... so who knows who would have won if we had popular vote... no one).

I admit that for me, national elections are more fun than anything. My state will go to Hillary or Barak most likely and I surely won't vote for any of them. Therefore, my vote will have NOTHING to do with ANYTHING... at all. Because Vermont would cry otherwise. But, that's how the game is played.

However, local politics does matter a great deal. Anyone who doesn't realize this needs to wake up. I find for me the more localized the vote, the less fun although scarier the vote can be. Oftentimes who your Drain comissioner is can have MUCH more effect on your life than who your senator or president is. And the more localized an election, the more your one vote really does matter. We just had a nearby election in which the Sheriff was a dead tie. I don't know hwo they resolved it but although uncommon, not unheard of.

Anyway, I do think democracy matters and it happens int he US, but I agree that the less local it gets the less we have a hand in anything and (even if we did) the less it effects our immediate lives.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
That I agree with. It's comforting to realize that, in the end, it really doesn't matter. However, it does matter when this tax increase or that tax cut decided by a guy I elected played a direct role in my neighbors ability to buy a house. It matter that liberal judges were elected (in NY? I forget where) decades ago that allowed for barely a majority to pass Roe v Wade changing/reflecting (I beleive it's both) the American culture in a matter of 10 years. (Although it's important to point out that one of those judges stated in his campaign that he would not support abortion "rights" and he was the surprise vote that passed Roe v Wade... so in that way, yes the electorate was duped and power was taken out of the people's hands. But they still voted for the other 4 (or whatever number of judges) that came into office.

But it is true that in the presidential elections we are very disconnected from teh win or loss of any candidate. Much of that has to do with the electoral college, but a lot of that has to do with our penchant for preserving the power of States over the whole (Vermont, for example, should be utterly and totally insignificant in a national election... and I wouldn't feel bad about that... but they actual have much more power than they should, even if it's very minimal still). I would continue and say that it matters that because we elected Bush we elected a war that probably wouldn't have happened (this is made clear to anyone when it becomes obvious that this war was in the works under the New American Century for years before Bush even arrived to the scene) and it matters that because we elected Bush and not Gore or Kerry we have two less pro-choice adovocate Judges than we would have... or at least it could matter one day. However that's hard to argue when we have this screwy electoral system. I voted (reluctantly) for Bush both times... and neither time did my vote have ANYTHING to do with his going to the WhiteHouse since my state went Democrat both times. (However, I just want to send a disclaimer that I am NOT suggesting that Gore would have won had we not had the electoral system. Many people don't vote in the national elections who DO vote in local elections becasue they feel their vote won't count... so who knows who would have won if we had popular vote... no one).

I admit that for me, national elections are more fun than anything. My state will go to Hillary or Barak most likely and I surely won't vote for any of them. Therefore, my vote will have NOTHING to do with ANYTHING... at all. Because Vermont would cry otherwise. But, that's how the game is played.

However, local politics does matter a great deal. Anyone who doesn't realize this needs to wake up. I find for me the more localized the vote, the less fun although scarier the vote can be. Oftentimes who your Drain comissioner is can have MUCH more effect on your life than who your senator or president is. And the more localized an election, the more your one vote really does matter. We just had a nearby election in which the Sheriff was a dead tie. I don't know hwo they resolved it but although uncommon, not unheard of.

Anyway, I do think democracy matters and it happens int he US, but I agree that the less local it gets the less we have a hand in anything and (even if we did) the less it effects our immediate lives.

It might be interesting to know which post you are replying to. :)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It might be interesting to know which post you are replying to. :)
Sorry Prot. Thanks for pointing that out. My comp here often doesn't "quick quote" even though i click the button. So I forget to check to see if it did. I clicked quick quote for this one too. We will see what it does....

Thanks again :)

xpy

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry Prot. Thanks for pointing that out. My comp here often doesn't "quick quote" even though i click the button. So I forget to check to see if it did. I clicked quick quote for this one too. We will see what it does....

Thanks again :)

xpy
No prob, Xpy.

Yea, I don't like the Quick Quote feature myself, I like to have what I am replying to right in front of me while I am typing, otherwise, I end up forgetting what I'm replying to. I always either use the Post Quotes, or (more often) copy-paste what I am quoting, and do it all manually (this last way is how I got used to doing it in PDA mode).

I always end up being the person who does things the hard way, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpyridonOCA

Aug 18, 2007
✟3,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right now, McCain is my number one choice. A year ago, when Obama and Hillary were already the Democratic frontrunners, I wrote in an op-ed piece that when appeals to race and gender are swept aside, McCain emerges as the more qualified candidate. I stand by that.

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The write-in option isn't up there.
great saint. I don't know why, I feel some sort of attraction to him.. Always have. Do I know you under some other name? You have a lot of posts so I can see you are not new... at least not to CF.

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟28,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I went for Thompson, because he was the best. Unfortunately, I live in the state that ended his campaign. :cry: Ron Paul makes me want to puke, and I didn't much care for anyone else.

Really, I want to see anybody but Hillary. I've been supporting Obama against her. I'm not a fan of him but I would really rather risk having him president than Hillary. If Hillary wins, I'm moving to Mexico.

Upvote 0

SpyridonOCA

Aug 18, 2007
✟3,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.