Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So out of curiosity, I am wondering who y'all will vote for (as of now, according to current information, etc.) to be President of the United States of America for the 2008 Presidential Election. :) You don't have to explain unless you just want to, this is mostly just to satisfy my curiosity. :p

Ron Paul here. :D (if I could vote... I'll be about 6 months short of the right age. Bah.)

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,711.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You didn't have the option of voting for nobody.

I would exclude Hillary from the list on the grounds that

a) she is a woman*

and

b) she is from an existing oligarchy - in a nation of 300 million people, at least one fifth of which should be theoretically eligible to be president, you shouldn't have two people from the same family get the job. We have enough oligarchy as it is.

Not that it matters. Whoever is elected will have quite limited power to change anything and so business will largely go on as usual. Some country or other will be invaded, corruption on high levels will still be a fact, etc...

I like how it is put in "The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy":

The President, in particular, is very much a figurehead - he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely-judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it.
... Very very few people realise that the President and the Government have virtually no power at all, and of these few people only six know whence ultimate political power is wielded.

* This to say that women are too good for politics, not the other way around.

Reactions: Lotar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,711.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It would be nice if someone could explain to me how this supposed "democracy and government" in North America works.

. . .
Hey, K3, they won't explain it to me - you might as well not hold your breath.

I just think political passions are something the Church will gradually cure us of if we let it. (For me this happened after the 2004 election; up to that time I had been a political animal.)

It's part of "the Christmas Culture" of the West; the focus on trying to turn this world into the Kingdom of God through our efforts. This is not to say that nothing should be done, but we, in general, seriously overestimate the importance of political action.

There is truth in the Evangelical hymn "This world is not my home, I'm just a-passin' through..."

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:| Ron Paul is the most suitable candidate, just like he bashed Abraham Lincoln and his policies on live tv, he will denounce most of the corrupt examples of American history... :sick: :help:we won't be true Americans until we experience Ron Paul. :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Silentchapel

Saviour of the World, have mercy on us!
Jul 26, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
✟9,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
skeletor08.jpg

That would be SO cool!

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I voted for Thompson.... for VP... :p
If my naturalization comes through in time I'm really going to have to think about things again... I've got issues with all the Republican candidates who remain... McCain leans across the aisle a bit too much, Romney I'm not sure how he'll look at Christianity in the end, Huckabee can go live with all his illegal immigrants, Guiliani looks very doubtful right now although I like him on a lot of issues, Ron Paul will probably be wearing one of those straight jackets like his supporters are by the time this campaign is over...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.