Poll: Did your parents/grandparents smoke?

Did a parent or grandparent smoke?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
GULF BREEZE
✟106,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My grandmother was a smoker. My grandfather was a smoker. My mother was a smoker. My father was a smoker. My sister was a smoker.

I come from a family of smokers. But I'm not a smoker nor have I ever been. So yeah.

Upvote 0

pleinmont

Jan 8, 2020
North Wales
✟23,411.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
My maternal grandmother smoked but was never permitted to do so in my childhood home. My parents never smoked, nor do my siblings, my husband, myself or our children, thank goodness. We have never permitted anyone to smoke in our home either.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Never had a desire for smoking, though I do recall relatives on my dad's side smoking, though they did it away from the kids for various reasons.

And unfortunately, even if you don't smoke, there can be issues, since I think my grandfather on my mom's side, due to a combination of fumes or such from his construction work and, I believe, using chewing tobacco or such, still had some aggressive lung problems, not quite cancer, possibly emphysema.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
My mom was (and still is) a smoker. I can remember as a child, nagging her to quit.

She likes to tell the story (again when I was a kid) of how she noticed that soda was building up in the fridge, and she asked me what was up, and I said I had stopped drinking soda, just to see if I could.

What I don't think she ever realized was that I was probably doing it as a demonstration for her benefit.

She has cut down a lot, but a recent bout of bronchitis has got her thinking more seriously about finally quitting.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay so especially for those who want to quit smoking or have been successful in quitting or in never starting in the first place, did you ever have a parent or a grandparent who smoked? and were you influenced one way or another by this?

Yes, they all smoked, some like chimneys!

So, I guess that means I was a smoker too, a 'chain' smoker at that ... even if it was 2nd hand. :dontcare:

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am convinced that quitting smoking is mostly a head game and that once you've got your head in the right place you've already got it mostly beat. In 1985 I was 42 and had smoked for 25 years. I had attempted to stop smoking a number of times. I was able to handle it for up to a couple of months before caving in. Then one weekend we were visiting my wife's parents. They informed us that my father-in-law had just been diagnosed with lung cancer. He was a lifelong nonsmoker but had worked for 40 years in a room that was known as the "blue room" because of the constant haze of tobacco smoke. He was a victim of 'Other Peoples' smoke. I was devastated --- I had smoked in his house and in front of him. I felt that in some way I was at least partly guilty for his condition. My wife and daughters stayed on for some extra days while I drove home to go back to work. When I got home my head was in the right place. I took all my pipes, pipe-stand and humidor into the back yard and smashed them on a rock with a hammer. The rest was actually remarkably easy.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am convinced that quitting smoking is mostly a head game and that once you've got your head in the right place you've already got it mostly beat. In 1985 I was 42 and had smoked for 25 years. I had attempted to stop smoking a number of times. I was able to handle it for up to a couple of months before caving in. Then one weekend we were visiting my wife's parents. They informed us that my father-in-law had just been diagnosed with lung cancer. He was a lifelong nonsmoker but had worked for 40 years in a room that was known as the "blue room" because of the constant haze of tobacco smoke. He was a victim of 'Other Peoples' smoke. I was devastated --- I had smoked in his house and in front of him. I felt that in some way I was at least partly guilty for his condition. My wife and daughters stayed on for some extra days while I drove home to go back to work. When I got home my head was in the right place. I took all my pipes, pipe-stand and humidor into the back yard and smashed them on a rock with a hammer. The rest was actually remarkably easy.
Is that a yes or a no?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is that a yes or a no?

Is this the question?
"and were you influenced one way or another by this?"

I grew up on an age where most smoked so I suspect that my parents smoking did influence me taking it up but I suspect it was mostly the military.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My grandmother was a smoker. My grandfather was a smoker. My mother was a smoker. My father was a smoker. My sister was a smoker.
For a long time it just seemed a natural thing to do: men, women, young ppl...

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,154,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My parents don't smoke, nor drink.

Can't say about my Grandparents, 3 out of 4 of them were dead by the time I turned 10. And only saw two of them once in my life. Other than my grandfather on my mother's side. She said he used to smoke starting around the age of 7, lol.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the bad old days they even had medical doctors touting the "health benefits" of smoking. I'm serious!
There was a time when so very widely it was regarded as perfectly normal and desirable to smoke.

In between World Wars 1 and 2 there were even public classes to teach women how to smoke.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And don’t get me started on the cigarette butts :whyy:
Well, yes. I do think though that it's draconian to fine ppl over cigarette butts; it's as if politicians think everyone has enough spare cash to pay the salaries of ppl who administer going after smokers.

Upvote 0