POLL: Did the ancient Hebrews believe that the earth was flat?

POLL: Did any of the Bible writers believe that the earth was flat and describe it as such?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I didn't claim, I said it because you stated in your post that the water canopy is a fable and yet Genesis 1 shows the water canopy as being real.
If you don't believe that then show us how it doesn't say it's a canopy, and not just deny it. I completely understand what fables are as I've been reading a lot of yours. It's well known that the early Hebrews had all kinds of fables and Fantasies because I couldn't rightly understand what Genesis was telling them given their lack of any kind of scientific knowledge. We know better today and unless you think that we live in a different physical world the God created in Genesis 1 then there's no reason for you to foist these fables on others.

In verses 9 + 10, God is not forming anything, he is simply rearranging what he has already created, into land and seas that He names. He had already created the water and the soil in Genesis 1:1

You are reading Waters of Creation into the word and that's not what it says. It says simply water and Earth which was the big ball in the universe we call Earth. You are eisegeting.

In the biblical cosmology, the earth is flat, not spherical. Funny, you missed that; it's stressed in about 70 passages.

Upvote 0

StanJ

Student & Correct Handler of God's Word.
May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Goodness!
You don't address what I post or link to corroborate, and yet you claim the waters were not sea waters....
The seas were many, with rivers/currents in them. there are fresh water rivers that run in the oceans.
There were rivers from the beginning of creation that still come out of heaven [Atmospheric rivers can carry more water than the Amazon], and yes, they are fresh water rivers and they also make seas with inlets and outlets and form the heads of rivers below, like the atmospheric river out of Eden, in the third heaven, that watered Paradise and then became the four heads of the four rivers named in Genesis, on earth below.
The global waters were created filled with all the elements of creation that God would form out of them.
Land, vegetation, fowl to fly in the heavens, all sea creatures, all beasts and creeping things on the earth below, and Adam.

Everything is formed out of the elements of the waters of creation. Every element known to man still is found in sea water/salt water -but not in fresh water.

I addressed all the previous ones, but because you're going in circles now I'm not going to bother repeating myself. This post has no corroboration in it whatsoever, it's just all your fanciful fairy tales. Genesis 1:2 doesn't say salt water it says Waters so unless you can prove some where in scripture that those Waters were salty and full of other elements from the earth then you have no case. Of course if you believe in the Gap Theory and that that ball of earth and water set around for millions of years then you may have a case but the Bible doesn't indicate that. I've given you many proofs that what you say is wrong and you just ignore them, don't address them and repeat yourself. That is not what I call a productive or fruitful discussion at all.

Upvote 0

StanJ

May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
No, there was no water canopy in Genesis but the half of the waters of creation were raised above the stretched out heavens, and they are still there.
It is not a "canopy" of waters that was, and there were four seasons from the beginning of creation, so no such a thing as a canopy above the atmosphere theory is taught in the Word; That theory is proved wrong by a simple belief of the first chapter of Genesis...Waters above the stretched out heavens are still there, as I linked the Scripture for.
Again your perception which has already been shown to be a tad iffy. READ what God's Word says;
“Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. God called the vault “sky.”
That canopy of water that he created was what he used to flood the Earth during Noah's time. You'll find the following in Genesis 7;
In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, on the seventeenth day of the second month—on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.
Part of the reason many people did not listen to Noah has to do with what Genesis 2:5 says. You should read it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
And please do not claim that I said Genesis 1 is a fable. That is bearing false witness, for I never said that anytime, anywhere.
Fables are made up about creation by many born again in Christ believers, in error, which fables are in direct contradiction to what Genesis 1 -3 state -and many fall under other deceptions that are just not what is in the Word of God but which are taught as in the Word, but are just made up fables that have become tradition which with no foundation in the Word.

I use the Scripture to show that God did not name anything formed until He formed it; first, out of the powers of the Firmament; [light], and the heavens/two waters/sha-mayim; and out of the waters of creation He formed the the dry and filled the earth with all vegetation on day 3.

In the beginning the created elements in the waters were all confounded/mixed up in the waters of creation, over which face of the waters the Holy Spirit brooded, giving life to the elements for the forming of them into every created thing -even the dry land is formed of elements existing naturally in the waters of creation, out of which waters the "dry" -not mud, was called to be, and all formed perfectly and ready for the calling forth out of it the vegetation on day 3 of creation, right after it was formed of the natural elements occurring in sea water.

Gen. 1 is a fable. it is definitely not an accurate account of creation. Furthermore, the issue here isn't the Word of God; the issue here is forming an accurate understanding of how God works in and through Scripture, whether your interpretation of the Bible is at all accurate. Frankly, I don't think you are anywhere near the mark here. I don't think that God wrote Scripture in Heaven and dropped it on our heads. I don't think God dictated it word for word to the scribes. I don't think God intended it to be a scientific witness. Rather, it represents a conjoint program between God and an ancient, prescientific culture. Hence, it is ridiculous to expect it would reveal advanced scientific knowledge.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I addressed all the previous ones, but because you're going in circles now I'm not going to bother repeating myself. This post has no corroboration in it whatsoever, it's just all your fanciful fairy tales. Genesis 1:2 doesn't say salt water it says Waters so unless you can prove some where in scripture that those Waters were salty and full of other elements from the earth then you have no case. Of course if you believe in the Gap Theory and that that ball of earth and water set around for millions of years then you may have a case but the Bible doesn't indicate that. I've given you many proofs that what you say is wrong and you just ignore them, don't address them and repeat yourself. That is not what I call a productive or fruitful discussion at all.
Scripture does not teach your theory, and that theory stops short of explaining away the waters that are above the heavens, even today. The waters are the boundaries of the stretched out heavens, and even are used to conduct the powers of "Light" to the stars who send it to the sun, which receives it and refracts it back out to all the heavens, as a Menorah, as the Word states.

In the Bible language, the waters were created first, with the elements in them for all created things to be formed from. The earth was without form....to form it is to call the elements into the "being" of it.
That's what the Word of God states.

There was no "ball of earth and water" in the beginning of creation. -just the waters and the powers whch are later stretched out and called "two waters" =heavens.
In Genesis 1, the language paints the picture for us of the waters, held together and "suspended on nothing" by the spoken word of His power, and tells us of the darkness surrounding the waters with the Holy Spirit brooding over the face of the waters.

The earth was formed out of the waters and in the waters, as Scripture states.

I linked for you at least two places that prove that all the known natural elements for the creation of all that is, is in the waters of creation. Out of those "half of the "cut in two waters" below the stretched out heavens, the "dry" was formed. The "dry was named "Earth" on day 3, when it was formed/beat out/stretched out [as Bible language states in several places] , "standing above the waters and in the waters "

The waters were divided in two on day 2, -and the firmament was stretched out between the divided waters. The half of the waters that are yet above the stretched out heavens [even today] had windows opened to let out waters for the flood of Noah; but He also opened the fountains of the deep which were under the earth, and as those two waters are charged with opposite powers of God's creation, they met together in mighty electromagnetic powers of opposite poles, and continued their attraction of becoming united again, for forty days and forty nights.

Then God closed the windows of heaven and the fountains of the deep. The waters above the heavens were not depleted, for they are there, yet, as The Scripture states, "above the heavens". The amount of water God created in the beginning, out of which elements within them He formed all things is not possible for us to conceive, methinks.
The heavens are stretched out in stories, as the Scripture states, and Paradise is in the third heaven/story/steps of stretched out heavens.
The waters that are above the stretched out heavens are still above even Paradise, in heaven's Eden in the third heaven, above.

The waters were called seas on day 3, and in those waters called seas, the elements for the form of every created thing were created out of nothing -then each thing was formed, out of the waters.
The waters were commanded to bring forth every flying fowl that would fly in the face of the heavens, and every sea creature. The elements for all those things are even in the waters of the seas today.
That is just scientific fact.

The waters were commanded to be gathered together in one place, and the dry was made/formed/stretched, out of the waters and over waters that are yet under "the dry", which was named "Earth" on day 3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StanJ

May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Scripture does not teach your theory, and that theory stops short of explaining away the waters that are above the heavens, even today. The waters are the boundaries of the stretched out heavens, and even are used to conduct the powers of "Light" to the stars who send it to the sun, which receives it and refracts it back out to all the heavens, as a Menorah, as the Word states.

Apparently you don't believe anything that you've seen about space exploration? Do not watch TV or read anything to do with space exploration?
There's nothing above the heavens because the heavens are the universe and we have pretty much determined that the universe goes on infinitely. The Bible clearly says that the waters above the sky where the water that came down in the flood. The heavens were above that as we know from all the space exploration we've done over the past fifty years or so. Have you been living in a vacuum that you're not aware of any of this? My opinion is that you were way too into Hebrew mysticism then you should be. Maybe you ought to try reading a little bit of the New Testament to even out your perspective.
Job 9:9 states;
He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion, the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
You may want to study about these and find out exactly where they are in relation to Earth and how it would be impossible for the waters that Genesis said were above the sky, to be farther than what Job talked about and that astronomers have been able to see for well over a hundred years.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently you don't believe anything that you've seen about space exploration? Do not watch TV or read anything to do with space exploration?
There's nothing above the heavens because the heavens are the universe and we have pretty much determined that the universe goes on infinitely. The Bible clearly says that the waters above the sky where the water that came down in the flood. The heavens were above that as we know from all the space exploration we've done over the past fifty years or so. Have you been living in a vacuum that you're not aware of any of this? My opinion is that you were way too into Hebrew mysticism then you should be. Maybe you ought to try reading a little bit of the New Testament to even out your perspective.
Job 9:9 states;
He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion, the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.
You may want to study about these and find out exactly where they are in relation to Earth and how it would be impossible for the waters that Genesis said were above the sky, to be farther than what Job talked about and that astronomers have been able to see for well over a hundred years.

Firstly: it is against forum rules to attack me for my beliefs and to make false accusations about my beliefs, which you have done several times. I am not into Hebrew mysticism and your claim is naughty..address the posts, not my person.

No, I do not watch TV. wasn't raised on it and have no interest in it.
" I read, therefore I am" , as someone once said, tongue in cheek.

As to what I read, I read what I love, and some are: the Word of God -all the books of it, including what is called second canon, and those even in the Orthodox religions [there is no consensus of agreement on what is "canon" in all the Church age in all the world in all the Churches of Christ]; history of the ancient world in relation to the Word of God, like Josephus, Saga America, America BC, Ancient Americans, and so on and so forth; The DSS, the Book of Enoch the prophet, the seventh from Adam [which is canon in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and one other, I think a poster here ,SummaScriptura, once said, who does research on the ancient books and who has a website with many of them on it]; and the [real] Book of Jasher/the Upright, which I believe is true history and which correlates totally with the Torah accounts.

I read other history books of the world, ancient and modern [in English translations], that to me, prove the Gospel, even if the books were not written with any idea of the Gospel in mind.
I also inform myself with wonderful websites like http://www.s8int.com/atomic1.html, which is like a museum of ancient knowledge of the history of artifacts on the things that went before us, pre-flood, and after.

As to my personal recreational reading when I just want to not think, or want to laugh, I like historical fiction, and wonderful biographies told well. I read Tesla, and about him, and I subscribe to the Electric Universe "theory", for that is what I see in the Word of God.
I esp like Christian historical fiction, but other books that use the history of the times to tell a good story; and I love CS Lewis, George McDonald, Jane Austin, Beatrix Potter [I raised seven children and have 20 grandchildren, so I'm big on Peter Rabbit and Winnie Pooh -print version only -and many others.

That aside; Enoch the prophet, the seventh from Adam was taken on a tour of the Cosmos, and he told us what he was shown, which is written down as "the Wisdom of God", for His creation and it's workings. Enoch saw the constellations and their purposes and seasons.

Yes, the waters of creation were created with the elements of all that was to be formed out of them, says the Word of God, for the Holy Spirit "brooded" over the face of the waters -like a mother hen broods on her eggs in which life has been germinated.

Psalm 148 states the waters are above the heavens, "
still"

Praise to the Lord from Creation

148 Praise the Lord!

Praise the Lord from the heavens;
Praise Him in the heights!
Praise Him, all His angels;
Praise Him, all His hosts!
Praise Him, sun and moon;
Praise Him, all you stars of light!
Praise Him, you heavens of heavens,
And you waters above the heavens!

Let them praise the name of the Lord,
For He commanded and they were created.
He also established them forever and ever;
He made a decree which shall not pass away.

Praise the Lord from the earth,
You great sea creatures and all the depths;
Fire and hail, snow and clouds;
Stormy wind, fulfilling His word;
Mountains and all hills;
Fruitful trees and all cedars;
Beasts and all cattle;
Creeping things and flying fowl;
Kings of the earth and all peoples;
Princes and all judges of the earth;
Both young men and maidens;
Old men and children.

Let them praise the name of the Lord,
For His name alone is exalted;
His glory is above the earth and heaven.
And He has exalted the horn of His people,
The praise of all His saints—
Of the children of Israel,
A people near to Him.

Praise the Lord!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that God wrote Scripture in Heaven and dropped it on our heads. I don't think God dictated it word for word to the scribes. I don't think God intended it to be a scientific witness. Rather, it represents a conjoint program between God and an ancient, prescientific culture. Hence, it is ridiculous to expect it would reveal advanced scientific knowledge.
Dear Hoghead1,
There is no pre-scientific culture, but only devolution since the flood of Noah, then again after the fall of the Tower of Bab-El.

And yes indeed, there is the Scripture of Truth written in heaven, as the messenger from heaven told Daniel in Daniel 10:21:
Daniel 10:21 literally states: "I will show you what is written/inscribed/noted in the Scripture of Truth, and one binds with me in these things, Michael your prince".

Then the messenger from heaven proceeds to show Daniel the things to befall his people in the latter days, which Michael "binds" with that messenger for those things to be upheld on earth that are written in heaven, and which Daniel repeated for us in chapters 11, 12.

Enoch the prophet, the seventh from Adam saw the "tablets written in heaven, written by God the Word for the angels to read and to know what would befall the Adam race from the beginning to the end.

Adam also was in heaven, in Paradise, in the third heaven, and set there to rule over earth with free going and coming between them, until he was cast down and out/divorced from the Spirit of Father of Glory -but with the promise of the Ransom to come.
Adam wrote what he had read about the creation that was written in God's "Codex" in the Book in heaven, and from that, Moses has copied for us the words God wrote in that book about what He did -and it is God's wisdom, wiser than the foolisness of men.

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Please tell me more about how the round planet earth is swelled out or expanded above the waters, if that is your explanation.

If not please clarify,
1. Does stretched out mean expanded or swelled
2. Does the earth here refer to the planet earth or to ground.
3. In what way is the planet or soil expanded or stretched so that it is above the water.

Finally, let's move on to the other verse- what are the earth's foundations and how do they stop it from "shaking" always ? Do earthquakes count and can a comet hit the earth to shake it from its orbit?
It looks to me like many extreme factual supernatural miracles are myths with spiritual value.
In the Old Testament we hear about the waters separated onto the heavens' upper firm layer made on Day 2, about how there were day night cycles for several days before day 4 when the sun was made, about how the world was flat and how the sun goes around the earth. Then we hear about Noah and the ark and the great flood that covered the world. Personally, I don't believe that these things are factual reality, so it makes me think that the Bible sometimes presents things as fact that are not.

Going purely by literary analysis , we can show each of the things I listed above are in the Bible. Some people believe the story about waters being over the firm layer on Day 2, but most people don't and so they try to think of ways to argue that the Bible does not actually teach this. One of their theories is an ice canopy. Another theory that Calvin proposed was that the waters just refer to clouds that everyone can see normally.

The flat earth theory seems to be what people believe the least. So they often are loathe to say that the Bible teaches this. How can you show that the Bible does? One way is to use questions and answers, called the Socratic method. I n the message above I asked some questions along these lines.

When it comes to the earth staying still and the sun moving around it, some people like Yeshuasavedme above believe this. Where would she get that idea but the Bible, as it's not in our science books?

And then take the story of Noah's ark and the flood that covered the world. How did the animals get into the ark, did God make them walk there? And how did they survive on the Ark? An elephant eats a huge amount of food every day. And this is not to mention how many species of animals there are. And then how did the flightless birds get to New Zealand other than flying there and then evolving to lose their flying power over millenia or eons? How did all the plants survive for 40 days of drowning? etc.

These are major examples of why I don't think every account narrated as factual is in fact factual.
The downside with this issue is that it seems very many people are hard to convince to take an opposite position on this. For example, when I ask the questions to Tim, he does not seem interested in answering all of them. When Yesh. said that the sun went around the earth, a belief she got from the Bible, Stan said that it's ludicrous.

Upvote 0

StanJ

May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Firstly: it is against forum rules to attack me for my beliefs and to make false accusations about my beliefs, which you have done several times. I am not into Hebrew mysticism and your claim is naughty..address the posts, not my person.

Wasn't attacking you I was refuting you and it's not against the Forum rules to do so. I've made no false accusations they were all true. It sure sounds like you're into Hebrew mysticism based on everything you write. It is not even consistent with how Hebrew Scholars interpret Genesis.
You're the one that refuses to deal with any of the fact that I post and simply reiterate everything you've already said which means all you're doing is going around in circles and I have no intention of playing that game. As I can't see that we're going to get anywhere based on how inculcated you are into your own worldview, I'll just brush my shoes off and move on. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have not replied to the Scriptures I've posted and you accuse me of being into something called Hebrew Mysticism which I have no idea what you mean, except a put down instead of replies to the Word.
Hebrew scholars interpret Genesis????
It needs no interpretation! It stands as written, plainly.

Upvote 0

StanJ

May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
You have not replied to the Scriptures I've posted and you accuse me of being into something called Hebrew Mysticism which I have no idea what you mean, except a put down instead of replies to the Word.
Hebrew scholars interpret Genesis????
It needs no interpretation! It stands as written, plainly.
I didn't see many scriptures in your replies just a whole lot of opening but nothing an exegeted scripture.
Yes Hebrew Scholars interpret Genesis because it's written in Hebrew. Hello?
If it is written plainly then why don't you believe it as plainly written instead of trying to insert your mysticism into it?

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[QUOTE="rakovsky, post: 69663487, member: 31810
When it comes to the earth staying still and the sun moving around it, some people like Yeshuasavedme above believe this. Where would she get that idea but the Bible, as it's not in our science books?.
The science of the sun circling the earth:
"Galileo Was Wrong, The Church Was Right"; http://galileowaswrong.com/
from the Amazon link:"Galileo Was Wrong is a detailed and comprehensive treatise that demonstrates from the scientific evidence that heliocentrism (the concept that the Earth rotates on its axis and revolves around the sun) is an unproven scientific theory; and that geocentrism (the view that the Earth is in the center of the universe and does not move by either rotation or revolution) is not only supported by the scientific evidence but is admitted to be a logical and viable cosmology by many of the world's top scientists, including Albert Einstein, Ernst Mach, Edwin Hubble, Fred Hoyle and many more."
I learned from a Sungenis lecture that NASA uses geo-centric coordinates to launch space craft.

I do not post the link for promoting a sale of it, but to call attention to it. I think all the main information is to be found for free online, in print and in films. I own it in DVD form. I am not Roman Catholic as Robert Sungenis and Robert Bennet are, and I promote none of their religious convictions about any matter, but they put this book together with many facts that corroborate the Word of God -and the Word of God itself says the sun circles the earth in the circuit of the heavens, in it's own path.
Enoch the prophet the seventh from Adam, saw the unchanging yearly course of the sun in the heavens, and wrote the path of it down in his book.

The sun and moon stood for about a whole day and did not go down, as Joshua said. The earth does not move, but one day it will, in the Tribulation, as both the Book of Enoch and the Old Testament reveal..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StanJ

May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Scripture is interpreted by Scripture and God gives revelation of it to those who are seeking understanding.
Your "Hebrew Scholars" are straw men you are setting up, methinks, and there is no interpretation needed for the plain word.
Well this is obviously not getting anywhere because you're stuck on an endless loop and you don't even know what a strawman is.
I'm absolutely sure of one thing though... you're in for one heck of a surprise!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
StanJ,
Don't you ever have any Scriptures to support why you believe what you believe, rather than just attacking me. That is not debate.
You accused me of not using Scripture but I have lots of it linked -you, not so much...
Have a nice eternity - and God bless you!

Upvote 0

StanJ

May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
StanJ,
Don't you ever have any Scriptures to support why you believe what you believe, rather than just attacking me. That is not debate.
You accused me of not using Scripture but I have lots of it linked -you, not so much...
Have a nice eternity - and God bless you!
Why keep giving you the same scripture when you refuse to acknowledge it. It's obvious based on your posts on this thread that you don't understand Genesis so no matter how many scriptures you quote lack of understanding still isn't going to be dealt with and as you seem to ignore me with everything I say there really is no use telling you anything. The only reason I keep responding to you that you kept making fallacious posts about what's going on. So maybe if you don't want me responding to you you should just stop posting at least at me and any event.

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I wrote the following on another thread. You don't have to reply to it, but maybe you will find it relevant:
It is hard to prove to a person with an opposite, strongly held view on this topic. The best I think we can do is try to look at the issues as objectively as possible, open to conclusions that go against our preferences.

Take for example the question of whether anything in the Bible is factually incorrect when intended to be factually correct. Many Christians are divided on the question, since the Bible does not specifically claim that the Bible or anything inspired by God cannot include mistakes of fact.)

It would be like a Christian minister being inspired by the Spirit in him to say that God's way is as straight and pure as route 54, but unknown to the minister, route 54 is actually mostly quite curvy and in need of intense repair, just not at the part he has ever seen.

There are stories like Noah's ark and the Great Flood, and verses like those on the flat earth, that sound so fantastic that either: (A) Reality was warped in that time period just 5000 years ago or so, or (B) these are allegories, or (C) they are factually incorrect myths like parables with spiritual value.

If you pick (A), what you have picked does not normally sound realistic . It sounds abnormal to teach that the earth is flat, or that it was flat in 600 BC or so and afterwards straightened itself out. Nowadays the ideas of a spherical earth is proved so strongly that there is pretty unanimous agreement, with only a few hold outs.

Teaching that the pairs of every animal species in the world just walked onto Noah's ark across all the continents does not sound realistic, just like it does not sound realistic that after leaving the ark, flightless birds came to New Zealand and then lost their flying ability in a few thousand years alone. How did they feed themselves on the ark? Did it simply rain and spring up from the earth in such droves that it flooded the world? Did you know that the ark would not float based on Physical principles of torque and this is why no ship has been built of wood that big? The stories sound so much like fantasy, myth, or warped reality, that it's hard to make it sound realistic.

Architects have built many small wooden models of the ark and even some life sized ones, they've never succeeded in making one that floats on its own . In fact, they've had to float the big models on barges because they are actually unseaworthy.

image.axd.jpg

It's true that failure to build a successful life sized wood model does not disprove that it's possible. It's just a piece of evidence towards it being unrealistic.

I am fine with being proven wrong and seeing a Ark of wood floated long distance at sea. It seems to me though that the architectural issues and failures show that it's probably not realistic. This is just one of many issues. I am not aware of any known animals being seen as having lost flight ability in a few thousand years, nor does it appear realistic to think (as some proposed) that Australia went into a corner of the globe in a few thousand years, or far less than that time. That is why I say it demands a warped view of reality compared to how we currently understand the laws of nature to work. Or there were extreme supernatural actions involved, like marching the lions, giraffes, siberian tigers, etc. etc. onto the Ark.

If you pick (B),
viewing the verses as metaphorical, allegorical, or figurative, the problem is that the verses appear as if they are meant factually. In fact, I can lay out a list of questions in a Socratic style to show as a matter of literary analysis, one would normally interpret them to be intended as factual.

Take for example Psalm 104:5 "Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken."

What are the earth's foundations and how do they stop it from "shaking" always ? Do earthquakes count and can a comet hit the earth to shake it from its orbit? Or take for example the story of Noah's flood. It's quite a lengthy account and it nowhere says that it's a parable.

If comets don't count, then I suppose one could propose that by "not shaken" the verse just means its normal orbit when there are no comets? If so, how do the things that keep the earth stable also keep it on its orbit?

If you pick (C) and say that they are factually mistaken myths or parables, on the basis that the Bible never says that they are parables, while instead they are simply presented in a straightforward manner as if they were facts. The problem however is that in deciding that the Biblical stories in the Old Testament are fantasy, fictional miracles and made up supernatural ideas, then it means that the Bible contains fiction that is mistakenly portrayed as fact. And this in turn opens up the possibility that the stories of Jesus' extreme miracles are also made up fiction, and that we are not required to think that they are facts just by virtue of them being in the Bible. I think that many people do not want to pick C because they feel more emotionally comfortable asserting that the entire Bible is not only spiritually true, but that it is factually true also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On the OP:
No, "the" ancient Hebrews did NOT believe in a flat earth.
Not those who believed the Word of God is true from the beginning, but like any group, there are in that group some who would deny the Word of God is true from the beginning, and try to make up wisdom of men to 'splain it.
They fail -God wins, always!

You cannot make a flat earth out of Genesis 1, for from the beginning, the light and the darkness were circling the earth, making one day, from sunset to sunset.

Then, on day two of creation week, when the heavens were stretched out from the very center of the waters of creation, with half remaining below and half raised above the stretched out "Firmamanet" which was stretched out between the two waters [Hebrew Sha-Mayim], the light was stretched out with the stretched out heavens, and continued circling the earth below the heavens , making evenings and mornings by that circling of earth for the first four days of creation week.

That the light circled the globe is the doctrine of the Word of God, and continued to circle the globe when stretchd out with the heavens.

The sun itself was set in the circle of the earth -the heavens, with the moon, on the day they were made, which is day 4, to govern the stretched out light by day and by night.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear rakovsky,
The creation is supernaturally brought into being by the Word of God and is supernaturally held together by the Word of God [God the Son is the Word], and will be elementally dissolved and regenerated by the Word of God in the beginning of the New Creation, which is typed in the Oracles of God as "That Great Day" which is the Eighth Day after the Seven Days of Tabernacles.

Upvote 0