London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im not American but I guess it shows the better a person's education, the more informed they were and didnt give ill-educated black and white answers.

The questions was:
Which statement comes closer to your views, even if neither is exactly right?

Whether someone is a man or a woman is determined by the sex they were assigned at birth

Someone can be a man or a woman even if that is different from the sex they were assigned at birth

Those better educated realize that there are small but not insignificant numbers of people who have genetic gender abnormalities resulting in gender dysgenesis and gender mosaicism. So some can have very small male genitalia with women's breasts for example. Some can have indistinguishable genitalia, In other words a considerable number of people across the world, just as those informed people indicated, cannot be black and white labelled as male or female and find for themselves what gender they feel they are...which can change by the way.

And thats before we even begin to bring psychological elements into the discussion. But making cruel comments about dysmorphic gender types is - ill-informed

For the record, gender dysmorphs include

We live in a broken world in which a person can be born or become a eunuch. This was not the original creation nor is it our future when we all get fixed.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are Republicans with four years of education going to a better type of school, or is it just a matter of conservatives having more common sense?
Please read the original study. The OP misrepresents the findings of the study.

So much for "Republican common sense".

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And all that family breakup, narcissism, and depression is the fault of transgender people... how exactly?

The idea that genes equal destiny is ridiculous, much less the notion that they are some kind of template for how a person "should" be. By that logic, we would have no moral duty to treat genetic diseases.

Actually many of these people are victims of their upbringing, of dysfunctional cultures and also they are responsible for the ways in which their own decisions have reinforced the mess. Genetics gives us a clue as to the Creators original intent for us. To live in denial of that rather than seeking to affirm our own deep God given identity is what is problematic here. Disease of any sort is not part of the Creators design.

The Bible doesn't give firm answers on questions about what to do with people who do not fit into their assigned gender... other than to love them. And that's good enough for me. I think certain conservatives have difficulty with this notion, they want everything to be easy, black and white, and are willing to scapegoat people that don't fit into their rigid categories. But that doesn't make them right in doing so. The heart of Jesus is for the marginalized, and I don't see how scapegoating fits in with that.

Loving people does not mean affirming choices and behaviours likely to destroy or further damage their lives in the long run.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of the evidence seems to be that helping transgender people live in their preferred gender helps them psychologically and socially.

I do not think many people in the world have not at some time looked at their own bodies and thought that they could probably have been stronger, prettier , bigger, smaller or whatever. There are things we can do to correct being overweight by exercising or eating right and when we are prone to diseases of one sort or another we can make sensible decisions to guard against that. But being at peace with what we are seems to me to be the key and not making unhelpful changes. Guys who take steroids to build muscle mass or women who have breast enhancements often lack this peace though some also obtain peace by the changes. To be male or to be female can accomodate a range of body shapes and being at peace with ourselves and others is the key. But transsexuals cut much more deeply into what is a far more confused identity. It seems to me that the only real help we have to guide such surgical or hormonal interventions is the physically testable reality of underlying gender identity. Maybe sometimes a person should just say these interventions and the effort of sustaining choices against the deepest realities of who they are not really worth it and they should accept themselves and get on with their lives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I do not believe medical interventions are a substitute for mental healthcare but few transgender advocates are saying that. For most transgender people, hormones and surgery are the end to a long process of deliberation and self-understanding, including working with mental healthcare workers to judge their mental health and competency to make life-altering medical decisions.

Simply having XX or XY chromosomes does not determine a person's gender. There are too many real-world examples of where that is not the case. Given the lack of an objective way to categorize gender with certainty, it falls into the realm of the subjective, and it is here that transgender people have as much right to self-determination as anyone else.

• Winner
Reactions: Rebecca12
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not believe medical interventions are a substitute for mental healthcare but few transgender advocates are saying that. For most transgender people, hormones and surgery are the end to a long process of deliberation and self-understanding, including working with mental healthcare workers to judge their mental health and competency to make life-altering medical decisions.

Simply having XX or XY chromosomes does not determine a person's gender. There are too many real-world examples of where that is not the case. Given the lack of an objective way to categorize gender with certainty, it falls into the realm of the subjective, and it is here that transgender people have as much right to self-determination as anyone else.

The simplest test for me is what does God call me. He calls me a man and I am that. Maybe this is a harder question for a transexual but genetics and prayer should give an answer and peace. Gender is not a choice. Though we can choose to affirm and clarify our gender with the choices we make

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This a Christian perspective that many Democrats will use to justify their voting.

Just as Pro life Christian perspective is what many Republicans use to Justify their voting against legislation that would effectively combat the issues you describe below, issues that if improved, would automatically reduce the number of abortions...
Oh the Irony

But in practice both parties have been completely ineffective combatting social immobility, providing an affordable, sustainable and comprehensive health care system.

That there is Gridlock is really no secret or surprise, is it?

So maybe the moral blindness of Democrats on gay marriage, abortion, false religion and sex/gender identity carries the greater weight afterall.

I disagree.
I believe the greater weight of moral blindness rests squarely on the shoulders of the Republicans.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Rebecca12
Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe sometimes a person should just say these interventions and the effort of sustaining choices against the deepest realities of who they are not really worth it and they should accept themselves and get on with their lives.

Or, maybe sometimes a person struggling with their own confusion in trying to understand how other people gender identify, should just not worry about it and get on with their own lives...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
We live in a broken world in which a person can be born or become a eunuch. This was not the original creation nor is it our future when we all get fixed.
I dont know if its Gods plan or not. But the fact is that gender variants occur and that educated people in the poll recognized that

• Agree
Reactions: Yarddog
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Republican Politicans are far more likely to be sexual deviants, child molesters, and gay hating closeted homosexuals themselves than are Democrats (Or Trans people for that matter)..
With respect. Paedophilia ignores political boundaries. It ignores status and intellect. Australia completed a Royal Commission into Child Sexual Abuse and recognized it pervaded all types of institutions and religions. While it could define common characteristics and noting it was 99% a male gender issue, it hides well into all corners of society

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Poll: 77% of Democrats with 4-Year Degrees Think Sex Not Determined at Birth

So what? 99% of evangelicals think x! 85% of Republicans think Y. It's meaningless rubbish posing as statistics. It's said that There are lies, damned lies, and statistics (attributed to British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli) seems about right.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think if you listen to people... I don't know who it was but someone said you can't die for lack of medical care (sure the ER will see you but they won't manage a chronic condition,)

The ER is not a facility designed to manage a chronic condition.

and another blamed everyone for their own health problems.

Agree, some can not assume responsibility for themselves.

I guess he doesn't have any kids born with serious health issues.

What does a child have to do with a parents own heath problems?

Our wonderful Catholic Speaker of the House

Curious - How did you determine Paul Ryan is wonderful?

likes Ayn Rand,

Curious - Is there a problem with who other people like?

who was an atheist who didn't believe in helping anybody.

Rand wrote many things, can you quote her saying what you said?

Anyway. Convince your friends to be stronger on social justice and I will vote for them

What exactly do you mean by "social justice" ?

Thanks,
God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Or, maybe sometimes a person struggling with their own confusion in trying to understand how other people gender identify, should just not worry about it and get on with their own lives...
Ah , yes.
All this naval gazing is unhealthy. In the end, it doesn't really change a thing about who you are. A lot of it is just conforming to societies expectations of what gender is anyway. There is nothing inherently female for example about wearing high heels, or inherently male about having a Mom tattoo on your upper arm. It is not just conforming to societies expectations, but conforming to what the person regards as societies expectations, often in the most stereotypical way possible.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Most of the evidence seems to be that helping transgender people live in their preferred gender helps them psychologically and socially.

If that were true, then their suicide rates wouldn't be
the same before or after surgery. They are cracked, and
should be treated by psychologists, not plastic surgeons.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Poll: 77% of Democrats with 4-Year Degrees Think Sex Not Determined at Birth

So what? 99% of evangelicals think x! 85% of Republicans think Y. It's meaningless rubbish posing as statistics. It's said that There are lies, damned lies, and statistics (attributed to British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli) seems about right.

Exactly. When right and wrong or scientific facts are
determined by nose counts, we're in trouble. Another
reason the global warming crowd is crazy.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly. When right and wrong or scientific facts are
determined by nose counts, we're in trouble. Another
reason the global warming crowd is crazy.
Wait, isn’t everybody part of the global warming crowd?

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If that were true, then their suicide rates wouldn't be
the same before or after surgery.

Source?
You’re not citing the 2011 Swedish study are you?

Upvote 0