Seattle
✟19,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This doesn't generally go over well in UMC circles, but I am a fan of Joel Osteen.

This week, I listened to the Saturday night service, the Sunday morning service and am now listening to the Sunday evening service. There has not been ONE WORD about the previous week's election, and in two of the services, there was an honoring of veterans.

I went to our UMC church this morning, heard all kinds of disparaging words about Trump, and talk of the election as if the world were coming to an end. There was no mention at all of the fact that this was the Sunday after veterans day.
As a moderate-Republican, veteran, Methodist that voted for Gary Johnson, I feel like there are more Open Minds, Open Hearts, and Open Doors at Lakewood Church (Joel Osteen's) than in my UMC church.

Pastors and church leaders: remember, when you choose to discuss partisan politics in your sermon and in official church service, you are almost always going to alienate someone.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
..or Clinton should not be part of a worship service. Worship should be about Jesus.

I agree, and nor should Osteen, but I'll leave that at that since the OP is partial, and my intention is other than to be mean or make trouble.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Speculative

Senior Veteran
May 29, 2007
Seattle
✟19,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm personally not interested in engaging in a discussion of Osteen's theology here. I'm fully aware that this forum will be hostile toward him. I only wanted to share that I am sick of partisan politics being discussed in church and at least on this one issue Osteen's church did it right, and my church did it wrong, and I'm a bit depressed about that.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm personally not interested in engaging in a discussion of Osteen's theology here. I'm fully aware that this forum will be hostile toward him. I only wanted to share that I am sick of partisan politics being discussed in church and at least on this one issue Osteen's church did it right, and my church did it wrong, and I'm a bit depressed about that.

I have to agree. Neither did my church present a political opinion.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Honestly we are all sinners trying our best to get it right. :amen:
Up here there is an in some ways similar roulette on choice at election time; but those who love and trust the Lord Jesus need to keep looking to Him (Hebrews 12.2).

Good to see you on the forums!

• Agree
Reactions: Isaiah4031
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, feeling blessed to have found this place, lonely old lady in need of good like minded conversation. :ebil:
I clicked 'agree'; (except that I don't agree that you're old! you are younger than my wife and myself!) :)

• Agree
Reactions: Isaiah4031
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My church has avoided the topic of politics completely. Thankfully as it can cause friction, I guess.

I'm not against pastors speaking on political issues, but full endorsement of one candidate can cause too much division. Have no idea who my pastor voted for.

Upvote 0