Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ah, I see. I would just refer back to post 11 on that point.

-
That is why educating yourself and getting the facts is vital.

But I erred seriously in the thread by getting into a pointless back and forth on Libertarianism, essentially we trolled each other. No one should give a rip about that kind of discussion which was not thoughtful or helpful.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,210,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
That is why educating yourself and getting the facts is vital.
That seems easy on the surface, but how do I, the average Joe,
determine what the facts are from where I am? All I have to go on is
media reporting, which is second-hand information. It's not like I'm an
eye-witness to what's being reported that I can know without a doubt
that it is correct.

Sorry -- I probably sound like a media agnostic, lol! :)

-

Upvote 0

Rebecca12

Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That seems easy on the surface, but how do I, the average Joe,
determine what the facts are from where I am? All I have to go on is
media reporting, which is second-hand information. It's not like I'm an
eye-witness to what's being reported that I can know without a doubt
that it is correct.

Sorry -- I probably sound like a media agnostic, lol! :)

-

There are resources to check how biased a particular source is, including both left and right bias. There are resources to check factual reliability of certain media resources. There are several fact check organizations. And there is misinformation about these as well, but if you are fairly well read you can generally make your way through the mud. And for a number of things you can go to more direct sources.

You will never know anything without a doubt.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,210,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, you do the best you can and be willing to change your mind. You don't throw up your arms and give up.
I never got fully enough on board with it in the first place that I'm giving it up.
I almost got sucked in, but I was willing enough to change my mind and pull
back from the drama of getting wigged out over bad information. Just look
at all the pointless bickering on political threads here, not one solving a single
problem for all the blood-pressure they raise. No thanks.

-

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What do you think politics brings out the worst in people? I mean, why can't we just agree to disagree?

I was on Hillary Clinton's page on Facebook and of course there were conservatives fighting with liberals. And there were name-calling and insults flying around.

Now, I am generally liberal, but I don't think that conservatives are horrible people. I just don't get it.

It is very scary to voice your opinion very respectfully because you have people going off on you no matter how respectful you are to them. You can't politely disagree with somebody without them calling you names.

Don't you think that's what the biggest problem is: not the bathroom laws or gay marriages or abortion, but our intolerance towards one another?

It really isn't the politics, it is the ideology. People with certain personal ideologies, tend to gravitate to a certain political group, just as certain people gravitate towards certain religions, for the same reasons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rebecca12

Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I never got fully enough on board with it in the first place that I'm giving it up.
I almost got sucked in, but I was willing enough to change my mind and pull
back from the drama of getting wigged out over bad information. Just look
at all the pointless bickering on political threads here, not one solving a single
problem for all the blood-pressure they raise. No thanks.

-
I understand. Witness my own pointless bickering on Libertarianism. I don't do politics on this forum. I do write about political issues for various publications, primarily about healthcare. I study what I write about, present facts, discuss positions and come to a conclusion. I work very hard at it and it takes a lot of time. The past few days I've had a bad cold and instead of doing that kind of writing I've frequented a few forums like this one. I certainly do not prepare my posts on these forums like I prepare if I am writing an column for a newspaper.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I think there's probably a balance. Sometimes (or mostly) agree to disagree, but it's okay to take a stand. Politics isn't academic; it ultimately results in an action that could help or harm people. You don't agree to disagree with abusers, so you might not in politics too.

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think there's probably a balance. Sometimes (or mostly) agree to disagree, but it's okay to take a stand. Politics isn't academic; it ultimately results in an action that could help or harm people. You don't agree to disagree with abusers, so you might not in politics too.

Good point

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,154,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally for me I'm loving this current massive infighting among liberals.

Some people finally showing their true colors, others learning to develop their own righteous anger and hate. A lot of important life lessons being learned.

Upvote 0

BubbaJack

Dec 24, 2016
Deep South
✟27,403.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
What do you think politics brings out the worst in people? I mean, why can't we just agree to disagree?

I was on Hillary Clinton's page on Facebook and of course there were conservatives fighting with liberals. And there were name-calling and insults flying around.

Now, I am generally liberal, but I don't think that conservatives are horrible people. I just don't get it.

It is very scary to voice your opinion very respectfully because you have people going off on you no matter how respectful you are to them. You can't politely disagree with somebody without them calling you names.

Don't you think that's what the biggest problem is: not the bathroom laws or gay marriages or abortion, but our intolerance towards one another?

As a former mod on this site once explained to me, discourse on the internet can be particularly nasty because you are not seeing the other person's face, body language, etc. In other words, it's easier to dehumanize people on the web. I can get into a nasty argument with a progressive, @0!9$!!!........then it's like "you want to get a drink?"......"okay, sure!"

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums