Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What do you think politics brings out the worst in people? I mean, why can't we just agree to disagree?

I was on Hillary Clinton's page on Facebook and of course there were conservatives fighting with liberals. And there were name-calling and insults flying around.

Now, I am generally liberal, but I don't think that conservatives are horrible people. I just don't get it.

It is very scary to voice your opinion very respectfully because you have people going off on you no matter how respectful you are to them. You can't politely disagree with somebody without them calling you names.

Don't you think that's what the biggest problem is: not the bathroom laws or gay marriages or abortion, but our intolerance towards one another?

Rebecca12

Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sometimes I agree to disagree. Sometimes not. I never agree to disagree with someone who lies. Or someone who has no factual support for a position that requires factual support. Agreeing to disagree implies at least some level of respect for the other's position.

Sometimes I think we need a little less tolerance. We are tolerating a tremendous amount of bad behavior in our country right now.

It can be difficult when people respond with an attack. Take the high road. Make sure your opinions are well grounded in fact. My political discussions tend to be heavily fact based, I don't assume bad motives on the other side, and if people attack me I pause and consider carefully how to respond. Generally, I try to bring it back to the topic rather than the deflection, which can be the purpose of the attack. Know why you are having the conversation and think about your goals before you say something.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes I agree to disagree. Sometimes not. I never agree to disagree with someone who lies. Or someone who has no factual support for a position that requires factual support. Agreeing to disagree implies at least some level of respect for the other's position.

Sometimes I think we need a little less tolerance. We are tolerating a tremendous amount of bad behavior in our country right now.

Thank you very much for your reply. That is something to think about.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I thought it was obvious: the core essence of politics is force - force of law, used to compel unwilling others to bend to your will.

Conservatives wish to force liberals to bend to conservative will. Liberals wish to force conservatives to bend to liberal will.

If they didn't try to force or fight with each another, and allowed each other the space to live in peace, then they wouldn't be conservative or liberal ... they would be libertarians. :D

Upvote 0

Rebecca12

Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought it was obvious: the core essence of politics is force - force of law, used to compel unwilling others to bend to your will.

I am not a libertarian so I would prefer you not force me and people I care about to bend to a libertarian's will.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I am not a libertarian so I would prefer you not force me and people I care about to bend to a libertarian's will.
Do as you will.

Libertarians only see the need for force if someone measurably trespasses against another, and then the force is employed only to the extent to correct and equalize the trespass.

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find I'm gradually reverting back to where I could care less
about politics, and it feels great!

-

Maybe I should start caring less as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just perceive that a lot of it is influenced by focus on what the media
says. I can't even be sure that the information I get from there is even
accurate, so I figure why let it influence my worldview?

I like how Mark Twain put it: “In religion and politics people’s beliefs
and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and
without examination, from authorities who have not themselves
examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand
from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a
brass farthing.”

-

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just perceive that a lot of it is influenced by focus on what the media
says. I can't even be sure that the information I get from there is even
accurate, so I figure why let it influence my worldview?

I like how Mark Twain put it: “In religion and politics people’s beliefs
and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and
without examination, from authorities who have not themselves
examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand
from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a
brass farthing.”

-

Interesting an informative

I never thought of it that way.

Upvote 0

Rebecca12

Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do as you will.

Libertarians only see the need for force if someone measurably trespasses against another, and then the force is employed only to the extent to correct and equalize the trespass.

Well, there are many different shades of libertarianism but I find it a philosophy of the privileged. (Though Von Hayek advocated having a minimum guaranteed income, which doesn't much sound like most of today's proponents of Libertarianism). You could say taxation to pay for social welfare programs is theft. I could say that underpaying people for their labor is theft. I could say that taking more than your share of natural resources is theft. You could say that anti-discrimination laws take away your freedom. I could say that discrimination takes away another person's freedom. And why should freedom be valued over human dignity, over justice? "Which is better--to have laws and agree, or to hunt and kill?"--Lord of the Flies.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Well, there are many different shades of libertarianism but I find it a philosophy of the privileged. (Though Von Hayek advocated having a minimum guaranteed income, which doesn't much sound like most of today's proponents of Libertarianism). You could say taxation to pay for social welfare programs is theft. I could say that underpaying people for their labor is theft. I could say that taking more than your share of natural resources is theft. You could say that anti-discrimination laws take away your freedom. I could say that discrimination takes away another person's freedom. And why should freedom be valued over human dignity, over justice? "Which is better--to have laws and agree, or to hunt and kill?"--Lord of the Flies.
isn't this becoming political debate now?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its simple....were human. We grow up in our own bodies with our own experiences never really truly knowing someone elses life. Sure we can read about someones life or see it in pictures but we can never see every second of the day that they have seen from their eyes. Because of this we think what we believe is normal and right. And alot of humans have a hard time accepting when they are wrong. We are stubborn like that sometimes. So anyone who says anything differently, especially in politics., drives us nuts. We almost want to force them to see things how we do.

Now to add to that as christians we already have a set of views we have to obey. So when a non-christians doesn't see those views, we at first are like "God has rules! How can you not understand them?".

I try to stay out of politics. If I do get involved I don't stay in the conversation to long before agreeing to disagree the leaving. Especially with non-christians since I remind myself they of course will not understand my views, just as I won't understand theirs.

Upvote 0

Rebecca12

Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
isn't this becoming political debate now?

A little. I am not even sure why. I am not especially interested in Libertarianism. So I am going to drop it. Especially as I am violating my rule of having fact based political discussions. It was a good illustration of pointlessness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
And I find freedom quite a bit lower on the list of things I value than you do. So, you take away my values to satisfy yours.
Not at all. You would be free to practice your values all you want. Just don't push them on me.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0