Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just saw Facebook now wishes everyone a 'Wonderful Winter'. Am i mistaken in that this is dilution gone mad? Fear of upsetting whoever?
So ive put it on my facebook page to ask just that. Am i justified in being absolutely livid that Christmas is being denied and demoted and the very notion that it is about the birth of Jesus Christ is being pushed aside?
I know nobody will support me on my facebook page but on here please someone reassure me?

Last edited:

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Reports state that Facebook had over 2 billion monthly users in 2017. Their demographics are reflective of the world, which means there will be all sorts of ethnic groups, nationalities, and religions who use that site. For this reason, it makes sense why Facebook would say “merry winter” and not “merry Christmas.” Obviously not every person who has a Facebook account is a Christian or lives in a culture where Christmas is widely celebrated.

By the way, I’m not a liberal, and I dislike political correctness as much as any other conservative. But there isn’t anything wrong with Facebook sending out a seasons’ greetings that is neutral across all user demographics. It’s a business decision, not PC run amok.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Reports state that Facebook had over 2 billion monthly users in 2017. Their demographics are reflective of the world....

That's a very interesting hypothesis. Had you considered that the world has a southern hemisphere and a northern hemisphere; and that it's summer in the south; when it's winter in the north?

If your hypothesis is correct; are you as eager as Facebook to disrespect half of the world, by not even recognizing that they exist?

Why not just say "happy world;" if Facebook wants to include everyone in their commercial scheme, through insincere greetings?

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
25 December is Christmas Day. Pure and simple. Birth of our Saviour. I hate political correct idiotic pandering to anyone. It is our Christian important day and we are proud of it. I do not care who doesnt like it or is offended! The dilution of our faith, the denial of Christ's name is insidiously spreading. We must stand up for our faith. You don't catch muslims tolerating any even mild insult to their faith. We need to be strong. Not mild mannered ever so nice ever so saintly and tolerant about it. He gave His life for us. Light of the world. Christmas and Easter are our days as Christians.
I cannot stand by and be wished a happy season or happy holidays or happy winter. It's stupid! It's insulting.
Oh i am so angry and sick of the attacks on our precious Lord, be it swearing using His name or denying His existence in every level. I do not concern myself about what atheists or other faiths feel about it. That is their problem.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's a very interesting hypothesis. Had you considered that the world has a southern hemisphere and a northern hemisphere; and that it's summer in the south; when it's winter in the north?

If your hypothesis is correct; are you as eager as Facebook to disrespect half of the world, by not even recognizing that they exist?

Why not just say "happy world;" if Facebook wants to include everyone in their commercial scheme, through insincere greetings?

Well said! I agree. Xx

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just saw Facebook now wishes everyone a 'Wonderful Winter'. Am i mistaken in that this is dilution gone mad? Fear of upsetting whoever?
So ive put it on my facebook page to ask just that. Am i justified in being absolutely livid that Christmas is being denied and demoted and the very notion that it is about the birth of Jesus Christ is being pushed aside?
I know nobody will support me on my facebook page but on here please someone reassure me?

(Shrugs) If you think people are living in fear of saying Merry Christmas? I would feel sorrow for them, and not anger personally. Their fear can't dilute, deny, or demote anything.

The culture maybe changing, and the reason for the season never can.

I pray for people all the time, and it doesn't matter their faith, ethic background, or anything else. I try to respect people's POV on things just as I would like for them to do the same for me.

Sadly, we do live in a very uptight culture today. Many will want you to join in the banter of their attitudes, but that just leads to divides we see today. It's surprising to me at times that people don't see that. Difference of opinion doesn't mean hatred, spite, etc. lol at least it never really did before within the general population. You always have those that have always been uptight and legalistic in their thinking. Those tended to be in the minority, but now its the culture that encourages the uptight approaches to things.

People claim the changes are the right thing to do. (Shrugs) Not necessarily. All its doing is having the population walk on eggshells.

I see them as frightened people, because they are surrounded by uptight people willing to attack for whatever reason.

I think praying for peace is a much better approach than allowing myself to think the have diluted anything. There is no sense in getting angry at the lost.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are you justified? NO, NO, No, No!!!!! What makes you think that wishing people a Wonderful Winter has anything to do with Christmas? Was there a picture of a Christmas scene on it or do you think that they may have been talking about the 3 months of winter which just started, yesterday?????

Stop being so paranoid about all of this "so-called" politically correctness that conservatives go crazy about.

• Agree
Reactions: Rebecca12
Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

That's a very snarky, irritating comment based on a false premise. Have you considered that it wasn't me who sent the seasons' greetings? You're criticizing me for a harmless error that Facebook made.

Your uninformed comment is incorrect. You must be so eager to criticize me by not recognizing the accuracy of your thoughts.

Why not just ignore posts you don't like?

By the way, learn how to use semicolons correctly.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That's a very snarky, irritating comment based on a false premise.

What false premise?

Have you considered that it wasn't me who sent the seasons' greetings?

It was a Winter greeting, not Spring, Summer, nor Autumn. I considered that you condoned what you will soon purport to be an error on their part. I would interpret that as an error on your part.

You're criticizing me for a harmless error that Facebook made.

I'm critical of condonation of errors. Harmless? You think that it's harmless to fake a gesture of supporting a religious group, in a way that won't offend those who have contempt for their beliefs?

2 John 1:10

New American Standard Bible
If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting;

Your uninformed comment is incorrect.

What relevant information did I miss? What comment is incorrect?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums