✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Guns make money, free lunches do not.

I'm not sure how the firearm industry sets their prices - is it anything like the razor industry or video game industry?

Most companies sell the reusable product (plastic razor, game console) for a loss and recoup the losses on the sell of consumables (razor blades and games). Nintendo is the exception - they build cheaper consoles than Sony and Microsoft and can get away with selling for a profit.

Do firearm manufacturers sell their guns at a loss to recoup the losses in ammunition sales? Not really a question of particular political importance - just a subject I'm curious about.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure how the firearm industry sets their prices - is it anything like the razor industry or video game industry?

Most companies sell the reusable product (plastic razor, game console) for a loss and recoup the losses on the sell of consumables (razor blades and games). Nintendo is the exception - they build cheaper consoles than Sony and Microsoft and can get away with selling for a profit.

Do firearm manufacturers sell their guns at a loss to recoup the losses in ammunition sales? Not really a question of particular political importance - just a subject I'm curious about.

It depends on the company...some gun companies allow their product to be sold via the traditional supply & demand model.

Companies like Glock set a minimum price for their authorized dealers irrespective of supply and demand. For example, if a big outfit like Cabela's has a huge backstock of Glock pistols, and could sell them for $300 and make a profit, they don't have that option...if Glock says "You can't sell these for less than $479", then the store has to abide by that if they want to remain an authorized Glock dealer. (unless something's changed since the last time I spoke with the Glock rep at Fin Feather & Fur outfitters)

When prompted for a reason behind doing it that way, he told me that it's to encourage buyers to go with the newest models...for a couple of reasons, 1st, because of profits (of course), and 2nd, because they make enhancements to their firearms with each generation and want the latest and greatest to be out there in circulation so that when people see a Glock, they're seeing the best possible Glock.

So in a nutshell, if a person's standing at the counter and their options are a Gen3 Glock for $300 and a Gen4 for $500, there's a good chance they're going to go with the Gen3. However, if their choices are the Gen3 for $479 vs. Gen4 for $500, the person's more likely to say "what the heck, it's only $20 more for the latest and greatest, might as well go with the Gen4"

However, as it relates to the OP, I don't see how allowing teachers to be armed at school would have any impact on "Guns making money" or school lunch programs.

If a teacher already has a license to carry, chances are pretty good that they own a gun already (which means the profits have already been made), it's not as if they pass a law saying "teachers can now carry", and suddenly millions of teachers run out to buy new guns.

...and as far as school lunches not making money...that depends on the district really.

If the school opts in to the National Free Lunch Program, they're prohibited from making a profit, even if a profit was technically possible. So it actually ends up being counter-productive to the cause of making the wealthy "pay a little more" as our president would say.

So the government subsidizes them for the needy students, but for the remainder of the students who are paying, they're not allowed to make a profit off of them. They have to sell those lunches for $2.25 a pop because they're not allowed to do anything better than a break-even...even if the other 90% of the students's family could (and would be willing to) pay $2.75 for the lunch...and even though that money could be used to improve the school in ways that would benefit everyone.

That's why some school districts decided to go the free market route and have begun opting out of the free lunch program by subsidizing the needy themselves, and in turn, allowing themselves to make a modest gain on their lunch supply investments and then turning around and putting that money to good use. They work with local food companies in order to buy food in bulk for a discount, and then price it in such away that they can afford to subsidize needy children, pass along a little bit of cost savings to the paying students (allowing them to buy it for less than if they were to purchase it from a store on their own), as well as kick a couple thousand dollars into school programs at the end of the year.

...obviously in a district with a 70% poverty rate, this solution simply isn't possible, however, in a district with a poverty rate below 20%, it's more beneficial to go the free market route for school lunches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is this for responding to plitical memes on the other thread?
Not sure I understand what this thread is about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There was a fun "If you could travel back in time, how would you stop the civil war?" thread a few weeks back. Unfortunately, it devolved into an abortion thread within the second post and got obliterated.

I wanted to share the image I was going to post into that thread.

timetraveltips.jpg

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
There was a fun "If you could travel back in time, how would you stop the civil war?" thread a few weeks back. Unfortunately, it devolved into an abortion thread within the second post and got obliterated.

I've often thought about this, and I generally realise that though I know the general science, I don't know enough about the practicalities of making a technology real. eg: Where is oil, and how do you extract it from the ground? What is soap made from? Where do magnets come from? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Just posted this one:

10686944_446320508839121_8063592148691847363_n.jpg

Thought it was worth remembering that it was FOXNews who went to court to defend their right to lie... and won.

The Media Can Legally Lie

Reactions: chandraclaws
Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Protection of life is a basic function of government. Expropriation and freebies is not.

That is why the Declaration says "Life, liberty, pursuit of happiness ... to protect these rights, governments are established among men". Why are governments established among men? To protect rights like the right to live and not be murdered. They are not established so you can buy people's votes with handout programs.

The thread tag says "Funnies". The OP's argument may be a joke, but it is not funny.

Reactions: jenny1972
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Protection of life is a basic function of government. Expropriation and freebies is not.

That is why the Declaration says "Life, liberty, pursuit of happiness ... to protect these rights, governments are established among men". Why are governments established among men? To protect rights like the right to live and not be murdered. They are not established so you can buy people's votes with handout programs.

So guns protect life, feeding the hungry doesn't.

Sure, why not?

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

timetraveltips.jpg

I think the ease of inventing such things is...overstated there ^_^

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.