Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look here, do you see that politics are works of the flesh? I do.

Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Once again, it occurs to me that contentions and dissensions can, and have occurred in the body of Christ without the involvement of "politics".

Also, scripture makes a case for God-ordained government (Romans 13). It just so happens that our government has a representative form, which mandates some involvement with politics as a civic duty, which Romans 13 enjoins us to fulfill.

Again, I think what you are saying is that we shouldn't let our political leanings divide is in the body of Christ.

With this I agree ...

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Once again, it occurs to me that contentions and dissensions can, and have occurred in the body of Christ without the involvement of "politics".

Also, scripture makes a case for God-ordained government (Romans 13). It just so happens that our government has a representative form, which mandates some involvement with politics as a civic duty, which Romans 13 enjoins us to fulfill.

Again, I think what you are saying is that we shouldn't let our political leanings divide is in the body of Christ.

With this I agree ...
Once again let me say that just because we have sinned in the past doesnt make it right to do so now.

Also, that God ordained Government in Romans was a pagan government. It was not Godly.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What should christians do when they disagree (some of which fall into the political realm) ?

BTW, I agree with you that christians shouldn't separate into contending camps based upon our disagreements.

I have been disappointed by actions and words from BOTH sides of our political divide ...

Soon enough the answer is -- "forgive", and "love your enemies" -- because sooner or later, you will need to. We know how important it is to do as He said to do, because in that same sermon on the mount, He said Matthew 7:24-27. We cannot endure, last, make it, unless we put His instructions into action.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I very agree with the OP. I think politics is just 'worldly'. I include not just political talking point style stuff, but even the ideas behind the positions called "conservative" and "liberal". At best, even the ideals there are only tiny bits of truth which are so much less than the whole truth, which Christ says to us. A person could call themselves a 'conservative Christian' or a 'liberal Christian' only until they learn more fully all Christ said, and then they can call themselves simply "Christian", and this is a better name.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I very agree with the OP. I think politics is just 'worldly'. I include not just political talking point style stuff, but even the ideas behind the positions called "conservative" and "liberal". At best, even the ideals there are only tiny bits of truth which are so much less than the whole truth, which Christ says to us.
Thats the way i see it too. Politics are nothing more that truth mixed with deception.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
See here, the wisdom from above is pure, not diluted with the Lies of politicians, its also gentle, willing to yield, and peaceable, unlike politics.

James 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy

I was reminded of His wording --

29 "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was reminded of His wording --

29 "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Amen, i love that scripture.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics is by far is the most contentious thing we could ever follow. The bible says that we should not fret when evil men prosper in their wickedness, so why do we fret over politics? Also, the bible teaches that contention and division within the Church is wrong. Why are we divided over politics?

First, (I mean this with no ill will) don't assume everyone in church is a believer, and not every "believer" wants to live like Christ. Problem 1

Second, I think religion is probably a bit more contentious, or at least on par with politics.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First, (I mean this with no ill will) don't assume everyone in church is a believer, and not every "believer" wants to live like Christ. Problem 1

Second, I think religion is probably a bit more contentious, or at least on par with politics.
Its not supposed to be though. We are taught to put away contention.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Apostle Paul said that we have died and been risen with Christ, and he says our citizenship is in Heaven. He teaches us that we should look at the unseen eternal things as apposed to the visible temporary things. He teaches us to put away debate and contention. Such things are considered immature and carnal. He teaches us to be separate from the world, which is holiness. He says the kingdom is about peace, righteousness and joy in the spirit. That's not politics.

Put all that together and what do you see?

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once again let me say that just because we have sinned in the past doesnt make it right to do so now.

Also, that God ordained Government in Romans was a pagan government. It was not Godly.
The point you miss is that when the Pharisees tried to trap Jesus with popular opinion that was strongly against the Roman government, Jesus taught us to not complain about even an oppressive ruler. You start a contentious thread to complain about politicians. You associate them as "evil men prosper in their wickedness". You pick scripture to judge politicians, but in a democracy, politicians are just a reflection of the constituents. If you think politicians are divided, it is because the country is divided. And what did Jesus say about a divided kingdom? This is the work of Satan, to divide what was a Christian nation; for Hitler, a true fascist could not defeat us, and the communists could not defeat us, but hyper fervor to a political allegiance will bring our end.

Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0

The Brown Brink

Apr 9, 2017
Kentucky
✟27,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Apostle Paul said that we have died and been risen with Christ, and he says our citizenship is in Heaven. He teaches us that we should look at the unseen eternal things as apposed to the visible temporary things. He teaches us to put away debate and contention. Such things are considered immature and carnal. He teaches us to be separate from the world, which is holiness. He says the kingdom is about peace, righteousness and joy in the spirit. That's not politics.

Put all that together and what do you see?

Jesus said Love thy Neighbor.
You SAY you're going to follow Jesus, but then you vote...and your vote SHOWS that you don't follow Jesus.

You SAY it's because "politics are bad."
Instead, maybe you are.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Democracy is the problem. Voting is a sin, where does scripture speak of democracy? The Kingdom of God is not a demoncrazy it's a monarchy.

So do you think no Christians should ever vote?

That leaves a lot of mankind submitting to authority that may be less in line with their beliefs, without trying to prevent that authority from being placed into power.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Brown Brink

Apr 9, 2017
Kentucky
✟27,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Democracy is the problem. Voting is a sin, where does scripture speak of democracy? The Kingdom of God is not a demoncrazy it's a monarchy.

If democracy is the problem, how SHOULD we govern ourselves here on earth?

Don't we need laws, here on earth, to govern our behavior?

Sure, we could all be "perfect" and never need laws...but that would be...Heaven...wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So do you think no Christians should ever vote?

That leaves a lot of mankind submitting to authority that may be less in line with their beliefs, without trying to prevent that authority from being placed into power.
How has your voting worked out for you? Is your government lined up with your beliefs? We are lucky we have a constitution because we would have voted ourselves into the gulag.

Upvote 0

The Brown Brink

Apr 9, 2017
Kentucky
✟27,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do laws have to do with democracy? The Torah was a product of democracy? Was Moses elected by his constituents?

Our laws CREATE our democracy.

How should we govern ourselves, if not by laws?
What form of governance should we enact?

Upvote 0

The Brown Brink

Apr 9, 2017
Kentucky
✟27,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How has your voting worked out for you? Is your government lined up with your beliefs? We are lucky we have a constitution because we would have voted ourselves into the gulag.

How has voting worked out for you?

I myself live in a safe place, with policeman and roads and hospitals.
I have laws to protect me.
I have access to free education.
I can earn a living.
I can move about freely.
I can speak out freely.
I have food and drink.
I can sleep at night without fear...

These are all good things, for which I am grateful.
My vote helps me.

Do you not have these same things as I have?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.