Police used tear gas to clear protesters from Lafayette park so Trump could take a photo at St. John

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No, but as I said it will be much easier than 3rd degree.

I did some criminal work, but I’ve been safely tucked away in academia for over 30 years. Much has changed since I was last in a courtroom.
I don't even think 3rd is a possibility based on a 2000 Minnesota Supreme Court case. I think it's 2nd or manslaughter. If I were betting I would place a guilty on manslaughter only.

I was last in a courtroom right before the Corona crazy hit. I can't wait to get back.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This "report" of Business Insider is very incomplete. At some point, the crowd was warned three times that they had to clear the park. Then, Pres. Trump gave his Rose Garden speech (President Donald Trump's June 1 Anti-Riot Speech) against rioters and for justice in George Floyd's death.
Yes he talks about a lot of things, but since his actions are the complete opposite of what he says, why would anyone (except his ever dutiful base of course) listen to him at this point? :scratch:

St. John's Church was partly burned by rioters the night before, so Trump was correct to bring that to people's attention. Instead, the media like Business Insider said it was a "photo-op."
That would be because it was just a photo/op. Nothing more. If he'd been interested in helping he would have met with the people who's building it was, instead he had those people driven away with tear gas and rubber bullets. Now, to me? I'd say if I was going to do something other then a photo/op teargassing the people who's building it is doesn't seem like the best way to help.

Then, Trump went to the John Paul II memorial to sign an executive order for religious freedom.
Yeah...about that:
Washington Archbishop Calls Trump's Visit to Catholic Shrine 'Baffling and Reprehensible'
Washington Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory said he was “baffled” by Trump’s visit to the shrine and called it “reprehensible that any Catholic facility would allow itself to be so egregiously misused and manipulated in a fashion that violates our religious principles, which call us to defend the rights of all people even those with whom we might disagree.”

In interpreting Scripture and people's actions, it's always important to know the context,
Wouldn't context include someones actions as well as what they say? Because while people can always say great things, I remember what James said about peoples faith being shown from what they do as opposed to what they say. President Trump made a speech and while he was talking about "standing with peaceful protesters" he was having peaceful protesters tear gassed, shot with rubber bullets and driven away so he could get his picture taken. That's the context.

which news media doesn't seem to understand nowadays.
I don't know, they seemed to have gotten it right this time

Take this observation from a retired English teacher and pastor.
and you can take this observation from someone who's been involved in protests and politics in Chicago and other places for over 50+ years. I know photo/ops when I see them and both those were photo/ops designed to play to his base, nothing more. :wave:
tulc(would also like to thank Bruce Leiter for his service to the community around him as a teacher and a pastor: well done bro!) :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't even think 3rd is a possibility based on a 2000 Minnesota Supreme Court case. I think it's 2nd or manslaughter. If I were betting I would place a guilty on manslaughter only.

And I think they are going to get this idiot for 2nd degree. I hope I’m correct.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It’s a historic church. The Episcopalians who built it two hundred years ago were of a different caliber...
You mean the Episcopalians who built the church favored tear gassing innocent protestors?

Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean the Episcopalians who built the church favored tear gassing innocent protestors?
...not to mention driving the current Episcopalians serving in that church away so he could get his picture taken? :scratch:
tulc(is just wondering)

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
@redleghunter is right on this issue. I would go on to say that the sole concern of the government now must be to restore order, by separating the rioting tares from the protesting wheat. I would say that as far as this process is concerned, optics are irrelevant, because they will be distorted, and lies, for example, the lie about tear gas being used, will be perpetuated even by bishops (hopefully not knowingly, but this does in my opinion highlight the need for an investigation into the Episcopal Church and other politically active mainline churches which are known for abusing members who refuse to accept their new political doctrine).

The First Ammendment has also been savagely and illegally abused by state and local governments which continue to suppress ordinary religious services at churches, mosques and synagogues, while allowing these protests, and in some cases even tolerating riots, which have always been illegal in the US. These governments need to be held to account for their abuse of religious people.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Absolutely.

They’re even better when they have no pews, in the oriental tradition. Pews actually have a fairly dark history. The modern environment we have where there are no pew rents, and there exists a nice assortment of literature including the Bible, a hymnal, a Book of Common Prayer or other service book, and so on, is a relatively recent phenomenon, but a huge improvement on how things were in say, 1850.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(snip)for example, the lie about tear gas being used, will be perpetuated even by bishops (hopefully not knowingly, but this does in my opinion highlight the need for an investigation into the Episcopal Church and other politically active mainline churches which are known for abusing members who refuse to accept their new political doctrine). (snip)
I'm curious why you think this part is a lie? since it's already been conceded it's true?
VERIFY: Were protesters tear-gassed to clear the way for Trump's walk to church?
Technically, yes. The U.S. Park Service used pepper balls and smoke canisters, which irritate the eyes and throat and cause coughing, to disperse the protesters. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says, “Riot control agents (sometimes referred to as ‘tear gas’) are chemical compounds that temporarily make people unable to function by causing irritation to the eyes, mouth, throat, lungs, and skin.”
tulc(hopes that clears up any misunderstanding) :wave:

Upvote 0